Mehaffy's 1100+ gallon Plywood display in North Alabama

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wiring is boring but with so much stuff needs to be done. I have 9 WAV's 4 MH lights 4 T5 and this is just the wire coming out of the display. Thats 17 wires.
I have aquascaped all of the dry rock I have about 250lbs. So no more aquascape until the tank is full salinity is right and temp is right. I have another 300+ lbs. but its all old established live that is currently in my sump with my livestock.
Here is a pic of what aquascape is done. You can see the water s now up on the glass.
IMG_3817.JPG
I like what you have started it looks good so far. Its crazy theres already 250lbs of rock in there. Hope your RODI expansion unit comes in sooner rather than later but I know you still have plenty of other stuff to do.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like what you have started it looks good so far. Its crazy theres already 250lbs of rock in there. Hope your RODI expansion unit comes in sooner rather than later but I know you still have plenty of other stuff to do.
Thanks, Yes that rock sure looks small in this big tank. But I do want a lot of open space so I will have that. I did get email RODI expansion shipped today so if the weather does not slow it down I should have by Thursday. I've got so much I can be working on. I also painted the outside again today as during construction the paint was getting a little dirty so a fresh coat of white went on today.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Yes that rock sure looks small in this big tank. But I do want a lot of open space so I will have that. I did get email RODI expansion shipped today so if the weather does not slow it down I should have by Thursday. I've got so much I can be working on. I also painted the outside again today as during construction the paint was getting a little dirty so a fresh coat of white went on today.
Well maybe the weather will be too bad to go to work tomorrow and you can get more done! I just looked outside and it was snowing a little in Birmingham.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you plan to incorporate the live rock you already have? I had to deal with a similar situation... morter the dry rock and then add my liverock at a later date. Had to use putty to attached the live rock where necessary. You just become limited by what type of structure you can create since the rock structure is now submerged. Looking forward to seeing how you tackle that one. I really like the way you laid out the rock work so far!

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you plan to incorporate the live rock you already have? I had to deal with a similar situation... morter the dry rock and then add my liverock at a later date. Had to use putty to attached the live rock where necessary. You just become limited by what type of structure you can create since the rock structure is now submerged. Looking forward to seeing how you tackle that one. I really like the way you laid out the rock work so far!
First it will require Scuba gear. I will most likely use the epoxy putty to attach the live rock. I am not going to make it much taller if any as I want open space for coral and swimming fish

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to get a little more completed today. First the water level is up to over 7 1/2" which is about equal to the entire volume of my last tank. Between 200-250 gallons. The RODI upgrade is supposed to be delivered tomorrow so that will double my water output.
I worked more on electrical mostly mounting Apex gear, MH Ballasts and power blocks for my Kessil lights. I should have bought stock in Zip Ties with as many as I am using. Its difficult to make this neat and clean with sooo many wires but I can't stand a huge birds nest of wires so I have to keep them at least some what organized. Below are updated pictures.
IMG_3821.JPG

IMG_3824.JPG
IMG_3823.JPG

IMG_3822.JPG

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started really putting together a stock list Of what I have and what I want and this is what I have so far. With this much tank its just hard to decide but I plan on adding slowly over the next 6-12 months so no hurry on anything.

I have these
Powder Brown
Potters Angel
Green Mandarin
2 Ocellaris Clown
6 Rose BTA

I would like
Hermits and snails
6-10 Blue/Green chromis
Naso Tang
Desjadini Sailfin
lieutenant Tang
Fowleri Tang
3-5 Pajama Cardinals
Lyretail Anthias
Yellowhead jawfish Maybe 2?
Yellow tang?
Firefish 6-10
Lawnmover Blenny

Maybe list
Powder Blue
Achillies Tang

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started really putting together a stock list Of what I have and what I want and this is what I have so far. With this much tank its just hard to decide but I plan on adding slowly over the next 6-12 months so no hurry on anything.

I have these
Powder Brown
Potters Angel
Green Mandarin
2 Ocellaris Clown
6 Rose BTA

I would like
Hermits and snails
6-10 Blue/Green chromis
Naso Tang
Desjadini Sailfin
lieutenant Tang
Fowleri Tang
3-5 Pajama Cardinals
Lyretail Anthias
Yellowhead jawfish Maybe 2?
Yellow tang?
Firefish 6-10
Lawnmover Blenny

Maybe list
Powder Blue
Achillies Tang
You won't regret the lt tang, I'm a bit biased though lol. I think you can't go wrong with a foxface either. Great algae eaters and beautiful, chill fish.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something this large you'e got to go with Achilles right? Or unicorn or Tomini, one of those ones that you can actually put into this monster. What about stingrays?

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something this large you'e got to go with Achilles right? Or unicorn or Tomini, one of those ones that you can actually put into this monster. What about stingrays?
Tomini are not very big at all. Perhaps you are thinking of Fowleri?

scchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just speaking from experience with a similar sized tank go even bigger on the fish schools, you have the room, think 20-30 chromis, half a dozen or better jawfish, 3 or 4 schools of different anthias at 10 plus each, trust me even with the near 40 fish I have in mine it still looks fairly empty

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back