Mehaffy's 1100+ gallon Plywood display in North Alabama

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided to go ahead and start a build thread for a massive undertaking that originally started a couple years ago and is now really getting going with the exciting part. First let me say like others I am not a carpenter by trade but I think I have some really good building skills. Otherwise I would not be considering this.
I have been keeping fish for over 35 years started with freshwater and then went to saltwater and Reef about 13 years ago.
My wife and I moved from Missouri to Alabama in 2012 and at that time I moved my 225 gal Reef tank which was actually a success but a ton of work and planning. But my wife does not like my tanks in the house so the first thing I had to do at the new house was build a building for my tank. YES build a building. Below are the pictures of this project. Is is 20'x30' and I did every bit of the work myself framing, electric, plumbing, roof, everything. Except for the gutters because I did not have a roll former and wanted seamless gutters. From the beginning I called this a Pool House so that I could get my wife's full support. It includes a 1/2 bath, Tanning bed and Sauna along with outdoor shower.
IMG_0747.JPG

IMG_0761.JPG
IMG_0768.JPG

IMG_0777.JPG
IMG_1482.JPG

IMG_1015.JPG

IMG_1488.JPG

End of Phase 1

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phase 2 we decided we needed a new Koi pond as we have always had Koi. Yes I completely built this Koi pond myself. Concrete, Block work, Stone veneer plumbing and electric. The Koi pond is approx 5000 Gal.
IMG_1217.JPG
IMG_1219.JPG
IMG_1559.JPG
IMG_1566.JPG
IMG_1582.JPG

Along with the KOi pond we had to have a Pergola, What a Koi pond without one

IMG_1615.JPG

IMG_1618.JPG

IMG_3121.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So now the plans for the new tank. I am building Plywood 10' x 5' x 3' tall. I have decided to go with the 5 x 10 because I can buy 5 x 10 x 3/4" plywood at Menards which I have already ordered. Should be in store to pick up in a few weeks. Oh and before I forget a special thanks to @atomic081 and @AlexG for the inspiration to go ahead and do this.
I will have 1 view window on the front of 3/4" Low Iron Glass I will be ordering from @glasscages.com just have to finalize the size. Joe and Silas have been great to work with and Thank you to them for putting up with my constant changing of sizes.
This past weekend I cleared out most of the building but will have to relocate my 225 gal tank as it sits where this tank will go. I cleaned the floor with Muratic Acid and epoxy painted it.
IMG_3423.JPG

IMG_3427.JPG

IMG_3430.JPG

The bare concrete area there in the middle is where the new tank will go. I will be pouring floor leveler in that area so I decided not to paint it.
The stand will be built strong enough to hold a Mack Truck as this thing will weight almost as much as a truck. I am building with 2 x 6 construction studs @ 12" centers. I started the first part of the stand tonight and plan to have most of it completed over the weekend.
IMG_3439.JPG
IMG_3440.JPG

IMG_3441.JPG

First 2 sections completed. Treated lumber on the base and all screwed together.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its going to be Reef, I already have 5 Kessil A360X, 4ea. 250watt Metal halide and 14ea. 36" T5, Not sure this will be enough or the final lighting but I should have plenty of light to start with.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only 1100 gallons, lol!
I will be following.

If I could have found 6 x 12 plywood I would have gone BIGGER! but 5 x 10 was the biggest plywood I could find and I do not want any seams.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I could have found 6 x 12 plywood I would have gone BIGGER! but 5 x 10 was the biggest plywood I could find and I do not want any seams.
Cool. It will make my 120 look like a nano!
Cant wait to see this come together.
From your building talent I would expect this to be epic!

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. This is going to be epic. If you’re looking for people to tell you you’re outa your mind you’ve come to the wrong spot lol. Gitter done and please post pics for us reef addicts
"If you’re looking for people to tell you you’re outa your mind" My wife already covered that part, here I am looking for words of wisdom from those who have already been down this path and learn from their experience.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so excited for this project. I am thinking of a large plywood tank myself. 10x4x3.

if you have not join the moster fish keepers site mosly FW builds but tons of info on there I the DIY section on plywood tanks.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so excited for this project. I am thinking of a large plywood tank myself. 10x4x3.

if you have not join the moster fish keepers site mosly FW builds but tons of info on there I the DIY section on plywood tanks.

I think I have read just about every single thread on MFK of plywood tanks. I have actually read everything on every one i have been able to find in preparation for this project. I have been contemplating this build for a couple of years and now I'm doing it. Hopefully this has water in it by the end of the year.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW WOW WOWWWWW This is going to be amazing!!! Gorgeous koi pond too!

Thank You, We love the Koi pond Its a great place to relax and watch the grandkids feed the fish. My Grandaughter actually swims with the koi at least a couple times every year.

JMM744

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you already have lights but you might check out the lights they put on the big display tank at Tidal Gardens. You certainly don’t lack for things to do keeping all that stuff maintained and building your tank.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 54.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.5%
Back