Mermaid (plural) Tank | What would you build?

o00brandon00o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came across this on local CL...

What would you do if you had the resources (spouse permission, time, space, $$)?

Quick calculators out there on gallons?
4' x 4' x 10'

Still new to R2R, are there any this big here?

https://orlando.craigslist.org/bfs/d/aquarium-large/6562865628.html

00U0U_gsBAfF428Wv_600x450.jpg

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy cow. A 4' deep tank would be a colossal pain in the butt to clean! You'd have to snorkel or dive. But then again, you could probably have all the tangs and large angels you wanted! Plenty of room in there.

OP
OP
o00brandon00o

o00brandon00o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are those real Mermaid!?

@nfrench2100 Yes, yes they are! Thank you for asking, was it that easy to tell?!

They were locally aquacultured here in FL from birth (errr... hatch) not captured from nature - you know, sustainable mermaid keeping practices.

Now that natural FL populations levels are returning due to their food supply of lionfish increasing I would expect their pricing to come down to meet supply. Sick ones usually cost less so don't be fooled, you get what you pay for.

Typically the reefkeeping guidance recommends keeping one (1) mermaid by herself due to strong territorial issues, however these two (2) mermaids look like they are pretty comfortable in the tank together. Large gaps in mermaid age differences tend to show less signs of aggression as the closer in age the more competitive tendencies the owners have reported.

Feeding habits revolve around sprinkling a Chipotle chicken bowl with guac every couple of days supplemented by the occasional frozen cappuccino from Starbucks (warning, may cause hyperactivity and extra conversational tendencies with tank mates.)

Fellas! ...I'm a big family man, take it from me: you need to make sure your spouse understands the responsibility of raising a mermaid before you just mosey through the door with her. It is not a part of this hobby taken lightly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
o00brandon00o

o00brandon00o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these captive bred from Weeki Wachee? https://weekiwachee.com/

As I am sure you have seen in the media and bookface: mermaid exploitation for profit by ALL of the big, evil companies is at an all-time-high. Fact.

Weeki Wachee is leading the industry in promoting SAFE mermaid breeding and exhibits for visitors to enjoy 370 days a year, all the other guys are only open 365! Commitment.

OP
OP
o00brandon00o

o00brandon00o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you lot are nuttier than a squirels fart!.... like your missus would ever let you keep a mermaid ; )

@garethwood The real problem is when they get on the wrong diet and get too big for their owner's tanks.

...only so many options at that point, you know...

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you need to qt them before putting them in your display? Should i use copper or prazipro?

And if you want to breed them do you need mer-men..... oh wait nevermind.

Finally, what do you think about the alegations that many specimens are actually land-maids passed of as mermaids by unscrupulous vendors?

OP
OP
o00brandon00o

o00brandon00o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you need to qt them before putting them in your display? Should i use copper or prazipro?

And if you want to breed them do you need mer-men..... oh wait nevermind.

Finally, what do you think about the alegations that many specimens are actually land-maids passed of as mermaids by unscrupulous vendors?

@VR28man How dare you assume their gender!

If you are going to add a mermaid to an established colony then yes, the new addition would need to be in a QT minimum 15-minutes, enough time to rinse off any residual flying pixie dust.

What you should be worried about is the additional maintenance of cleaning all that hair out of the filter!

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really feel that tank is just not big enough for one mermaid let alone two. What were you thinking? They are open water creatures who shelter in mangroves to have their young. How will they live out their natural behaviors in that size tank? And they will become very stressed without proper places to retreat. This added stress makes them prone to ich.

OP
OP
o00brandon00o

o00brandon00o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really feel that tank is just not big enough for one mermaid let alone two. What were you thinking? They are open water creatures who shelter in mangroves to have their young. How will they live out their natural behaviors in that size tank? And they will become very stressed without proper places to retreat. This added stress makes them prone to ich.

@Victoria M

Extensive research has shown their highest growth potential to have direct line-of-sight toward some sort of Windows 95 screensaver, a solid 12-14 hours per day. It probably has to do with all the hertz.

Thank you for pointing out some species have a tendency to ich, themselves.

Owners commonly documented an increase in hair during filter cleanings due to all the iching.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Victoria M

Extensive research has shown their highest growth potential to have direct line-of-sight toward some sort of Windows 95 screensaver, a solid 12-14 hours per day. It probably has to do with all the hertz.

Thank you for pointing out some species have a tendency to ich, themselves.

Owners commonly documented an increase in hair during filter cleanings due to all the iching.
Brandon and others, I commend you for researching prior to purchasing these beautiful creatures. please continue to read, read, read. It is just too challenging to meet their needs in captivity. I would like to recommend you see the documentry "The little Mermaid". You will find that not even the ocean is big enough for some of these specimens.

nfrench2100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@nfrench2100 Yes, yes they are! Thank you for asking, was it that easy to tell?!

They were locally aquacultured here in FL from birth (errr... hatch) not captured from nature - you know, sustainable mermaid keeping practices.

Now that natural FL populations levels are returning due to their food supply of lionfish increasing I would expect their pricing to come down to meet supply. Sick ones usually cost less so don't be fooled, you get what you pay for.

Typically the reefkeeping guidance recommends keeping one (1) mermaid by herself due to strong territorial issues, however these two (2) mermaids look like they are pretty comfortable in the tank together. Large gaps in mermaid age differences tend to show less signs of aggression as the closer in age the more competitive tendencies the owners have reported.

Feeding habits revolve around sprinkling a Chipotle chicken bowl with guac every couple of days supplemented by the occasional frozen cappuccino from Starbucks (warning, may cause hyperactivity and extra conversational tendencies with tank mates.)

Fellas! ...I'm a big family man, take it from me: you need to make sure your spouse understands the responsibility of raising a mermaid before you just mosey through the door with her. It is not a part of this hobby taken lightly.

This response is priceless [emoji28]

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy cow. A 4' deep tank would be a colossal pain in the butt to clean! You'd have to snorkel or dive. But then again, you could probably have all the tangs and large angels you wanted! Plenty of room in there.

One of my summer jobs for high school was public pool. Deep end I would use hookah system. To clean it.Lot a fun and found lot a loose change. Enough for lunch and some.

OP
OP
o00brandon00o

o00brandon00o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my summer jobs for high school was public pool. Deep end I would use hookah system. To clean it.Lot a fun and found lot a loose change. Enough for lunch and some.

@Jomama So what you are saying is that you can rent out your mermaid to perform large cleaning jobs! She can keep a percentage in the form of Wi-Fi minutes (what's she gonna do with money anyway?). That way your investment can start earning you a profit! #moveover401k

Jsieger89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are you the mermaid Police????

Back