OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume you have also viewed Alex G's build? He's using some huge containers for the sole purpose of increasing water volume and providing emergency water. They will be tied in to the system. Seems like a great idea for bigger systems like this. Maybe something to consider?
Yes I have follow Alex's build for a long time that was quite the project and now he is even going bigger with the new house. I have a 150 gal stock tank I'm using for the sump so with that and a refugium tank I will have about 1200 gallons in the system. I will most likely add a frag tank but that's totally not planned yet and I have no idea what size it might be.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been fun watching this build. Have you even thought about a date you'd like to fill it with water or still too early to venture a guess?

Oh and LGB!!!! Opening night!! :)
Thank You its been fum doing this build. Great opening night for the Blues!

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THE GLASS IS IN!!!!!!! This is actually becoming a reality. Today was the best day of this build so far. I had good help. I got 3 guys to help all about 20 years younger than me and arms that were 50% bigger than mine. I will start a little plumbing but I am headed to Phoenix Monday morning so the silicone will have some time to set up. I also installed some more of the top braces just to be sure tank was squared up and stabilized. I'm thinking water Feb 13-14. Now this will only be a tap water test salt water by FEB 20th. I still have to utilize my 200 lbs of Marco rock and Marco cement to build structures so the next 4 weeks I will continue to be busy with the rock work and plumbing there still a lot to do.
IMG_3699.JPG

IMG_3701.JPG

IMG_3700.JPG

I used 9 tubes of silicone. Thank you to all that suggested the powered caulk gun it really made this easy. Everything when really smooth today with the glass install. I could have gotten away with much less silicone but I wanted to be sure that there was plenty and after it cures I can easily take a razor and clean it up. I am really happy with the looks of the silicone so far.

J_anderson_75

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THE GLASS IS IN!!!!!!! This is actually becoming a reality. Today was the best day of this build so far. I had good help. I got 3 guys to help all about 20 years younger than me and arms that were 50% bigger than mine. I will start a little plumbing but I am headed to Phoenix Monday morning so the silicone will have some time to set up. I also installed some more of the top braces just to be sure tank was squared up and stabilized. I'm thinking water Feb 13-14. Now this will only be a tap water test salt water by FEB 20th. I still have to utilize my 200 lbs of Marco rock and Marco cement to build structures so the next 4 weeks I will continue to be busy with the rock work and plumbing there still a lot to do.
IMG_3699.JPG

IMG_3701.JPG

IMG_3700.JPG

I used 9 tubes of silicone. Thank you to all that suggested the powered caulk gun it really made this easy. Everything when really smooth today with the glass install. I could have gotten away with much less silicone but I wanted to be sure that there was plenty and after it cures I can easily take a razor and clean it up. I am really happy with the looks of the silicone so far.

Nice! Can't wait for the water!! This would be a dream build for me, for sure!

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just crawled in the tank with a flashlight and I cannot find a single air bubble in the silicone. Looks like I've got a nice 1 1/2" wide x approx 1/8" thick nice bead all the way around. I have good confidence in the upcoming water test.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank makes me so happy. I'm thinking I am going to have to make the drive from Birmingham to check this thing out once its up and running. I know you're happy the glass is in and you can see the finish line finally. The plumbing won't be fun but aquascaping the tank should give you plenty of excitement over the next couple of weeks. You're gonna need someone to hand you rocks while you are inside that giant! Continue the hard work safe trip for work and I look forward to hearing more about your continued success.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank makes me so happy. I'm thinking I am going to have to make the drive from Birmingham to check this thing out once its up and running. I know you're happy the glass is in and you can see the finish line finally. The plumbing won't be fun but aquascaping the tank should give you plenty of excitement over the next couple of weeks. You're gonna need someone to hand you rocks while you are inside that giant! Continue the hard work safe trip for work and I look forward to hearing more about your continued success.
Of course you will be welcome to come up. I am planning on have the North Alabama Reef club over for a BBQ this spring once the weather is decent. Oh and Thank You

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course you will be welcome to come up. I am planning on have the North Alabama Reef club over for a BBQ this spring once the weather is decent. Oh and Thank You
Well thanks for the offer! I will definitely take you up on it. I've seen the space and rocket center its Time for @mehaffydr Aquatic's Center! How is everything doing in your temporary Tanks? Also now you have so much space have you given thoughts to what new fish you might want to add with your extended space?

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well thanks for the offer! I will definitely take you up on it. I've seen the space and rocket center its Time for @mehaffydr Aquatic's Center! How is everything doing in your temporary Tanks? Also now you have so much space have you given thoughts to what new fish you might want to add with your extended space?
Everything in temp tanks is doing OK but Not great. Nothing bad but the anemones seem stressed, I have some cyno but overall they are all eating and living. I have had some issues keeping parameters as stable as they were before. Top off is a little difficult and had some temp swings but I bought an additional heater and cured that problem.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 32 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back