Melanurus wrasse and Yellow Coris Wrasse together

Jonas Bergkvist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much as the title says. I have a 150 gallon tank and i just saw this beautiful Halichoeres melanurus wrasse. Do you think it would be ok to buy one if i have a yellow coris wrasse already?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both in an 80 cube.

My corris has been with me for a few years now and is the tank boss. When I first got the MEL he was just a wee little dude and was actually afraid of my corris. As the Mel grew up, they squabble from time to time, but keep it pretty peaceful. Their squabbling is actually fun to watch! they never nip each other, but will flare all thier gills out and "dance" on their sides to each other. Quite comical to watch. I think my Mel want to take over the place of tank boss, but the corris isn't having any of that noise, and all the other fish stick up for the corris and chase the Mel away sometimes when they get to squabbling. Their squabbling isn't an every day occurrence, just once in a while.

I also have a red and yellow corris together and they get along great, even though everything says they shouldn't. They actually swim and hunt together, and are rarely ever apart(one would almost think they have paired up to mate, but we both know that isn't happening).

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW.....

If I was to do it again, I don't think I would add the 2 together. It's working for me at the moment, but I have no idea how long till the Mel gets fed up with the corris's carp and just outright kills it to take over the position of tank boss.

The Mel and corris about the same size as adults, but my Mel is much more muscular then the corris and I'm pretty sure could kill the corris whenever he feels the need to.

OP
OP
Jonas Bergkvist

Jonas Bergkvist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW.....

If I was to do it again, I don't think I would add the 2 together. It's working for me at the moment, but I have no idea how long till the Mel gets fed up with the corris's carp and just outright kills it to take over the position of tank boss.

The Mel and corris about the same size as adults, but my Mel is much more muscular then the corris and I'm pretty sure could kill the corris whenever he feels the need to.

It sounds nice that you have so many wrasses that actually get along well :) i will see if i will buy the Mel wrasse. Maybe there are more people who has the same fish as you and manage to keep them successfully :)

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot say enough about an acclimation box.

It's an absolute must when introducing wrasses to an already established tank full of wrasses.

My current "wrasse gang" consists of a yellow corris, red corris, melanarus, black leopard, long finned fairy, ornate leopard, and an exquisite fairy.

I love my wrasses as you can see. lol

OP
OP
Jonas Bergkvist

Jonas Bergkvist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's an absolute must when introducing wrasses to an already established tank full of wrasses.

My current "wrasse gang" consists of a yellow corris, red corris, melanarus, black leopard, long finned fairy, ornate leopard, and an exquisite fairy.

Yes, this is a good idea to keep him in a acclimation box. I will do that if i decide to get one. How long to you keep it in there before you release? A week?

I would also like a ornate leopard like you have :) But i hear they are difficult to keep, so i don't want to take any chances.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept some in the box as long as 2 weeks, but typically a couple days is all thats needed. You basically want your current fish to be able to see and swim around with the new addition. Basically the box is to get your current fish "used" to the new addition. You'll notice right away if there will be any aggression as any of your current fish will show displays of aggression to the box.

Leopard aren't necessarily "difficult" to keep, as what makes them a difficult species is their specialized feeding habits of only eating pods. Once you can get them to eat anything besides pods, the difficulty level goes way down. Of course if you can buy one thats already eating prepared foods, your chances of success is almost 100%.

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of yellow coris wrasse and a melanurus in a RS425-about 88 gallons. Never any issues between them.

I just added a cockerel wrasse yesterday to the tank. I acclimated and put in an acclimation box. I let it out after lights out. We will see.

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0

Do you have any PODs/ good critters surviving in your tank with the wrasses you have?

I ask coz in my 240 G setup, I had a LOT of big and small PODs, I added 1 Mel - now his tummy is always ready to explode but my tank critters do not show up ... some of the critters good for tank eco-system and I wonder if Mel was good for tank or bad ...

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 57.8%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back