Melanurus wrasse or Mystery wrasse?

hannernanner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi everyone,
Contemplating getting my first wrasse! I'd like something that's going to be utilitarian, and eat pests and such. I think I've narrowed it down to either a melanurus or a mystery wrasse. Any advice on which way to go? Other tank inhabitants: clownfish, pair of cardinals, tailspot blenny, various snails, a couple hermits, tuxedo urchin. Tank is a WB 130.4 (4' long 96gal display). I realize the mystery wrasse might be harder to find/more expensive, but let's ignore that for a moment..
Thanks for the input!
H

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally like the Melanurus wrasse. However, I have no experience with either but am looking to get a melanurus

HK180

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you only plan to have 1 wrasse, get a mystery. They are stunning and very active. However, they can be very aggressive with other wrasses, so if you plan on getting multiple wrasses, get a melanurus.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the mystery for the look, but I have a melanarus along with a sixline & cleaner wrasse and I love it. Constant swimmer in my fairly aggressive tank, eats well and is a model citizen.

Attachments

• 20210927_182238_HDR.jpg
    20210927_182238_HDR.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 67

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
Contemplating getting my first wrasse! I'd like something that's going to be utilitarian, and eat pests and such. I think I've narrowed it down to either a melanurus or a mystery wrasse. Any advice on which way to go? Other tank inhabitants: clownfish, pair of cardinals, tailspot blenny, various snails, a couple hermits, tuxedo urchin. Tank is a WB 130.4 (4' long 96gal display). I realize the mystery wrasse might be harder to find/more expensive, but let's ignore that for a moment..
Thanks for the input!
H
I’d say Melanurus, Mystery wrasses are aggressive and won’t allow other wrasse, and when you have one and have a big tank you just want more (I fell into that trap last year)

Back