OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love to see a photo of your Orange Shoulder Tang if you ever get a chance; how big is he?
He is at least 6" now. I consider him my best save ever. He was so thin at one point you could see all of his bones. Now hes kind of a fat hog.
IMG_4737.JPG

BContos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just binged your whole thread!! Wow! I pat you on the back for sticking with the tank after that initial leak! Your determination is inspiring!

Do you have any pictures of your Tampa bay rock while in fallow? Thinking of ordering about 80 lbs for my upgrade next year but I can't find too much on them review wise. How was the curing process? My KP rock I ordered last year was a PAIN- 4.0+ ammonia readings for days even with moving the rocks from one tote to another twice a day. Killed everything cool on the rocks which was super disappointing. Did the green paly's come in as hitch hiker or did you add them?

Are you still liking the new lights as well?

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just binged your whole thread!! Wow! I pat you on the back for sticking with the tank after that initial leak! Your determination is inspiring!

Do you have any pictures of your Tampa bay rock while in fallow? Thinking of ordering about 80 lbs for my upgrade next year but I can't find too much on them review wise. How was the curing process? My KP rock I ordered last year was a PAIN- 4.0+ ammonia readings for days even with moving the rocks from one tote to another twice a day. Killed everything cool on the rocks which was super disappointing. Did the green paly's come in as hitch hiker or did you add them?

Are you still liking the new lights as well?
Thank you
The live rock really required no curing and I had almost zero die off.
I picked the shippig option of air freight and picked it up at the airport.Never had any detectable ammonia.
I had the Green Pals from the previous tank
I am still a fan of the new lights.
the below pics are the live rock the day after it arrived.
IMG_4599.JPG

IMG_4600.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am really stoked with the start of Vodka dosing. its been almost 2 weeks and I currently have the lowest although still high numbers yet.
Phosphate .12
Nitrate 21.4
I will continue to dose and just closely monitor these numbers so that I don't bottom out.
So far no issues at all. No algae blooms or anything visable at all.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just 2 weeks ago I started Vodka (carbon) dosing. First I should have done this a while back but its probably good I didn't just because I am way more in tune with the tank now.
I am officially cutting back the carbon dose so that I do not bottom out the nutrients.
As of testing tonight with the same Hanna testers I've used all along below are tonight's readings.
Phosphate .04
Nitrate 17.1

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yesterday I met a couple of very nice people here in Southern Alabama. Jon and Sandi. They are breaking down one of the nicest salt water tank setups I have ever seen. 300 gallon
They were looking to first move out the fish and a couple of leathers. When I contacted them and let them know I had a 1100 gallon tank we hit it off because they were concerned that the fish would go to a good size tank.
I went and picked up
3 Desjardini Sailfins
3 puprle Tang
2. Yellow Tang
2 Mocha Clows
1 Foxface
They are all nice size fish 5-6"

Sorry to say for some reason I cant explain the Foxface did not make it. I have no idea why other than just the stress.
All of the rest of the fish are doing great eating like pigs.

Thank You Jon and Sandi

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upated stock list
3 Desjardini Sailfins
3 Puprle Tang
2. Yellow Tang
2 Mocha Clowns
Naso Tang
Blue Hippo Tang
Sailfin Tang
Clown Tang
Powder Brown Tang
Chocolate Tang
Orange Shoulder Tang
Scopas Tang
One Spot Foxface
Bicolor Foxface
Leopard Wrasse
Melanurus Wrasse
2 Blue streak cleaner Wrasse
2 Engineer Goby
2 Clown
5 Bluegreen Chromis
2 Diamond Watchman Goby
spotted watchman Goby
3 Pajama Cardinal

So far no aggression with the newly added Tangs

Sltloser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is looking great! It's going to be awesome as you get to stock with corals and see them grow out.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is looking great! It's going to be awesome as you get to stock with corals and see them grow out.
I am starting tomorrow. I have a 10 piece Battlebox coming from Battle Corals. I will most likely put them in a frag tank for a couple weeks as I continue to work on nutrients.
I tested tonight and things seam to have leveled off a bit.
Phosphate .05
Nitrate 16.9

Sltloser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting tomorrow. I have a 10 piece Battlebox coming from Battle Corals. I will most likely put them in a frag tank for a couple weeks as I continue to work on nutrients.
I tested tonight and things seam to have leveled off a bit.
Phosphate .05
Nitrate 16.9
That's awesome! Yeah I'd QT and check everything for pests and such. Maybe give them a little time to acclimate before going I to the big tank?

That's not too bad, I'm happy nutrients are staying lower with the vodka dosing. Have you thought of adding and algae turf scrubber or increasing the size of the fuge to help combat nutrients long term?

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome! Yeah I'd QT and check everything for pests and such. Maybe give them a little time to acclimate before going I to the big tank?

That's not too bad, I'm happy nutrients are staying lower with the vodka dosing. Have you thought of adding and algae turf scrubber or increasing the size of the fuge to help combat nutrients long term?
I’ve looked at both turf scrubber and larger fuge. But I’m holding off until I know better what’s it’s going to take. I think a lot of my nutrient problems were a result of using old dirty rock to start the tank.
I am planning on just real close monitoring and if I can’t get off the Vodka I think I’ll have to go with the turf scrubber as I just don’t really have space to get a larger fuge

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today the Battlebox of corals arrived and its clear to me why thsi guy Adam has such a following and great reviews.
First the communication is top notch he reaches out to see if you have preferences. Then coordinates shipping.
Next the box arrives and I have never received a live animal package that was so well packaged.
Next he labels every bag and on every bag list lighting requirements flow requirements hardiness and years in captivity. WOW
Next Every single coral looks Great. Nothing is Brown great color and they are encrusted to the frag you can clearly tell these are not fresh cuts but frags that have had time to attache to the plug.
Oh almost forgot I ordered 10 corals and he send 11. Got a bonus coral :D :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

I would highly recommend for anyone wanting quality SPS

Last edited:
OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am finally getting there with the Nitrate and Phosphates.
For those who have been following you know i have been battling these for over a year now. My dumb I started with old dirty rock that I did not properly clean and I sure paid for it.
As of tonight
Phosphate .07
Nitrate 5.2

I've already started lowering the Vodka dosing and now I just need to get these level and steady and just a little lower but I am doing the happy dance tonight. I thought this day would never come.

P.kapp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am finally getting there with the Nitrate and Phosphates.
For those who have been following you know i have been battling these for over a year now. My dumb I started with old dirty rock that I did not properly clean and I sure paid for it.
As of tonight
Phosphate .07
Nitrate 5.2

I've already started lowering the Vodka dosing and now I just need to get these level and steady and just a little lower but I am doing the happy dance tonight. I thought this day would never come.
I have been watching your build for a while, and just watched the video with the new fish additions! Pretty awesome to see that many big tangs look small in your tank!

I am about to start adding rock to my new tank, and I’m curious what kind of cleaning process you did before adding your old rock? I want to make sure I get it right

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back