OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When do you think you'll do a water test if all goes well?
Right now my goal is to have water in the tank in 2020. But there is still a lot to do and I do a decent amount of travel for work. I'm heading to St. Louis tomorrow and wont be home until Friday. I will get a lot of the fiberglass work completed this up coming weekend but then we are heading out of town for thanksgiving week.
So maybe have fiberglass work done by beginning of DEC. let that cure real good then sand it down and start the finish coat. I think that will take about a week but right now it also depends on weather as this stuff is really smelly and I need ventilation but that is a problem if it gets cold.
So what I'm really saying is I'd like to have water by the end of the year but I really have no idea.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got home after spending the week in St Louis for business. Hopefully I can get most of the fiberglass work finished this weekend. Anyone who really loves fiberglass work that will be in North Alabama this weekend is welcome to stop by.

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got home after spending the week in St Louis for business. Hopefully I can get most of the fiberglass work finished this weekend. Anyone who really loves fiberglass work that will be in North Alabama this weekend is welcome to stop by.

Sorry! Just a little out of your area! :D Enjoying your build thread! Keep up the good work!

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did more fiberglass work today. This is so far the most time consuming and just plain nastiest part of the build. I will be extremely happy when the fiberglass work is complete. Right now all seams have 2 or 3 layers and all flat surfaces have 1-2 layers. I have used about 3 1/2 gallons out of the 5 gallons of polyester resin I bought. I may have to order some additional resin. I still have a lot of fiberglass cloth left so will not need any more of that.
IMG_3529.JPG

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did more fiberglass work today. This is so far the most time consuming and just plain nastiest part of the build. I will be extremely happy when the fiberglass work is complete. Right now all seams have 2 or 3 layers and all flat surfaces have 1-2 layers. I have used about 3 1/2 gallons out of the 5 gallons of polyester resin I bought. I may have to order some additional resin. I still have a lot of fiberglass cloth left so will not need any more of that.
IMG_3529.JPG

Coming along nicely!

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a great thing this forum is Earlier to day a fellow forum member

colossal_tater​

saw my post in the wanted section looking for rock. He had just purchased some from a guys who had recently broke down a large reef tank and he IM'd me the link to the guys craigslist add. I know have made arrangements to pick up about 400 lbs of rock.

Thank You tater!!

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made good progress today with more fun fiberglass work. I now have 2 layers on the back and sides. 1 layer on the bottom and 4 layers on all of the horizontal and vertical seams. I have used over 4 gallons of polyester resin so last night I ordered another 5 gallons. I plan on at least 1 more layer on the bottom and 1 more layer on the back and sides. I'm adding an updated picture you can see the extra layers on the seams as they are darker but really the picture doesn't look much different than the last few I posted as fiberglass is kind of boring.
IMG_3530.JPG
IMG_3531.JPG
IMG_3532.JPG

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well not really making any progress this week. The weather is great here in Alabama and with all this Covid nonsense we have not been able to get out much so my wife and I decided to go camping at lake Wheeler for Thanksgiving. Along with a little time on the lake in my kayak fishing.

Attachments

• A43CF924-3D1F-4CFB-ABD4-6B3A4441F58A.jpeg
    A43CF924-3D1F-4CFB-ABD4-6B3A4441F58A.jpeg
    464.5 KB · Views: 118
  • E80F3B8A-1E79-4CE0-A764-A74EEC3D42EB.jpeg
    E80F3B8A-1E79-4CE0-A764-A74EEC3D42EB.jpeg
    410.1 KB · Views: 133

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back