mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice to see the glass back in the tank.
Thanks Alex I appreciate the support. Everything went smooth with the install. 7 Tubes of silicone just to be sure there would be no air pockets or weak points.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I started off by cleaning silicone off of the glass and cleaning out the inside of the tank. It got pretty dirty with all the sanding I've done over the last few weeks. I then cut down and laminated 3 pieces of 3/4" plywood to make a brace for the glass on the short side. I don't really think its needed but I'd rather do this while the silicone is curing and never get a leak than get a leak over there and have to drain again. I am going to reinforce the inside the same as the front but I will not be doing the shelf on the short side. Tomorrow I will cut to length and then install with Fiberglass and Lag bolts the same as the front.
IMG_3940.JPG

IMG_3942.JPG

BeTreyed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! This is really an amazing build. Just read through all 603 posts on this and it was a roller coaster. Sorry to hear about your setback but glad to see you're about to be up and rolling again.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! This is really an amazing build. Just read through all 603 posts on this and it was a roller coaster. Sorry to hear about your setback but glad to see you're about to be up and rolling again.
Thank you. It has been a a fun journey even with the setback. It will have water fish and coral soon.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed the brace on the short side this morning. I first layed down a nice thick layer of resin and fiberglass cloth as a bed and layed the brace down in it. I then lag bolted it from the outside and then went back in and put a layer of fiberglass and resin over the top. I will do about 3 more layer and then paint this area with the epoxy paint.
IMG_3943.JPG
IMG_3944.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not mixing new salt water yet but getting closer every day. I put down a second layer of fiberglass and resin this evening so now 2 layers. I will do 2 more before painting.
IMG_3947.JPG

I spotted this little guy outside today. Apparently looking at his tail and belly he is eating all of the bugs trying to get in my building because he sure is a fat little dude.
IMG_3946.JPG

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, you are getting really good at laying glass. Those layers are looking really clean. Rest of it looks great too, looking forward to seeing this wet long term!
Thanks, This is my first time fiberglassing but i guess after about 750 square ft. I'm getting the hang of it. Now just got to hope all this reinforcing does the trick. I can't imagine that the front could flex after all that wood I added. During the first fill I was getting no noticeable deflection on the solid sides so I think I'm good to go this time.
I will get the painting done this week and then maybe next weekend I will get the rockwork rebuilt and in the tank.
I ordered 3 more bags of live sand today and I have 5 boxes of Reef Crystals on the way. So gearing up for the next fill I may let it sit a couple weeks this time before adding the salt.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fiberglass is complete and now painting has begun. A few coats of epoxy paint and then put the rocks back in the tank and wait for the silicone to cure a couple weeks and then water test. The clock is ticking just have to be patient. I will have water again by May 1st
IMG_3950.JPG

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok as of now I have 4 coats of epoxy paint on the reinforced area. I am considering all repair and upgraded reinforcing done. over the weekend I will work on reassembling my Marco rock and getting tat back in the tank. Then its just working on a lot of other projects waiting for the silicone to fully cure so I can add water. I have to travel to Phoenix all next week which will be good to keep me from rushing the refill. Glass has been in for 1 week so far.
This is what the final coat of paint looks like on the reinforced area.
IMG_3953.JPG

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got started this morning first cleaning the whole inside of the tank and the glass. Then it was time to start putting things back together. I first cleaned the plastic underlayment I have in place to protect the bottom from getting damaged should I have a rock slide. I then started getting all of the Marco rocks back in the tank I have about 300 lbs of the Marco I also have another 300 lbs of long term established rock that is currently living in my sump. The established rock will not go in until I fill and add salt which is still a few weeks out. These are pics of the first run at Aquascape with the Marco rock.
IMG_3954.JPG
IMG_3955.JPG
IMG_3956.JPG
IMG_3959.JPG
IMG_3961.JPG

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to make some good progress today.
Cleaned tank and Glass
Put plastic sheets in bottom
Put all of the Marco rock in and cemented it together with Marco 400
Hung up 3 light fixtures 2 are dual 250 MH and 4 T5 the 3rd is 6 T5
This is the first time I got to test all the lights. I left them on all day and everything worked great.
I wish I had 3 of the fixtures with the MH as in the pic you can clearly see the difference
I painted the front of the tank and the new reinforcing shelf.
Now I need to work on cleaning up all the wires I hate messy wiring.
I have 300 or so lbs of live rock in my sump that I've had for years and I plan on ordering another 100 lbs from Tampa Bay to really get some good diversity.
This is a pic with all lights on.
IMG_3966.JPG

Nigel35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was an incredible read through. I can't believe the roller coaster this has been for you but I ( and Reef2Reef) am so excited to see the tank progress. Keep up the good work my friend!

Best of Luck,

Nigel

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was an incredible read through. I can't believe the roller coaster this has been for you but I ( and Reef2Reef) am so excited to see the tank progress. Keep up the good work my friend!

Best of Luck,

Nigel
Thank You
Now I just have to take my own advice and be patient waiting for silicone to fully cure before adding water.

Mav88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought Tampa Bay live rock stopped orders? I may be thinking of a different vendor though, been following since the beginning, great work, looks great!

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought Tampa Bay live rock stopped orders? I may be thinking of a different vendor though, been following since the beginning, great work, looks great!
They did but they recently announced that they were reopening this summer with new owners. Hopefully they open soon but if not there is also Gulf Live Rock.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They did but they recently announced that they were reopening this summer with new owners. Hopefully they open soon but if not there is also Gulf Live Rock.
I tried to order from KP Aquatics and they were similarly, temporarily (I hope) not shipping. Placed and order with GulfLiverock 8 days ago but has not shipped yet...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back