OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aaaaannnnd, all five anthias are out exploring and eating! I fed them mini frozen mysis shrimp. So far so good. Knocking on wood again.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TTM QT DAY 2
I did a water change on the QT this morning and this evening after feeding each time. I'm overly cautious. When I got home this evening and fed, one of the 5 anthias wasn't eating and instead was pressed up against the corner of the tank at the top of the water, facing upwards. It's odd behavior that I've seen before with these anthias. It usually, but not always, precedes a bacterial infection that gets very severe very fast. I'm running kanaplex as of tonight to -hopefully- counteract this before it starts showing signs of the infection. Nipping it in the bud as it were.

The other four are doing fine, really active and eating well..... so far.... *knocks on wood again*

J-West

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 90 was more than a few years ago. We kept moving from apartment to apartment every year or two, so we didn't set up a tank again until we bought our house. That time I started with a 40 gallon, upgraded to a 75 and now to the 180.

So do you still have the 75 gallon tank up and running, or are you only running the 180 gallon now ?

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So do you still have the 75 gallon tank up and running, or are you only running the 180 gallon now ?

Nah.. The 75 was traded to a customer from the store who regretted his purchase of a non-reef ready tank. The non reef ready 75 and my old stand and stuff are in my garage. I just have the 180 display, the 20 gallon frag tank (coral/invert QT) and various fish QTs.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WEEEELLLLLLL.... I've done the third transfer after doing 24 hours of prazipro. The tank clouded up pretty badly, but they are in a nice, clean, clear tank today. Of course, now one of my little girls has a SWOLLEN EYE!! Dangit. I just couldn't get through my first QT in a year without a problem. Kanaplex was dosed today and will continue until the swelling goes down. They are mostly all eating still, which is great, but they are all pretty much hiding when I'm in the room now. Dangit again. I also broke one of my brand new heaters that I bought just for this, so I now need to go buy yet another. Not to be debbie downer here. They are beautiful and doing pretty darn good so far. **Knocks on wood** I hope the eye heals and they continue to do pretty well for me.

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WEEEELLLLLLL.... I've done the third transfer after doing 24 hours of prazipro. The tank clouded up pretty badly, but they are in a nice, clean, clear tank today. Of course, now one of my little girls has a SWOLLEN EYE!! Dangit. I just couldn't get through my first QT in a year without a problem. Kanaplex was dosed today and will continue until the swelling goes down. They are mostly all eating still, which is great, but they are all pretty much hiding when I'm in the room now. Dangit again. I also broke one of my brand new heaters that I bought just for this, so I now need to go buy yet another. Not to be debbie downer here. They are beautiful and doing pretty darn good so far. **Knocks on wood** I hope the eye heals and they continue to do pretty well for me.
They will be alright.
You got this.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aaaannnddd. Eyeball as I've come to call her, still has a swollen eye ball. At least it's not cloudy yet. I'll be doing a water change tonight since I've been feeding twice a day. I'll be redosing the kanaplex as well. Eyeball is the one in the center on the bottom.
17352521_1794900623868772_5194112304133045905_n.jpg

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aaaannnddd. Eyeball as I've come to call her, still has a swollen eye ball. At least it's not cloudy yet. I'll be doing a water change tonight since I've been feeding twice a day. I'll be redosing the kanaplex as well. Eyeball is the one in the center on the bottom.
17352521_1794900623868772_5194112304133045905_n.jpg
I hope she pulls through.
Have you tried some Epsom salt?
Or maybe I may have missed that part....

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope she pulls through.
Have you tried some Epsom salt?
Or maybe I may have missed that part....

I haven't gone there yet. I have some... I just gotta find where I put it! It's been SO LONG!! lol

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found it!!! Got it mixed up and dosed into the QT as well. So...

Water change done
Kanaplex redosed
Epsom salt dosed at 1 tbsp per 5 gallons. (10 gallon QT equals two tablespoons)

We shall see how it goes :)

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found it!!! Got it mixed up and dosed into the QT as well. So...

Water change done
Kanaplex redosed
Epsom salt dosed at 1 tbsp per 5 gallons. (10 gallon QT equals two tablespoons)

We shall see how it goes :)
Nice!
Glad you found it.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT Day 9. Tomorrow is the 4th transfer. The water was super cloudy and around 72 degrees since I broke the brand new heater I had for this tank. Bought a new one today and put it in after a water change. Eyeball's eye is still messed up. The epsom salt hasn't helped yet, but I plan on dosing it again in the new tank. Still running with kanaplex which I think is doing it's job because the eye hasn't gotten infected yet. Everybody perked up and came out to eat after the water change as well! I've run through most of the water I made for this so i'm making more tonight.
Video update! Featuring "Eyeball"

My manager surprised me today. I had asked for a diamond sleeper goby and a Lubock's wrasse and the fish didn't get ordered.... long story there but it involved a different manager than the one that surprised me. The nice one saw how sad I was that I didn't get the fish I asked for and totally ordered them yesterday and surprised me with them today! Yay! Only problem? I'm not done with this round of QT!!! EEEK! So, I'll be purchasing another 10 gallon tank and running these fish through QT in that for now. I purchased them and left them at the store for the night and will bring them home tomorrow.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I am feeling lazy (and also u haven't posted on ur thread since Thursday) and don't feel like scrolling thru ur thread to see where u got ur clean up crew that didn't have any fish in the systems as I need a CUC stat thanks hope the anthias are all good and Popeye is ok

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I am feeling lazy (and also u haven't posted on ur thread since Thursday) and don't feel like scrolling thru ur thread to see where u got ur clean up crew that didn't have any fish in the systems as I need a CUC stat thanks hope the anthias are all good and Popeye is ok

I've been super busy lately!! Tons of work (I have three jobs) and the kiddo with play dates ect. ANYWAY, I got the clean up crew from reefcleaners. I verified that they don't keep fish in their systems at all, so that's good news. They came in pretty good and good size as well.

"Eyeball" is doing well as are the rest of the anthias. It's not really popeye. After close examination it's really just a bubble that has swelled up above the eye. I've haven't looked closely today as yet, but today is the last transfer and they have all gone through a full kanaplex treatment and prazipro as well. I'm just letting it play through and see what happens during their "observation period".

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three jobs man I hate the one I go too

Glad to hear the fish are well and thanks for the info

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been super busy lately!! Tons of work (I have three jobs) and the kiddo with play dates ect. ANYWAY, I got the clean up crew from reefcleaners. I verified that they don't keep fish in their systems at all, so that's good news. They came in pretty good and good size as well.

"Eyeball" is doing well as are the rest of the anthias. It's not really popeye. After close examination it's really just a bubble that has swelled up above the eye. I've haven't looked closely today as yet, but today is the last transfer and they have all gone through a full kanaplex treatment and prazipro as well. I'm just letting it play through and see what happens during their "observation period".
Hi mely. Are you not going to QT the clean up crew? They may be in separate tanks from fish but do you know how long have they been there, or when was the latest addition? Any of these could bring attached Tomonts.

I get my fish and cuc direct from one of Europe's largest livestock suppliers (Tropical Marine Centre) and they also have completely separate systems for snails and other inverts (namely because they run low level copper in the fish systems) but i still QT because you do not know if they were brought in last week or last month. Would love to here you twlling me otherwise as i could do without the added hassle [emoji5]

On another note, how many members of cuc did you buy? I see everything from 1 per gallon to 1 per 10 gallons and anything in between sonwould lime to see your opinion.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi mely. Are you not going to QT the clean up crew? They may be in separate tanks from fish but do you know how long have they been there, or when was the latest addition? Any of these could bring attached Tomonts.

I get my fish and cuc direct from one of Europe's largest livestock suppliers (Tropical Marine Centre) and they also have completely separate systems for snails and other inverts (namely because they run low level copper in the fish systems) but i still QT because you do not know if they were brought in last week or last month. Would love to here you twlling me otherwise as i could do without the added hassle [emoji5]

On another note, how many members of cuc did you buy? I see everything from 1 per gallon to 1 per 10 gallons and anything in between sonwould lime to see your opinion.

I did not QT these inverts, though I usually do and am still running additional inverts through QT. I only skipped it with that particular batch of CUC because I grilled these guys. They assured me they didn't keep fish at all in their facility. I've been watching my fish closely and haven't seen anything going on with them..... THIS ISN'T SOMETHING I RECOMMEND ANYBODY DO. It's a risk, and on my part a calculated one.

I don't remember how many I got, but it wasn't much. I just needed enough to handle the diatom bloom that happened big time in my tank when I started it. You don't need to buy a certain number of CUC per gallon. Just get a small amount according to the algae and detritus you need cleaned up.... if you need more later, then add more. There's no real set amount ya know?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back