Mehaffydr 225 Tank rebuild

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been reefing for over ten years now. But about 3 years ago I had a major setback. I moved from Missouri to Alabama in 2012 and successfully moved my entire reef. Then when planning a local move there was a major mistake at the utility company and they prematurely shut off power at my house. I had sold off some corals prior to this mishap to some local Huntsville reefers in anticipation of the move but lost alot of livestock. This was in Nov 2012. I have finally settled down in a permanent house in Harvest and am rebuilding and setting up my tank. With all the moving and storage time the acrylic was in bad shape so first order of business was to completely refinish the tank. Fist i started sanding with 400 grit, then 600 then 1000 then 1500 and finally 2000 grit wet dry paper. Then polished with Novus acrylic polish.
IMG_1720.JPG

This is after the first rounds of sanding.
IMG_1721.JPG

The polishing with Novus has begun.
IMG_1729.JPG

Polished and ready to start plumbing.

Next plans are to get sump and closed loop system plumbed.
Closed loop will be driven with Reeflo Hammerhead pump.
I am using MRC2R with a 3' extension so this things a beast skimmer to remove impurities.

Ill post more as I get plumbing goiong this weekend.

Thanks for looking.

Below are picture from before the crash.
Tank201.JPG

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice job on the acrylic...that came out nice. Good luck with the build and I'm signing up to follow along.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a long work week I am able to again start making process on the build. I have purchased and ordered a lot of PVC fittings and Linelok fittings. Now its time to start interior plumbing for the closed loop system. I have the drains in place 3ea. 2" drains and 5 1" returns. All returns will have a valve for control of water flow. There are 2ea. returns at the top for return water from Sump.
Below is pic of tank with drains along with the returns from the sump.
IMG_1737.JPG

I have started pulling out my old rock from the old system that has been stored in my garage for the last 3-4 years its completely dried of course so it will take some time to reestablish the tank. I will be getting some pieces of live rock from some local reefers to get things going. Below are some pics of the rock as you can see I have some very nice large pieces. I think this will make for some nice aquascape.
IMG_1738.JPG

I have also completely cleaner my MRC2R skimmer. I have a 3' extension tube on this thing, I know now days it may be considered old school but it really works and keeps this tank clean.
IMG_1736.JPG

Tomorrow I will finish the closed loop returns and get the rock work started.
I have sent the Reeflo pump into Reeflo and they are completely rebuilding it for just over $150.00. They are great to do business with.
I plan on having water in this thing within the next couple of weeks.
I am hard plumbing the closed loop and the sump.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn't stand not working on this so rather than go to bed tonight I have been doing rock work. This is the first preliminary setup. Nothing is glued yet so I still have options but I'm liking the setup so far. I have all of the internal closed loop fittings installed and strategically hidden in this rock. The under tank plumbing is not started yet. That will be the pain in the neck part. I am planning on having a good amount of open area for fish to swim freely and open areas in the rock for hiding places.
IMG_1740.JPG

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been busy with work but I was able to make a little progress this week. I just got my Hammerhead pump back from Reeflo. Great service as the pump was in pretty bad shape they totally rebuilt and replaced the end cover including shipping only about $150.00 and it took less than 2 weeks including transport both ways.
Started the plumbing so far I have soaked all the working parts of my 2 Coralife 1270 pumps and put those back together. they are for return. I am running both side by side returning to opposite ends of the tank with Linelok fittings.
IMG_0076.jpg

This is the back of the tank with the return lines in place. Both have check valves because with the Linelok fittings I don't want too much water going back to the sump in a power outage.
IMG_0077.JPG

The artwork is thanks to my Grandaughter she loves to hang out with me as I work on the tank.
I should be able to fill with freshwater for a leak test this weekend.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Project is cumming along. As of tonight Closed loop, Sump and returns are all plumbed. I have started making RODI water and started filling the tank with fresh water for testing of the plumbing system. next project is too hang the lights but I'm trying to decide what lights too use. I have 2 Outer Orbit fixtures with each having 2ea. 250 watt MH and 4ea. 36" T5 so this would be 1000 watt Mh and 308 watts of T5 , My other option is I have 3ea 150 watt chinese Black Box LED's.
IMG_1746.JPG

IMG_1745.JPG

IMG_1747.JPG

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good...nice progress.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water test this morning was a complete success no leaks:) Hammerhead on closed loop defiantly moves a lot of water and it all hidden in the rock work
Now to start finishing off the stand and get lights up.
I think I’m going to cover the stand with white FRP to give it good protection and a nice clean look

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been a little slow to update my build, Sorry. I have been making some good progress the last few weeks. The first week of Feb I tried to get my MRS-2R skimmer going but the pump I had was seized from sitting so I ordered a new Blueline MD70. This thing is a beast it pump 1750 GPH with Max head of 39 feet. I then built a nice stand for the skimmer with the help of my Black Lab pup Harley
IMG_0118.JPG

IMG_1769.JPG

Skimmer stand wood cut with my helper looking on.
IMG_1770.JPG

Skimmer stand ready for paint. Yes its a little overbuilt but I like it that way. Its extremely sturdy no wobble.
IMG_1779.JPG

Skimmer installed plumbed and functioning!

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a little out of order here.
Tank is filled and circulating since about Feb 3rd. I added live sand and really clouded up the water it took a few days to get cleared out.
IMG_0085.JPG

Just a couple of my old light fixtures. I'm having trouble it seams like all my old stuff works a little bit but nothing works completly except for a couple of Red Sea 1270 return pumps.
IMG_1796.JPG

Tank cleared up nicely and I started moving fish from the QT to the main tank.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't updated lately but I have been busy getting the tank work completed.
I purchased some 1 1/2" thick foam from Lowes and cut to fit the stand to cut down on noise, Next I will be covering the outside. I'm thinking I will use White FRP panels this should be a nice clean look.
I also bought some new lights. I had a lot of old mix match lighting but it seemed like every fixture had issues. My MH-T5 fixtures only 1/2 of the T5's would light. My LED black boxes some worked and some partially worked, they were all old so I decided it was time for new lighting. I don't have the budget for Ecotech and I did have good growth with the old Black boxes so with the new improvements being made I decided on new updated Black boxes. I looked at a few and read a lot of reviews on this forum and others. I liked SB reeflights but they had none in stock so I was concerned about warranty service and general service if they don't have the commitment to have them in stock. I ended up deciding on Mars Aqua. They have stock in the US and I like that they have more Blue than White about 65/35 instead of the others that are closer to 55/45.
I bought 4 of the Mars Aqua lights and then got some aluminum angle and made a fixture that I painted white, to hold them all along with one of the old black boxes I had that still worked. I've only had them a few days but I do like them so far. I have the blue channel at 60% and the white at 40% but may adjust to get them at the level that looks best.
IMG_1834.JPG

IMG_1835.JPG

Still have to get out the zip ties and do some wire clean up.
IMG_1838.JPG

IMG_1837.JPG

Still working on construction of the interior walls of my building. And have to paint the floor as the weather warms up and dries out a bit. My wife is not really fond of my tanks so I had to build a building to house this tank and equipment. Please excuse the mess as its still an ongoing project but but lat spring this should all come together nicely. I also have a 5000 gal koi pond as you can see in these pictures.
IMG_0089.JPG

Bathroom and Sauna on the left with outdoor shower, and tank room on the right.
IMG_0090.JPG

As you can see there still work to be done but I do all of this myself no contractors no help. I built the building from the ground up along with the landscaping and the Koi pond The only thing here I did not do was the swimming pool. This has been a 2 year project so far and still going.
IMG_1794.JPG

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been a while since my last update and I have made a few changes. I have added a skimate locker that is DIY I posted it in the DIY forum. I also added a 1/2 HP Penguin Chiller. I have also added corals for the WWC, and Acan lord live sales.
IMG_0177.JPG

IMG_0181.JPG

IMG_0182.JPG

Things are progressing well my current fish list is Blue Hippo Tang, Powder Brown Tang, Red Sea Sailfin Tang, Purple Tang, Pair of Ocelaris Clowns, Yellow Head Jawfish, and Blue Reef Chromis. The only other fish I would like to add is a pistol shrimp and pair of shrimp gobies and later after tank ages more I will add a Manderin. Other than that just need to add more corals.
I also just purchased a KR620 Kalk reactor from another reefer that I expect to receive next week.

Thanks For looking.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been way too long since my last update and a lot has happened. First thing is that I purchased an ATI 6 bulb dim able 36" T-5 light which is centered on the tank with the 4 Mars Aqua LED's on each side (2 per side).
I then built a counter top area complete with sink and shelf for a place to do water testing and other tank tasks.
IMG_2236.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just about 6 weeks ago I made what I'm thinking is my best purchase so far. I got an Apex controller along with ATK, DOS and DDR. With a very busy work schedule and travel this has really help to stabilize the tank parameters and I am already seeing a difference in the corals.
IMG_2233.JPG

IMG_2234.JPG

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a current FTS with a few frags I picked up today from a local guy here in Huntsville AL H@rry of H@rry's Frags.
IMG_2222.JPG

Coraline is covering most of the rocks and the fish are fat and happy.

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great update...thanks for doing so. Tank is looking good.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back