Melanarus wrasse issue

bucfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 6 year old melanarus wrasse has developed these black dimple like stuff on his head. He does not seem to be sick and eats fine. What is it and what must I do?

IMG_1782.jpeg IMG_1783.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get a clearer photo, taken under white light instead of blue?

Did this come on suddenly, or did it develop gradually over time? Six years is pretty old for this species (probably max out at around 10 years). Some male wrasses are prone to odd changes in color and their skin over time, I suspect due to a buildup of sex hormones in the water (but that is unproven). If this change occurred over a few days, that isn't it though.

Jay

OP
OP
bucfan

bucfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get a clearer photo, taken under white light instead of blue?

Did this come on suddenly, or did it develop gradually over time? Six years is pretty old for this species (probably max out at around 10 years). Some male wrasses are prone to odd changes in color and their skin over time, I suspect due to a buildup of sex hormones in the water (but that is unproven). If this change occurred over a few days, that isn't it though.

Jay
This is the best I can do. He tends to stay near the glass so can't get the light on him. Looks like a black crater.
IMG_1787.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, that's a bit clearer. That isn't a symptom of any of the "classic" diseases. Looks like the wrasse has a bit of a pinched belly. Is it still eating well?

I wonder if it is indeed age related? We call these sorts of things "artifacts of captivity", where the fish just starts developing signs of wear and tear. I don't think it is the sex hormone issue that I mentioned before. I can't rule out Mycobacterium infection - aka fish tuberculosis. There is no treatment for that, and it mainly affects older fish.

Bottom line - I can't tell you to try any treatment for it.

Jay

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 51.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back