Mehaffy's 1100+ gallon Plywood display in North Alabama

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When this guy is done are you going to charge admission for me to drive up and see it? Can’t wait to see your progress!

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mehaffydr If you have any questions that come up during your build or of you want to pick my brain about my plywood tanks feel free to send me a PM. This should be a great looking display when it is done.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mehaffydr If you have any questions that come up during your build or of you want to pick my brain about my plywood tanks feel free to send me a PM. This should be a great looking display when it is done.

@AlexG such a nice guy always taking the time to give is plywood noobs the gold. can I humbly ask that you guys share the conversation here so we have it archived for all of internity. I bet some good stuff will be talked about and lots of ppl could benefit from the share knowledge. :D

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks Alex I'm sure things will come up. I just returned from Lowes with lumber to complete the stand. It will be a few weeks before the plywood from Menards comes in so I will be using the next few weeks to move my existing system and leveling the floor.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have made some decent progress today on the base. I finished the other lower sections and completed the top section. All of the sections are not yet fastened together as I am going to paint first so I don't have bare spots in between the sections. I remember from @AlexG thread how much Alex loves painting so if your not too busy with the new house feel free to come on down and paint. The next steps are Paint and lots of it. Moving my current tank out of the way and floor leveling. I have e few weeks before the plywood comes in so my plan is to have all of the above work done ready for the plywood.
IMG_3445.JPG
IMG_3446.JPG

Oh and just for fun I took a couple of updated pictures of pond and Koi.

IMG_3442.JPG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry @mehaffydr I won't be able to help with your painting project because my wife said I need to stay home. I am thinking for my next project that I might invest in a paint sprayer. That stand looks really good. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started the fun of painting the stand today. I have already gone through 1/2 gallon and still a lot to go.
IMG_3448.JPG

i enjoy painting. its satisfying to see the results. that said after 6 -5 gal buckets of paint and primer on the reno, I said time to hire someone to finish.

hope you got more done today. :D

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been making some progress on painting. The stand is close to being completed in paint. I've already gone through well over a gallon.
IMG_3449.JPG

IMG_3450.JPG

Also a good day, look what I just received. This is a Brand new never use Geo Calcium reactor and Reef Fanatics regulator. Bought this from a fellow forum member.
IMG_3451.JPG

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing all those fantastic pictures of the tank build so far, (and the other builds!), there’s been some back breaking work there for sure! Lol

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
painting is coming along very nice! great score on the CaRx

when you get to the plywood part can you be as details as possible pretty please :D I have a good idea on how to build these but want to see what you do.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing all those fantastic pictures of the tank build so far, (and the other builds!), there’s been some back breaking work there for sure! Lol
Thank You, It has been a lot of work but I love building stuff. My day job is in Sales so on the weekends I like to work with my hands.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back