OP
OP
Megability

Megability

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had time tonight to start building the stand but soon realized some needed pieces were shipped UNDER the 300lb tank, hmmm...

I’ll have to get some help to move it off the pallet first, kinda too bad they packed it that way, it makes you move the tank twice during installation...

In the meantime, been catching up on all the excellent Bulk Reef Supply videos, I especially like their BRS160 series building a 160 gallon from the very beginning, it’s definitely helping my own build ;) check ‘em out!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Megability

Megability

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Geez, watchin‘ all these BRS videos and just researching stuff for my new tank I‘m realizing how much I just don’t know... even after 10 years with a pretty successful tank, since it was a BioCube and an all-in-one I just didn’t have to or get around to venturing into all these other features of this hobby like plumbing, sumps, skimmers, dosing, auto-topoffs, controllers, etc., it’s cool but a bit daunting
-but that’s what makes reefing so addicting! :D

OP
OP
Megability

Megability

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Linking a post I made in a specific forum:

OP
OP
Megability

Megability

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Linking a post I made in a specific forum:

OP
OP
Megability

Megability

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank‘s certainly not ready yet but I couldn’t help myself, I bought a new frag for it already! :)
-some super bright Eagle Eyes zoanthids...
Just gotta keep ‘em algae-free in my BioCube29 for a while...

FD22AA74-E996-4C5A-911D-A1E0A0FC6DB5.jpeg

OP
OP
Megability

Megability

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading many others’ build threads and further research it just seems to make sense to rig my new tank for automatic water changes, and a cool project in itself! :p

So I plan to use my garage, thankfully only about 25 feet away from the tank, and will run the 3 water tubes up over the rafters, down into the wall, and out into the tank. A white line for RO/DI and to replenish the top-off reservoir, black line for waste water out of the tank and just down the drain, then blue line for newly mixed saltwater to replace it. I’ll build a mixing station and add a sink too, that will be a nice upgrade to the garage as well.

becon776

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
di NOT pit anything with vermetid in that new tank! i started a new build and closed a ten year tank bc of them

Darins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased the 625 myself and i read through your thread for some pointers/gear selections.
Curious how things are going since your last post.

ThatDPTguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! I'm looking forward to more updates on your build. I just transferred everything to my new 625xxl. I love the tank.

-ThatDPTguy

OP
OP
Megability

Megability

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long overdue... but I’m back on track to set up this tank, built the stand last weekend and am debating some electrical upgrades and/or running water lines through the wall first before I place the tank, but hopefully soon...

B75F0078-90CD-49A4-A8D9-214F2F4F3938.jpeg

OP
OP
Megability

Megability

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:
OP
OP
Megability

Megability

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do NOT put anything with vermetid in that new tank! i started a new build and closed a ten year tank bc of them.
I hear ya! I certainly have several in my current 10+ year old tank and they get annoying.

I was planning on starting from scratch in this new tank with all new rock, but I’ve also read lots of posts about biodiversity being improved and thus cycle and pest algae decreased by using real live rock , not just the bottled bacteria.

So I am still leaning toward that; seeding the new tank with a rock or 2 from my current tank, and I guess I’ll just hope no vermitid cross over...

OP
OP
Megability

Megability

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the new 20Amp circuit with GFCI installed yesterday, and ran 3 water tubes up and over to the garage too, for the eventual auto-water changes and top-off top-offs ;)

7C14A967-3BD7-46E8-A366-A0FE6E2B35B8.jpeg

I had planned to move the existing outlet to the right so it can be accessed more easily through the cabinet but it wasn’t possible, so I’m just gonna use this low-profile extension and then an in-line GFCI for the second circuit, a redundancy for a second pump & heater...

OP
OP
Megability

Megability

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Placed the sump/fuge tank in the cabinet and added this cool LED light strip along the top inside just for visibility...

A1757D93-3137-4494-8D99-122540B84EEC.jpeg

(from Amazon, link not working)
Wobsion White Led Strip Lights, Under Counter Lights for Kitchen, Flexible Under Cabinet Led Light for Kitchen,Shelf,Cupboard,Desk,Mirror,6.6 Feet DIY Rope Light,12V UL Listed,120 LEDs,6000K,4 Panel
Link to light

Last edited:
OP
OP
Megability

Megability

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I'm FINALLY back on track with the tank build! geez... no stopping me now!

I rounded up some help to move the 300lb tank in from my garage, placed it and the cabinet in their final spot, leveled it all, then leveled it again after it was 50% full, then again at full, and checked it all again after a couple days... perfect!

I set up the LED90 lights, Sicce Sycra SDK 7.0 return pump to get some turnover and test for leaks, and started building the aquascape.

I'm using all MarcoRocks and want to do a minimalistic type ‘scape with I’m thinking 3 separate pieces and small footprint, to provide a lot of free space and swim room.

After I built this large piece with a swim-through I watched the excellent BRS video on building an NSA piece (negative space) and totally want to try that too, just gotta wait for more glue and mortar to arrive…

7C336FB9-ABB8-4EC6-B897-9E8C2506806C.jpeg

ReefingInTheBuff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Return Pump Choice:

After reading about as much as I could process I went ahead with ordering the Red Sea-recommenced Sicce Syncra SDC 7.0 return pump, it’s variable controlled via WiFi and app up to 1,700gph, quiet and with lots of features like an eco/night mode, and on sale for the holidays

I did read some reviews that the 7.0 model specifically was perhaps louder than it should be, but I figured I’m going to take my chances they’ve fixed any issues and/or be ready to return it if I do get any...
1E677E2C-62AE-48A2-84AE-196ADA91D787.jpeg BE86E5BE-E186-4E7C-B98B-DEDB25463B51.jpeg
Great pump choice! I went with 9.0 on my 750 and it’s so strong I had to dial it back to 15% or I would be getting splash over sides in my sump area. I’m a noob so if anyone knows what I’m doing wrong let me know.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back