Mehaffy's 1100+ gallon Plywood display in North Alabama

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not do a lot tonight but figure as long as I get something done I'm closer to water.
I painted the floor where the sump will sit this was critical because I can't place the sump in position and finish drain lines without the floor being painted and I need the sump in place to determine exact location of the return pump so I can start the plumbing for the return lines.
First pic is the floor yesterday and second is tonight after painting. I am using the Rustoleum Garage floor Epoxy Paint for the floor. I had already painted most of the floor before I started this project but the old tank was originally in this area so I could not paint it at that time. I love this paint I have painted a couple of garage floors with it. It looks really professional and is very simple to apply.
IMG_3726.JPG

IMG_3732.JPG
You are much better at throwing that epoxy flake than me, mine looks so uneven and too heavy. They make a crack filler epoxy too, works great. You could probably still do it since it’s grey, wouldn’t match perfect but close enough.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think filling with Kreg hole plugs and Titebond3 would have worked too. Sand flush and use same paint as the rest.
In retrospect I probably should have but the pieces were all already painted and I did not want to repaint them so I went with the silicone. Now that the silicone is in there I'm sure not going to try and remove it.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are much better at throwing that epoxy flake than me, mine looks so uneven and too heavy. They make a crack filler epoxy too, works great. You could probably still do it since it’s grey, wouldn’t match perfect but close enough.
Is that crack filler an epoxy or in a caulk tube. I did see crack filler in the concrete area at Lowes and thought about that.

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that crack filler an epoxy or in a caulk tube. I did see crack filler in the concrete area at Lowes and thought about that.
It’s a two-part mix, not a tube. Look for this...

Rust-Oleum EpoxyShield 24 oz. Concrete Patch and Repair Kit
5EEE3370-ED37-4932-B8E2-8B5CC7DEB69F.jpeg

Might have to get creative to get it in the hole without spreading too much over the already-finished part.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a two-part mix, not a tube. Look for this...

Rust-Oleum EpoxyShield 24 oz. Concrete Patch and Repair Kit
5EEE3370-ED37-4932-B8E2-8B5CC7DEB69F.jpeg

Might have to get creative to get it in the hole without spreading too much over the already-finished part.
Thats perfect. I should be able to paint over it after it dries and blend it in. I still have some floor painting to do so I will be mixing more of the floor paint in the next couple weeks. Thanks for the info This will really improve the looks of the floor.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a question I need help on deciding the best way to go. Help from those who have built plywood would be great @AlexG , @atomic081 Also anyone else who has Ideas please chime in.

I have the floor of the tank painted with 6 coats of epoxy paint but I am a little concerned about the rock scraping the paint.

1. Is there any reason for concern.
2. What did you guys do? Something under the rock?
3. How would you do it now.

I am thinking of different options like. Laying down a layer of pond liner. Maybe the light diffuser grates you can get at Lowe's. maybe a large piece of thin acrylic. Maybe just set down gently and don't move them around. I will have a sand bed I am thinking about 2" deep.

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a question I need help on deciding the best way to go. Help from those who have built plywood would be great @AlexG , @atomic081 Also anyone else who has Ideas please chime in.

I have the floor of the tank painted with 6 coats of epoxy paint but I am a little concerned about the rock scraping the paint.

I am thinking of different options like. Laying down a layer of pond liner. Maybe the light diffuser grates you can get at Lowe's. maybe a large piece of thin acrylic. Maybe just set down gently and don't move them around. I will have a sand bed I am thinking about 2" deep.

I remember reading someone's build thread where they used something. I think the name was starboard.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have taken a couple of different routes on this in the past and this time around I am planning to try something new. If you have not done it already I would also suggest applying some epoxy paint to a test piece and then intentionally try to damage it with scraping rocks or impacts to see how it holds up. That way if something unexpected happens you have an idea of whether or not it might compromise the waterproofing.

On my plywood reef I was keeping a sand bed so the aquascape was gently set down on the pond armor without any barriers. However the aquascape was low in this tank so I was not concerned with falling rocks. The downside was that the aquascape could not be shifted by sliding it without some minimal risks to the pond armor. In my big fish tank I was very concerned about the bottom being damaged as it was bare bottom. The aquascape was also tall so a falling rock would impact with more force. I decided to put a sheet of 1/2" PVC on the bottom of the tank to protect it. The PVC worked great but it was buoyant so it needed to be secured to the bottom using some glass trim and RTV. I never had issues with either tank bottom. Other alternatives are fiberglass, acrylic, starboard, and tile. This time around I am going to use unfilled travertine tiles on the bottom of my tanks even if they will have a sand bed to give it a more natural look.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a sort of native North Bama guy who lives in Nashville now I'm curious about where you plan on getting live stock from. The LFS in this area don't seem to have the best reps, especially up here.
I went to some in St Louis during a visit last year and seriously thought about picking up some things and bringing them back lol.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in Oneonta Alabama. Only 75 miles. I honestly would love to help but I am busy Saturday. Maybe in the future I can lend a hand. I would love to see this setup in person.

I'm all for trading labor to see a tank like this in person lol. And gain some knowledge for my future dream build.
Although my parents may get mad if I drive to North bama to help an internet stranger and not come see them haha

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course you will be welcome to come up. I am planning on have the North Alabama Reef club over for a BBQ this spring once the weather is decent. Oh and Thank You

How active is the reef club? A good friend of mine in Hazel Green has my old 75G reef ready tank and is gonna set it up for his autistic son. I'm sure he'd love to talk to local reefers and get advice and all that.
He had a salt water tank about 15 years ago so lots has changed.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would absolutely put down a protective layer. Starboard (HDPE) is a popular choice, but PVC, acrylic or polycarbonate would work too. If you use foam PVC board, it will float until weighted down; regular PVC sheet will not.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a sort of native North Bama guy who lives in Nashville now I'm curious about where you plan on getting live stock from. The LFS in this area don't seem to have the best reps, especially up here.
I went to some in St Louis during a visit last year and seriously thought about picking up some things and bringing them back lol.
I have not decided for sure but have thought of a few of options and I may very well use them all before I'm done just because of selection and availability of what I want.

I like Divers Den on line store
I have had good luck with fish from @NYaquatics so may get some from them.
I actually grew up in St. Louis and lived there 40+ years so I have actually thought of a road trip, I still have friends and family there so I go at least once ever couple months.
Also may visit some stores around Atlanta.
I do also like the idea of supporting local so I have been planning on but haven't yet, going to Aquatic cove here in Huntsville and giving them a wish list and just see what they can do.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How active is the reef club? A good friend of mine in Hazel Green has my old 75G reef ready tank and is gonna set it up for his autistic son. I'm sure he'd love to talk to local reefers and get advice and all that.
He had a salt water tank about 15 years ago so lots has changed.
Not real active but they do have get togethers at each others house to talk fish and exchange frags sometimes. I plan on inviting the entire group over to my house this summer when this thing is up and running for a BBQ.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not decided for sure but have thought of a few of options and I may very well use them all before I'm done just because of selection and availability of what I want.

I like Divers Den on line store
I have had good luck with fish from @NYaquatics so may get some from them.
I actually grew up in St. Louis and lived there 40+ years so I have actually thought of a road trip, I still have friends and family there so I go at least once ever couple months.
Also may visit some stores around Atlanta.
I do also like the idea of supporting local so I have been planning on but haven't yet, going to Aquatic cove here in Huntsville and giving them a wish list and just see what they can do.

We went to a few stores in St Louis during a visit before covid and when me and the wife told them where we lived (Nashville) almost every store we stopped at replied with "yea we've heard the LFS scene there is lacking". Their prices were so much better than what I'm used to seeing here.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomorrow will be a busy day. I am going to move the Rubbermaid stock tank that currently has my fish and 3-4 hundred pounds of rock from the old system. I will put as much water as possible in the 2 Rubbermaid trash cans I have and I have some other storage areas for the water then I will remove the rock because I have to lift the stock tank up and over the sink I have because there is not enough space to slide it over on the floor. I will need to move the rock as quickly as possible so that I don't get die off.
This is the stock tank as it sts tonight with everything in it.
IMG_3735.JPG

And this is where it is going to go. I am putting it in this corner and then I will continue to finish the drains from the display and start plumbing the lines to and from the skimmer.
IMG_3732.JPG

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next week I will be gone for a few days I have to take my wife out for a mini vacation. Its our anniversary she has put up with me and my many fish tanks for 32 years now. We will return a week from Sunday so the week of the 8th through 12th will be water test week. If all goes well which I have no reason to think it won't I will start the aquascape and then RODI water and I will just mix salt in the tank.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I had not really planned on anything tonight anticipating a big day tomorrow but just couldn't stand sitting around so I decided to add another coat of epoxy paint to the bottom of the tank. Of course with the glass in I can only do about 80% so over the weekend I will have to do that small area I couldn't do tonight.
IMG_3737.JPG

I also installed the last two pieces of the top bracing so all of that is now completed.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have good taste in floor color! Put the same thing on the basement floor of my uncle's lake house. That stuff is great.

20191205_132907.jpg

Everything is looking great goodluck with the Rubbermaid moves! Also the epoxy shield crack filler works well. I will recommend it.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a very busy day today. I definitely was able to get a lot of things completed and am a little closer to getting this tank wet.
I started the day with the plan of moving the sump which is currently my temporary housing for my live rock, fish and inverts.
So I started by filling every empty container I had with the water from the Stock Tank. I filled 2 Rubbermaid trash cans that I use for RODI and mixing new salt water. I used some 5 gallon buckets and some gallon jugs I had.

IMG_3739.JPG

IMG_3741.JPG

I added a heater to this 5 gallon bucket for Hermits and snails.

I then moved any rock that have corals on them into my temporary 40 gallon breeder that houses clowns and anemones.
I then moved all of the remaining rock out on the floor about 300 lbs.
I then moved the stock tank were it will stay and become the sump for this 1100 gallon monster.
IMG_3743.JPG

I cut some pieces of treated 2x4's to go under the stock tank just in case of any spills I want the water to get air circulation to dry up. I then moved all 300 lbs. of rock back into the stock tank and put all of the water I removed back in.
I then started the process of moving all of the Neptune equipment over and a sump I am using temporarily to filter the stock tank.
IMG_3744.JPG

Oh also look how far the Green Start Polyps have grown up the sides of the stock tank in the few months I have been working on this project. They are shaped like fans.
IMG_3747.JPG

I also moved my Kessil lights over here.
After this part was complete and I had the fish moved back in I decided to work on finishing up the drain lines from the display. I still have a few pieces of PVC to attach but drains are almost completely finished.
IMG_3749.JPG

Tomorrow I start working on the return plumbing. I did put in the bulkhead and a valve for the return but so far that is all. I needed to get this done while the stock tank was empty.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back