mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
painting is coming along very nice! great score on the CaRx

when you get to the plywood part can you be as details as possible pretty please :D I have a good idea on how to build these but want to see what you do.
I will post a lot of pictures and give as much detail as I can. There will be a lot of glue and Stainless Steel screws. The plywood is not going to be in until Oct. 30 so I may go crazy while I'm waiting on it.
The painting on the stand is almost complete so soon I will be moving my current tank doing the floor leveler and getting the stand assembled. I will be traveling for work 2 of the next 3 weeks so a lot to do before the plywood comes in.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The painting of the stand is complete:) That was a chore but I'm really happy with the finish. I got at least 2 coats on all surfaces of a premium Sherwin Williams Exterior paint. ( my son in law works for Sherwin Williams). I am off to the airport this afternoon and have to be in Dallas for the week. I hope I can move my existing tank next weekend. That will be a huge undertaking. I'm only moving it 5 feet but with Sump, Refugium, Chiller and Closed loop system there is a lot of plumbing to work with and of course the livestock.
IMG_3462.JPG
IMG_3463.JPG

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stand looks great! Do people generally have trouble with interior paint on stands or is it more a preemptive measure?
Thank You, I'm not sure if anyone has trouble with interior paint but the cost for exterior was very close to the same and I just thought that paint the was designed to withstand the elements would be a better choice.

NautiTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always exciting to see a new large tank build. Your back yard is amazing as well!

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always exciting to see a new large tank build. Your back yard is amazing as well!
Thank you
I really enjoy creating things like ponds and now tanks.
I will be moving my current tank 225 gal next weekend because I am heading to Indianapolis this next week for work. Then the real fun begins. The plywood I have ordered is supposed to be in 10/30 because I had to order it. I am buying 5' x 10' x 3/4 " sheets from Menards so I will have No seams except for the corners.

NautiTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Travel safe. We will be waiting for your return... patiently... ish

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well its time for an update. Typing on the computer is about all I can do right now because after the weekend of working on the tank I just had, I feel like I got run over by a steam roller. I started off the weekend buying a 150 gal Rubermaid stock tank that will eventually be my sump.
IMG_3479.JPG

I also set up a 40 breeder tank I have. All of this so that I can start the process of moving my existing tank that sits where the new tank will go. All of my inhabitants will be living in the rubermaid and the 40 breeder for the next couple of months.
I moved all of my rock and started filling the stock tank. Set up a sump with skimmer and set up all of my Apex equipment so that I could closely monitor everything.
IMG_3481.JPG

IMG_3485.JPG

I put all of my RBTA and clowns in the 40 breeder.
IMG_3484.JPG

IMG_3492.JPG

I then started on the floor leveling. First i screwed down 1x2's using Tapcon screws so that they would be easy to remove later and applied concrete banding adhesive to the existing floor.
IMG_3488.JPG

I then mixed and poured 3 buckets 150lbs. of floor leveler to the area. I will let this set up for a couple of days and then start assembling the stand on this area. The 5 x 10 plywood is scheduled to arrive 10/30 so the next couple of weeks this thing will really start coming together.
IMG_3489.JPG

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well its time for an update. Typing on the computer is about all I can do right now because after the weekend of working on the tank I just had, I feel like I got run over by a steam roller. I started off the weekend buying a 150 gal Rubermaid stock tank that will eventually be my sump.
IMG_3479.JPG

I also set up a 40 breeder tank I have. All of this so that I can start the process of moving my existing tank that sits where the new tank will go. All of my inhabitants will be living in the rubermaid and the 40 breeder for the next couple of months.
I moved all of my rock and started filling the stock tank. Set up a sump with skimmer and set up all of my Apex equipment so that I could closely monitor everything.
IMG_3481.JPG

IMG_3485.JPG

I put all of my RBTA and clowns in the 40 breeder.
IMG_3484.JPG

IMG_3492.JPG

I then started on the floor leveling. First i screwed down 1x2's using Tapcon screws so that they would be easy to remove later and applied concrete banding adhesive to the existing floor.
IMG_3488.JPG

I then mixed and poured 3 buckets 150lbs. of floor leveler to the area. I will let this set up for a couple of days and then start assembling the stand on this area. The 5 x 10 plywood is scheduled to arrive 10/30 so the next couple of weeks this thing will really start coming together.
IMG_3489.JPG
Congrats on the productive weekend. Do you mind sharing which floor leveler you chose? Starting a basement project soon.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The floor leveler seems to be cured so I am clearing some things out as the room is getting crowded. I set the pieces of the stand up but they are not attached to each other and will be assembling them this week. I think that I will put a layer of 3/4" plywood down on the stand in preparation for the start of the actual tank build which could start as early as this weekend. The plywood I ordered is supposed to come in Friday. This thing is going to be a monster. I have to start some planning some details on water flow and equipment. I am looking at some different options for overflow to get water out of tank and into sump but just not sure how I'm going to accomplish this so any suggestions appreciated. also trying to decide on water movement. i have 4 Apex Wav's right now and a couple of Reeflo pumps ( A hammerhead and a Tiger shark) both are like new, so I'm thinking maybe a combination of closed loop and WAV's.
IMG_3494.JPG

NautiTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lookin good man, are you planning on putting in some supports from front to back or just the one in the middle from side to side? Can't wait to see what you come up with as far as the whole system goes.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lookin good man, are you planning on putting in some supports from front to back or just the one in the middle from side to side? Can't wait to see what you come up with as far as the whole system goes.
Just the one down the middle. There is only about 20" between the supports. This base will support the framed structure that will lay flat on top that the plywood will lay flat on. This top bracing is 2 x 6's spaced only 12" on center. See in picture below. this will easily support 10000+ lbs.
IMG_3463.JPG

NautiTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't see the top bracing with the 2x6s in the last round of pics that makes a lot more sense. I wasnt worried about the weight. I was more worried about the slight bowing in the bottom of your tank which may stress the corner seams, not with the top bracing though. This tank is gonna be gigantic!

Back