Meredith's 180 In-wall happy place

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't stop at 300.......... Richard likes 500 better, not to mention the fragroom he's going to build you.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main difference between the tanks from what I have seen is where the overflows are located aqueon has them three or four inches from the corner where marineland is right on the corner i believe

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't stop at 300.......... Richard likes 500 better, not to mention the fragroom he's going to build you.

I'm going to show him this and hold him to it. I'll say, "but honey! Ben said you would!!" lol

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main difference between the tanks from what I have seen is where the overflows are located aqueon has them three or four inches from the corner where marineland is right on the corner i believe

True. I was going to go with Aqueon originally because of that. I wanted the tank to sit in the corner of the wall and be view-able from the end as well and didn't want a corner overflow to interfere with that. But since my husband vetoed that idea, it seemed smarter for me to get the better price and corner flows.

Ljaus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to convince my wife to allow me to put my next build in different place on which we originally agreed on....... it's not going to well!

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to convince my wife to allow me to put my next build in different place on which we originally agreed on....... it's not going to well!

My husband isn't thrilled about cutting a hole in the wall for this at all! I convinced him by sitting in our fairly small living room that is packed with furnature and asking him "well honey, where would you like it" Then I proceeded to do what I'm best at... I crushed every single idea he had with all the work that would go into just getting that spot ready for the tank. Most of the work he would have to do alone as well. One idea he had would have involved a jackhamer and sledgehammer which he was down for but would have taken a lot of money to finish up. lol He eventually went with the in-wall realizing that I could do most of that myself. :) Give it a shot.. might work.

Ljaus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My husband isn't thrilled about cutting a hole in the wall for this at all! I convinced him by sitting in our fairly small living room that is packed with furnature and asking him "well honey, where would you like it" Then I proceeded to do what I'm best at... I crushed every single idea he had with all the work that would go into just getting that spot ready for the tank. Most of the work he would have to do alone as well. One idea he had would have involved a jackhamer and sledgehammer which he was down for but would have taken a lot of money to finish up. lol He eventually went with the in-wall realizing that I could do most of that myself. :) Give it a shot.. might work.

That is the best! I'm trying my hardest, my argument is the proposed location is too hot and there would be to much sunlight, problem is it would look good where she wants it. But summer + Australia= chiller working a lot hence my argument to put it in a location where the air con is used a lot. I will keep trying tho!

Ponraj A

RIP Mr.Donovan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will surely looks great and it will also better to avoid all the sound of water and motors in the living room. This is my next project too and I am planning to make my son's room to a fish room and have to build an separate room for him in first floor.

All the best and I am sure it will be looking great.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the best! I'm trying my hardest, my argument is the proposed location is too hot and there would be to much sunlight, problem is it would look good where she wants it. But summer + Australia= chiller working a lot hence my argument to put it in a location where the air con is used a lot. I will keep trying tho!

Good luck!!

This will surely looks great and it will also better to avoid all the sound of water and motors in the living room. This is my next project too and I am planning to make my son's room to a fish room and have to build an separate room for him in first floor.

All the best and I am sure it will be looking great.

Thanks! The noise (which I've cut down quite a bit already) is one of the main reason I want it in the wall with all the equipment in another room. Good luck on your project :)

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went marineland because I could get a better deal on that brand through the store. From what I've heard, at this size, both brands are about on par with each other. I haven't seen any real issues with these brands on this size tank either. They tried to talk me into a custom build, but they gotta start paying me more before I can shell out that kinda moola. ;) Oh and with my track record, it'll be about a year and a half before I upgrade to the 300. lol <--- my husband would probably strangle me in my sleep!

Both builders build a good 180, they run sales at different times of the year so what ever is on sale.

I also have a 180 and love it. Allows me to keep the Tangs I want well, great area for aquascaping, and the volume helps with stability. I have a 100 gallon Rubbermaid sump, 40 breeder cheato refugium, SRO-5000 skimmer in a brute tote. I love my system. I would really like to see your filtration plan. What ideas do you have and are you looking for ideas? With a fish room you can have anything you want.

Here is a video I made shortly after set up, it's still a work in progress but it's in my garage so I can take my time and the wife doesn't mind at all. My tank is almost silent, only for the MP60 do I have any noise.

I just added a Red Sea Purple Tang not in this video.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to show him this and hold him to it. I'll say, "but honey! Ben said you would!!" lol

but-honey-we-d2nvzv.jpg

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following! Can't wait to see this
Thanks!

Following
Thanks!
Congrats on yours!
Tell the hubby it's going to be incredible!
Bigger is Better, just you wait!!!

Thank you! I tell him every day....I'm sure he will believe me sooner or later lol.
Exciting times, can't wait to watch the build. :)
Thanks!
Both builders build a good 180, they run sales at different times of the year so what ever is on sale.

I also have a 180 and love it. Allows me to keep the Tangs I want well, great area for aquascaping, and the volume helps with stability. I have a 100 gallon Rubbermaid sump, 40 breeder cheato refugium, SRO-5000 skimmer in a brute tote. I love my system. I would really like to see your filtration plan. What ideas do you have and are you looking for ideas? With a fish room you can have anything you want.

Here is a video I made shortly after set up, it's still a work in progress but it's in my garage so I can take my time and the wife doesn't mind at all. My tank is almost silent, only for the MP60 do I have any noise.

I just added a Red Sea Purple Tang not in this video.

I'm actually not 100% set on all the filtration components. I know I want to keep it as simple as I can. I'm using a 40 breeder as a sump and waiting to hear back from some people about getting some acrylic cut for it for free. If they don't pan out I'll have to go to this acrylic company in Dallas again and have baffles cut. No big either way. My husband has said he will help me build a mixing station and something to help with water changes. I want those to be as easy as possible. I have a few ideas on how to do that, but it will probably be decided on a little later. I can draw up some examples for here and let ya'll help me decide. I will have another 40 breeder that I'm currently using as a sump to play with, so that might get thrown into the mix somewhere.... still thinking. OH! and your tank is beautiful. Great set up!

HAHA!!!!

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the upgrade @melypr1985! Following along. Thanks for all the help you offer to all the folks on here. Can't wait to see this come to life, should be a good one!

Thank you! It's my pleasure. :)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back