Melanurus wrasse and bare bottom holding/quarantine tank

rtague

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for some reason my Melanurus wrasse has apparently survived a velvet wipe out of my 100 g tank,I lost 9 fish in 6 days but this wrasse is healthy vibrant and eating very well,it's going on 3 weeks since the outbreak and he shows no signs of distress whatsoever,I set up a 30g quarantine/holding tank for all future fish and want to move the wrasse in there so I can start the fallow period on the display,the tank is bare bottom with some pvc piping for hiding places,my question,does a melanurus wrasse need a sand bottom of will the bare bottom be ok,he won't be the only fish in there.

NJDragonet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for some reason my Melanurus wrasse has apparently survived a velvet wipe out of my 100 g tank,I lost 9 fish in 6 days but this wrasse is healthy vibrant and eating very well,it's going on 3 weeks since the outbreak and he shows no signs of distress whatsoever,I set up a 30g quarantine/holding tank for all future fish and want to move the wrasse in there so I can start the fallow period on the display,the tank is bare bottom with some pvc piping for hiding places,my question,does a melanurus wrasse need a sand bottom of will the bare bottom be ok,he won't be the only fish in there.
I would say they do need a sand bottom almost all wrasses need them. Good luck!

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, as previously said he does need sand for his well being, but all you need is a bowl or container with 2 inches of sand in it for him to bury himself in.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put a tupperware bowl full of sand in the qt for fish that need the sand. They will find it. :)

So happy he survived for you. They are great fish. Good luck through fallow.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree you should provide a bowl of sand, but would also say i have rarely had a wrasse use it when i qt. Since i have no rock in there i have a lot of pvc elbows for fish to have cover and the wrasses always seem to prefer those to the container of sand.

My melanarus wrasse actually is never in the sand even in the DT. He prefers sleeping in a hole in the rock.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back