Mehaffy's 1100+ gallon Plywood display in North Alabama

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
38B4111C-D402-4C69-911A-299F46959CB2.jpeg

Multiple Goldline Rabbitfish will swim together— I grew these from the size of quarters. Just a suggestion. :)

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great Day today!! I have just returned from a week away and all fish and tanks doing great. I am officially at 35 days of Hypo. I will start to raise salinity this weekend. I am thinking it will take a week minimum and maybe closer to two. With 1100 gallons getting RODI and mixing salt will just take time but this step needs to go slow anyway. I still cannot put my few Coral and Gulf live rock back in because they still need another 30+ days of fallow.
I also have some fish in QT that I have at Hypo salinity level that will get added to display.
Clown Tang
Chocolate Tang
2 Cleaner Wrasse
Powder Brown Tang.

Both of my QT tanks will be empty so I have to decide what to purchase next. I am thinking a couple Foxface and 3 of those Goldlined Rabbit fish. Algae Barn has the Goldlined Rabbit fish from Biota.

Sltloser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great Day today!! I have just returned from a week away and all fish and tanks doing great. I am officially at 35 days of Hypo. I will start to raise salinity this weekend. I am thinking it will take a week minimum and maybe closer to two. With 1100 gallons getting RODI and mixing salt will just take time but this step needs to go slow anyway. I still cannot put my few Coral and Gulf live rock back in because they still need another 30+ days of fallow.
I also have some fish in QT that I have at Hypo salinity level that will get added to display.
Clown Tang
Chocolate Tang
2 Cleaner Wrasse
Powder Brown Tang.

Both of my QT tanks will be empty so I have to decide what to purchase next. I am thinking a couple Foxface and 3 of those Goldlined Rabbit fish. Algae Barn has the Goldlined Rabbit fish from Biota.
This is great news! Have you thought of maybe dripping a concentrated slat brine solution into the sump instead of doing all the water changes? Unless you're still having issues with PO4 might be nice to not have to do all the work for monster water changes .

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is great news! Have you thought of maybe dripping a concentrated slat brine solution into the sump instead of doing all the water changes? Unless you're still having issues with PO4 might be nice to not have to do all the work for monster water changes .
Yes I am planning on mixing salt water really heavy on salt but one thing I am not sure of is how brine can I go. Is there a limit? At what point will the water no longer dissolve salt?

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but one thing I am not sure of is how brine can I go. Is there a limit? At what point will the water no longer dissolve salt?

I don't know what the limit is, but I looked up the salinity of the Dead Sea. It is 342g of salt in each kilogram of water. 34.2% and a density of 1.240. So, being a natural body of water, I would think you could go to that level. Although, how long it takes to dissolve that much I have no idea.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
38B4111C-D402-4C69-911A-299F46959CB2.jpeg

Multiple Goldline Rabbitfish will swim together— I grew these from the size of quarters. Just a suggestion. :)
I have been looking into these Rabbitfish and Biota list them as Not Reef Compatible. Do you have these in a reef and if so whats you experience with them.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a FOWLR. The way they tear through a large strip of Nori, I would be worried about any temptingly-delicious item of Coral. Lol. ;)

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a FOWLR. The way they tear through a large strip of Nori, I would be worried about any temptingly-delicious item of Coral. Lol. ;)
Yea after reading some info on them I don't think they will be a good idea in my tank. I am planning mixed reef and I really don't want to feed expensive Coral and clams to the fish. Thanks for showing me those they are really cool looking.

CoralDanimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I am planning on mixing salt water really heavy on salt but one thing I am not sure of is how brine can I go. Is there a limit? At what point will the water no longer dissolve salt?
My recommendation would be to simply replace your ATO fresh water with salt water until the tank reaches your desired salinity level. This way every day when your tank evaporates and is replaced by saltwater (as opposed to fresh), the salinity will rise slowly. This way you don't have to worry about making saltwater with an unnaturally high salinity.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My recommendation would be to simply replace your ATO fresh water with salt water until the tank reaches your desired salinity level. This way every day when your tank evaporates and is replaced by saltwater (as opposed to fresh), the salinity will rise slowly. This way you don't have to worry about making saltwater with an unnaturally high salinity.
I vary well may kinda of do this. But with 1100 gallons and only 4-5 gallons evaporation per day it will take too long I will have to incorporate water changes. I do want to take it slow but not that slow

Sltloser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good question, I'm not really sure what the maximum amount is. It might be worth it to take a 5 gallon bucket with a heater and powerhead and just experiment to see what the maximum you can dissolve is. You could the use airline tubing to creat a slow drip into the sump that you can increase/decrease based on how quickly it is increasing salinity. That is also a small scale aquarium solution, do you know how much a 5 gallon bucket of salt increases your salinity? (If you hypothetically dumped one into the sump).

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just catching up on your build looks like you went hypo after I left coming up there. The tang looks much healthier now and you're right it does look like a desert in the tank after all the algae disappeared. We need to get you some corals in that tank once you get the salinity back up!

Are you going to quarantine all coral going into the tank after this or just quarantining the corals that were in there before?

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan to quarantine everything. I need to do more research on coral. Do I need to put in tank fallow for 76 days or is a coral dip adequate? I’m leaning toward 76 days fallow.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back