Melanurus with eye (and fin) issue

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Melanurus wrasse I got about 3 weeks ago - came QT'd from Dr. Reef's Quarantined Fish and showed up happy, active, and eating right away. Spent two days in an acclimation box with sand - he ate right away and showed a strong appetite and slept in the sand at night.

Released into DT (an LPS heavy reef with 4 other fish) - Day 1 my large royal gramma gave him a bit of 'tude and on Day 2 I saw a small wound about halfway down his dorsal fin. Since then there has been no aggression issues and he has settled in well. Sleeps in the sand at night, comes out around breakfast, eats well, swims well and gets along with everyone.

Then today I noticed an issue with his left eye as you can see in this video:

(Youtube is processing the video for HD in case it is still showing as standard definition when you watch)

You can get a glimpse of the dorsal fin wound in the video as well.

The eye is a bit puffed up, a bit cloudy.

What can/should I do for his eye? What about the dorsal fin?

FWIW, I do not have a QT tank.

Thanks all!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn’t get a close look at the dorsal fin. I’m surprised that a royal gramma was aggressive like that, but it does seem like the wrasse got beat up a bit. Catching it is going to be difficult I imagine, but dosing with two antibiotics would be what I would do: erythromycin (maracyn 1) for the eye issue and then neoplex or other gram negative antibiotic for the dorsal fin issue.
Jay

OP
OP
beesnreefs

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn’t get a close look at the dorsal fin. I’m surprised that a royal gramma was aggressive like that, but it does seem like the wrasse got beat up a bit. Catching it is going to be difficult I imagine, but dosing with two antibiotics would be what I would do: erythromycin (maracyn 1) for the eye issue and then neoplex or other gram negative antibiotic for the dorsal fin issue.
Jay
Thanks for the response and help, @Jay Hemdal! I appreciate you.

If I'm unable to catch and QT this fish, what is the likelihood it heals on its own? It is eating very well and is no longer being harrassed....I've begun adding Auaforest Garlic Oil and Fish V to the food as well and he is eating it up.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response and help, @Jay Hemdal! I appreciate you.

If I'm unable to catch and QT this fish, what is the likelihood it heals on its own? It is eating very well and is no longer being harrassed....I've begun adding Auaforest Garlic Oil and Fish V to the food as well and he is eating it up.
In many cases, it seems the outcome of bacterial disease issues are more up to the fish as opposed to any treatment we offer - so hands off to see if it heals on its own may work as well as some medications you could use( since none of us can do sensitivity studies to know what bacteria is even involved).
Jay

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back