OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my first ever ICP test and everything looks pretty good they have a coupe minor recommendations but no serious problems. I thought this is what I would get but its nice having an accurate confirmation. For those with more experience let me know if you see anything alarming please.
ICP results

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my first ever ICP test and everything looks pretty good they have a coupe minor recommendations but no serious problems. I thought this is what I would get but its nice having an accurate confirmation. For those with more experience let me know if you see anything alarming please.
ICP results
The piece of mind of an ICP test helps. Looks good.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the weekend I installed one of my COR-20 pumps to supply the Skimmer and the refugium. After a really dumb mistake ( I installed the anti backflow valve backwards so no water to go through) I was able to get water moving and I got to say this skimmer really make some bubbles with the Reeflo Orca pump. I ended up buying a new pump from Reeflo. The one that came with the skimmer I bought used was too bad to be repaired so I just bought a new one. Its great just like my hammerhead doing the circulation work its nearly silent and really moves water.
I do have a lot of work to do organizing wires and cables.
IMG_4061.JPG
IMG_4062.JPG

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I know its been a while since my last update. This has been because I have been absolutely devastated. AT the end of May I was fortunate enough to get the opportunity to get my hands on a nice collection of really cool fish that had been in a tank for quite a while and were very fat and healthy. Then it all went wrong. A few days after I got home with the fish I had them living in a 100 gallon stock tank and they were all doing great. I had to make a 3 day work trip to Florida and figured all would be good. I had powerheads and air through a dc skimmer pump so a lot of air on the tank. The second day I was gone we had thunderstorms which killed our power but only for a short time. For some reason the pump supplying the air did not restart and by the time my wife realized there was a problem every single fish was gone. These were tangs 6+", anthias, filefish, clownfish, chromis, wrasse about ten fish total. They would have been great for the display but sorry to say I will never get to enjoy them in this tank.

Sltloser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm truly sorry to hear about your losses . I think it hits hardest when it's something we feel like we should have controlled for or something that shouldn't have happened (pump not restarting). I hope you can continue to push forward with the project knowing that you'll be able to give other fish a wonderful home in the future!

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been a few weeks since last update so thought I would let you guys know whats going on. The tank is holding great no issues at all with anything tank or plumbing. I do have a little new tank syndrome going on with Algae but I'm sure Ill get that under control as things balance out. I am having problems with a couple of my MH lights I think I need some new
lasts so that's the next thing to order from BRS. The ones i have are close to 15 years old so I'm sure I got my moneys worth from them and the new digital ballasts are better anyway. Right now I am still dosing 2part as I have not set up my calcium reactor. The need is so low right now dosing is simple with the Neptune DOS. I do have a few fish but not many in comparison to the size of the tank.
Hears the latest pics.
IMG_4139.JPG

Full Tank
IMG_4144.JPG

Fish gathering at meal time.
Yellow Tang
Naso Tang
Powder Brown Tang
Blue Hippo Tang
2 Clowns and a
Bicolor Goatfish
I also have a lawn mover Blenny but rarely see him.
IMG_4146.JPG

I have this really nice Sailfin but hes still in Quarantine

I really need to work on cleaning up my back wall and all of the wires so that will be te next big project.
IMG_4150.JPG

IMG_4151.JPG

This fall/winter I will be building walls/canopy around the tank to completely close it in and you will only see the 2 sides from the viewing area.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you have some anemones and a pile of mushrooms on a couple of rocks. The tank looks great! That goatfish is amazing looking! Wow! I feel like you're going to have to order a giant batch of snails and hermits from @reefcleaners! Maybe you can get a deal on 1100g worth of cleanup crew. Can't wait to see what other fish you add. I am very happy for you!

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you have some anemones and a pile of mushrooms on a couple of rocks. The tank looks great! That goatfish is amazing looking! Wow! I feel like you're going to have to order a giant batch of snails and hermits from @reefcleaners! Maybe you can get a deal on 1100g worth of cleanup crew. Can't wait to see what other fish you add. I am very happy for you!
Well after a lot of travel lately I finally have a full week at home. A very large order is going to reef cleaners tomorrow.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you
This was new to me also but I have been wanting to do this project for a couple of years and finally decided this Fall/Winter was the right time.
I see your in St. Louis. GO Blues.
I was born in St Louis and lived there (Manchester and then St. Clair) for over 40 years before moving to Alabama.
I can't believe I didn't see this thread before today.

I too am from STL. Lived there until I was 22 then moved to Alabama. Would love to come visit.

I have a thousand gallon koi pond and am doing an aquarium/man cave building.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phase 2 we decided we needed a new Koi pond as we have always had Koi. Yes I completely built this Koi pond myself. Concrete, Block work, Stone veneer plumbing and electric. The Koi pond is approx 5000 Gal.
IMG_1217.JPG
IMG_1219.JPG
IMG_1559.JPG
IMG_1566.JPG
IMG_1582.JPG

Along with the KOi pond we had to have a Pergola, What a Koi pond without one

IMG_1615.JPG

IMG_1618.JPG

IMG_3121.JPG
Your a beast man!

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mehaffydr how's this beautiful tank doing?
Daniel Thank You for the interest in the tank. Right now everything is going good. Fish are all doing good I have added the Sailfin Tang to the display and he is getting along well with the others. Now I need to look for my next additions.
I have been battling Algae which is the result of excess Phosphates so I have ordered and just received today Lanthium Chloride (Phosphate E) that I will be dosing in the skimmer. I have been traveling for work so much lately I have not had the chance to order the additional Clean Up Crew that I need. Hopefully next week I will be home so that I can order. I really want to add some coral but until I get the Phosphate under control and the Algae I don't want to spend money on them.
This fall/winter I plan on closing in the canopy and making a fish room behind the tank.

cwerner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Daniel Thank You for the interest in the tank. Right now everything is going good. Fish are all doing good I have added the Sailfin Tang to the display and he is getting along well with the others. Now I need to look for my next additions.
I have been battling Algae which is the result of excess Phosphates so I have ordered and just received today Lanthium Chloride (Phosphate E) that I will be dosing in the skimmer. I have been traveling for work so much lately I have not had the chance to order the additional Clean Up Crew that I need. Hopefully next week I will be home so that I can order. I really want to add some coral but until I get the Phosphate under control and the Algae I don't want to spend money on them.
This fall/winter I plan on closing in the canopy and making a fish room behind the tank.
Would some sort of algae reactor be feasible with a tank this size? I feel like they're a more space-concious approach to nutrient export than a full blow refugium. Maybe Carbon dosing as well, but I feel like that might get expensive too.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back