Melanarus wrasse with bladder

Ezeke1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I've had this melanarus for a year and over the past 6months he must of had an injury to his mouth because he cannot close it. Now I just noticed theres a bladder protruding from one side of his gills.

Does anyone know what this may be? He seems to be eating fine and healthy but I'm concerned about his longterm viability.

DD98161A-F25D-400F-B54C-14D585BA12FC.jpg

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get a couple photos with the blues off? Or several more shots?

It could simply be an abscess, but based on your description I worry it's a tumor. Perhaps now it's large enough that instead of only impacting his mouth, its growing large enough that it's protruding from the face. Unfortunately, there would be nothing you could do for that.

How long has this been going on? If it's just swelling, and it hasn't been going on too long, some epsom salt may do the trick.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to see in the picture, but I agree with Ford. It's likely something you can't do anything about. It either corrects itself, or it doesn't. I would worry that whatever it is, gets large enough to impact breathing and eating. Epsom salt would be worth a try and is reef safe. You could also attempt to QT with antibiotics.

OP
OP
Ezeke1

Ezeke1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try for a better pic but hes hard to get a snapshot of. The bladder is something I just noticed. Something to note is he's been swimming along the sand and rock ledges and much less in the open waters if that makes sense.

OP
OP
Ezeke1

Ezeke1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to close the loop on this thread. The day after my original post my melanarus did not surface from the sand and sadly I have not see him since :(

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back