mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You remember this thing? It’s grown a bit
Thats looking great I remember it really struggled at the beginning so glad to see it’s looking so good. I now have 15 rose bubble tips just from splits off of the one I got from you

wadesims2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats looking great I remember it really struggled at the beginning so glad to see it’s looking so good. I now have 15 rose bubble tips just from splits off of the one I got from you
That’s great I lost mine in a tank crash

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been a week or so since my last update so thought I would post some progress but sorry to say not much. Last Sunday I started feeling a little under the weather and Tuesday I was tested fr Covid. The test was positive so I have been quarantined at home and not really feeling like working on the tank. Which really sucks because the weather has been ideal. This morning I woke up fever free and just couldn't stand it any more so i went out and got some fiberglass work done. I bought some new fiberglass last wee at the suggestion of another forum member. I have been using strand mat which just has random fibers in all directions. This last layer was a woven fiberglass which is more like a piece of cloth. I'm not really sure if this was necessary but it sure couldn't hurt to have these opposing layers each providing a little different structural integrity. SO today I layered the back and the entire bottom so at this point the fiberglass work is nearly complete. I need to do the side wall with this last layer and I will call the fiberglass work complete. Then I will need to sand the entire thing which is nasty work and then the painting will begin. I also received my epoxy paint today.
My son in law works at Sherwin williams so this is the epoxy paint I am using.
IMG_3581.JPG

This is what the tank looks like currently after today's work. The walls all have 4 layers the corners are up to 7 or 8 and the bottom has 3 layers
IMG_3580.JPG

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update after some research and looking at tech data on the paint It appears my son in law got me the wrong epoxy. This one shows Not safe for potable water what I am getting will be Sherwin Williams Macropoxy 5500 which specifically is used for container of potable water.

wadesims2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been a week or so since my last update so thought I would post some progress but sorry to say not much. Last Sunday I started feeling a little under the weather and Tuesday I was tested fr Covid. The test was positive so I have been quarantined at home and not really feeling like working on the tank. Which really sucks because the weather has been ideal. This morning I woke up fever free and just couldn't stand it any more so i went out and got some fiberglass work done. I bought some new fiberglass last wee at the suggestion of another forum member. I have been using strand mat which just has random fibers in all directions. This last layer was a woven fiberglass which is more like a piece of cloth. I'm not really sure if this was necessary but it sure couldn't hurt to have these opposing layers each providing a little different structural integrity. SO today I layered the back and the entire bottom so at this point the fiberglass work is nearly complete. I need to do the side wall with this last layer and I will call the fiberglass work complete. Then I will need to sand the entire thing which is nasty work and then the painting will begin. I also received my epoxy paint today.
My son in law works at Sherwin williams so this is the epoxy paint I am using.
IMG_3581.JPG

This is what the tank looks like currently after today's work. The walls all have 4 layers the corners are up to 7 or 8 and the bottom has 3 layers
IMG_3580.JPG
Wow looking good

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a good day today after overdoing it yesterday. I was able to get the woven cloth on the final side and a couple of corners that needed the woven cloth. I am really close to being complete with the fiberglass.:):):)
I do still have a little resin and glass to do and then sanding the entire inside that won't be fun but It will be great to start the epoxy paint. I will be painting by next weekend.
Update on Paint. They actually did give me the wrong paint so that has to be exchanged.
Glass from @glasscages should be here in a couple of weeks.
I think I will be doing a water test sometime in January.

wadesims2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I just want to give you a fair warning if your glass is supposed to be here in a couple of weeks you won’t be ready to water test that until mid February you might get away with the beginning of February but I would give it six weeks to cure I just received a tank with similar materials in the thickness of your seams takes a long time to cure mine was a minimum of four weeks

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I just want to give you a fair warning if your glass is supposed to be here in a couple of weeks you won’t be ready to water test that until mid February you might get away with the beginning of February but I would give it six weeks to cure I just received a tank with similar materials in the thickness of your seams takes a long time to cure mine was a minimum of four weeks
Thanks for the heads up I was wondering about that but had not really researched that overall curing time yet. I will wait as long as it takes so revision on timeline water in tank late February early March.

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a good day today after overdoing it yesterday. I was able to get the woven cloth on the final side and a couple of corners that needed the woven cloth. I am really close to being complete with the fiberglass.:):):)
I do still have a little resin and glass to do and then sanding the entire inside that won't be fun but It will be great to start the epoxy paint. I will be painting by next weekend.
Update on Paint. They actually did give me the wrong paint so that has to be exchanged.
Glass from @glasscages should be here in a couple of weeks.
I think I will be doing a water test sometime in January.
That Sherwin is what they use to coat the inside of water towers.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update after some research and looking at tech data on the paint It appears my son in law got me the wrong epoxy. This one shows Not safe for potable water what I am getting will be Sherwin Williams Macropoxy 5500 which specifically is used for container of potable water.
great catch!!

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This build is amazing. Do you want to adopt us? We'll just have to live vicariously through you.... incredible skill, incredible patience.
I don't know about adopting but you are welcome to come by and I'll feed you. I am pretty good with the grill.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about adopting but you are welcome to come by and I'll feed you. I am pretty good with the grill.
Careful...I may take you up on that one day. My Dad lives in Alabama...down around Talladega in a little town called Oxford.
Truly, this project is the stuff of dreams!! Enjoy!!

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Careful...I may take you up on that one day. My Dad lives in Alabama...down around Talladega in a little town called Oxford.
Truly, this project is the stuff of dreams!! Enjoy!!
Come one @CMMorgan dream bigger lol jk been following along and CANT wait to see the outcome. Unfortunate that we have to wait for it to cure. Can’t you use some sort of dehumidifier like they use in curing meat or fruits

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back