OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This build is about to get kicked into High gear. I just got the confirmation that the plywood I ordered has arrived. Ill have about a 7 hour round trip to Paducha KY but I am going to pick it up tomorrow. I should be able to get started on the actual construction of the tank this weekend. :)

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before coming to R2R I had no idea people built plywood tanks. This is a cool project. Good Luck on the rest of the build.
Thank you
This was new to me also but I have been wanting to do this project for a couple of years and finally decided this Fall/Winter was the right time.
I see your in St. Louis. GO Blues.
I was born in St Louis and lived there (Manchester and then St. Clair) for over 40 years before moving to Alabama.

StlSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you
This was new to me also but I have been wanting to do this project for a couple of years and finally decided this Fall/Winter was the right time.
I was born in St Louis and lived there (Manchester and then St. Clair) for over 40 years before moving to Alabama.

Go Blues!!!

I've lived here most of my life, grew up in Webster Groves. My wife grew up in Southern Mississippi so one day we hope to be some Yankee transplants too.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go Blues!!!

I've lived here most of my life, grew up in Webster Groves. My wife grew up in Southern Mississippi so one day we hope to be some Yankee transplants too.
I bought my first live rock corals and fish from a pet store in Webster Groves it was located in a strip mall I think it was Tropical World maybe. I really liked the owner he just seemed to be a good honest guy.

StlSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought my first live rock corals and fish from a pet store in Webster Groves it was located in a strip mall I think it was Tropical World maybe. I really liked the owner he just seemed to be a good honest guy.

Yup, General Grant was the name of the strip mall. I bought most of my freshwater fish from them. Great guys.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you

My wife is from St Louis and I was raised in north Bama. We live in the Nashville area now. She's all Blues and I'm all Preds lol.

NautiTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope you fared well with your travels today. And the plywood arrived safely.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope you fared well with your travels today. And the plywood arrived safely.
Just arrived home with the plywood. Trip took a couple of extra hours because of a nasty multi car pile up on Interstate 24.
Now the real fun begins.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plywood is unloaded base is assembled and now starting to really build this thing. Just a couple pics showing just how big this is going to be. I had my teenage granddaughter who is 5' and my son in law who is about 6'.
IMG_3498.JPG
IMG_3499.JPG

NautiTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the traffic, that's gonna be on massive tank. So exciting!

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome, definitely following!!! :)

anit77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you
Go Blues!!!

Umm... Yeah... You had me on this build until that Blues crap. ;Facepalm

Almost all kidding aside, been following along from the beginning. This is an impressive build, interested to see how the plywood comes together. Don't know if I'd have the stones to build one. But your Blues have had more stones than my Hawks have lately, so you have that going for you. ;)

I really love the Koi pond too. Great job on that build!

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Umm... Yeah... You had me on this build until that Blues crap. ;Facepalm

Almost all kidding aside, been following along from the beginning. This is an impressive build, interested to see how the plywood comes together. Don't know if I'd have the stones to build one. But your Blues have had more stones than my Hawks have lately, so you have that going for you. ;)

I really love the Koi pond too. Great job on that build!

I waited almost 50 years for the Blues to win the Cup it was almost like being a Cubs fan;)

Tank update. I spent the free hours I had this weekend cutting the plywood to size which was quite the project considering I'm using 5'x10'x3/4" plywood this stuff is heavy. I've got all pieces cut but still need to cut openings for glass which I will try and get done tonight. Then as the week goes on I will start the assembly process

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the Plywood from Menards. It is AC exterior grade not treated. That is the only place in the country I could find this plywood. Finding this plywood is what made me go with the 5 x 10 tank I didn't want seams and would have gone 4 x 8 but stumbled across this and there was no turning back.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back