melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have good news and bad news.

Bad news first: Three of my corals from the WWC live sale have died. All three acros. Two died the day after they arrived. I sent them a couple messages and an email on their website but never heard back from them. So much for awesome birthday corals. :( Anyway, I'm accepting the losses and moving on. Hopefully - knock on wood- the rest of the corals do well and make it into the display.

Good news!! I like to end on a good note. I bought two large green BTA's today. Boy these guys came in really big for the regular price I normally charge for much much smaller ones. So, I grabbed two for myself. I haven't tried an anemone in over a year at least and not at all in the new tank. I placed one on each side of the tank and cut the flow some so they could settle in. Pictures!!! Everyone cross your fingers for me that they don't suck into the rock and disappear like every other anemone I've tried. lol
FTS for August (ignore the light being on in the fish room behind lol)
FTS August 2017.jpg

New BTA on the left side of the tank.
August 2017 Green BTA.jpg

New BTA on the right side of the tank.
August 2017 Green BTA 2.jpg

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is looking great.
I love build threads and yours is near the top of my list
Thanks!!! I'm glad to hear that.
Congrats on the upgrade! Love in wall builds but sadly our house wasn't really built for one so an office tank it is. A whole lotta fun doing a build though regardless of size.

Was sad to hear about the anthias. I'm also planning on 5-6 lyre tails(hopefully for Christmas) but maybe I'll keep them in the 60 cube for a while to let them get larger before putting them into the new DT.

Thanks for the thread!
I love all new builds! There is so much potential and so many possibilities. Just so many directions you can take it.... I love that. I was sad about the anthias as well, but I will try again. My next fish additions will not include anthias, even though I just got in 6 really nice Purple Queens at the shop ( I was super tempted). I can't treat anthias with CP so they will wait on the back-burner until I can get the next batch of fish through CP. What are the new fish you ask? You'll just have to wait and see!! They are still at the shop but I've put them on hold for myself and will probably bring them home on Thursday. :D

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bad news first: Three of my corals from the WWC live sale have died. All three acros. Two died the day after they arrived. I sent them a couple messages and an email on their website but never heard back from them. So much for awesome birthday corals. :( Anyway, I'm accepting the losses and moving on. Hopefully - knock on wood- the rest of the corals do well and make it into the display.

Good news!! I like to end on a good note. I bought two large green BTA's today. Boy these guys came in really big for the regular price I normally charge for much much smaller ones. So, I grabbed two for myself. I haven't tried an anemone in over a year at least and not at all in the new tank. I placed one on each side of the tank and cut the flow some so they could settle in. Pictures!!! Everyone cross your fingers for me that they don't suck into the rock and disappear like every other anemone I've tried. lol
FTS August 2017.jpg

Boooo losing corals stink :(

Sorry to hear Mel, but it looks like the rest of the tank is doing well.

Rob77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always happy to help! Best of luck with your build :D
Thank you too ..... it is the truth though I seen your build before I joined and thought thats what I want just scaled down !....................but but but now Imma wishing Bigger I think!!!!! ahhhhhh it never stops does it!

Rob77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always happy to help! Best of luck with your build :D
Thank you too ..... it is the truth though I seen your build before I joined and thought thats what I want just scaled down !....................but but but now Imma wishing Bigger I think!!!!! ahhhhhh it never stops does it!

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update time. The news isn't awesome. Both anemones are now on the left side of the tank in pretty much the same spot (in the back of course) and looking kinda like poo right now. The huge birdsnest colony had a sudden bleaching event. about 75% of the colony bleached during the course of today. It looked just fine when the lights came on at 11am and looked terrible by 6pm. I stupidly didn't do any water tests, just went ahead and did my normal water change (30%). The colony came out and got a LARGE trimming. I got all the dead pieces from underneath and most of the newly dead part our of the display leaving behind only healthy looking new growth. The rest of the colony was trimmed up the best I could do for now and placed in the frag tank. I'll take it to work tomorrow and use the bone cutters to trim it the rest of the way then sell it off. The fox coral has been looking ticked off lately too, but since it was so close to the toadstool that is getting ready to shed it's mucus, I moved it further away in hopes to help curb any coral warfare. I forgot all about my skimmer not being on for the last month or so. I cleaned that out and got it tuned back in and running again. I hope that all works out! Now for pictures!

Post trim, water change ect. This was about the size of a soccer ball... A kinda flat soccer ball.
birdsnest a.jpg

After a partial trim and into the frag tank.
birdsnest b.jpg

After the trim and water change. This is what's left in the display.
birdsnest c.jpg

The white toadstool getting waxy and ready to shed. You can just see the fox coral that's all ticked off on the far left of the picture after being moved.
white toadstool.jpg

The green toadstool is still trying to frag itself VERY slowly.
green toadstool.jpg

And last, the acanthophylia after being fed some coral frenzy.... with a purple tang photo bomb
acantho.jpg

Last edited:

ddwmedic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly I can't see your pictures... they all have an X through them. All of your other shots have come through nicely?
Sorry to hear about your coral problems

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly I can't see your pictures... they all have an X through them. All of your other shots have come through nicely?
Sorry to hear about your coral problems

Hang on I'll try to fix it.

Ok should be fixed now.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about your problems. :(

My coral issues seem to be improving a little but not completely gone yet. I may need to scale back my sps dreams and start with more softies.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about your problems. :(

My coral issues seem to be improving a little but not completely gone yet. I may need to scale back my sps dreams and start with more softies.
Yeah, my acro dreams seem to be a little far fetched for what I'm willing to do as far as maintenance. I really really don't want to dose. I'm willing to add lighting to the tank to supplement, though my husband and I haven't settled on what we want to go with for that. We were talking about building our own MH fixtures. lol

That worked...
Keep up the good work, they will come back!

Oh I know it will. :) It's no big in the grand scheme. I do want to update that the rest of the colony died and polluted my frag tank a bit. Getting ready for a large water change on that after removing the colony skeleton. :(

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always hate loosing corals. Especially when its a nice colony.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

FTS August 2017.jpg

Beautiful...I hope to have one of those some day!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really really don't want to dose.
Oddly enough, I really do want to dose. When I bought my used system it came with an Apex and the DOS unit. I've had BRS 2 part for months with everything mixed and ready. I have a brand new container of kalk ready to go. My alk and calc just don't drop. Some day I'm going to turn the corner. Now that I have a lower alk salt mix, things do seem to be improving. I have actually had an acro in my tank for 3 weeks now and it is still alive. That is a new record!

I do want to update that the rest of the colony died and polluted my frag tank a bit

:(

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oddly enough, I really do want to dose. When I bought my used system it came with an Apex and the DOS unit. I've had BRS 2 part for months with everything mixed and ready. I have a brand new container of kalk ready to go. My alk and calc just don't drop. Some day I'm going to turn the corner. Now that I have a lower alk salt mix, things do seem to be improving. I have actually had an acro in my tank for 3 weeks now and it is still alive. That is a new record!:(
As you get more corals and the corals want to grow, you will need to dose. You will get your wish. Patience, grasshopper.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back