Messed up Ocellaris love lives

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a long time we had a pair of Ocellaris clowns in one small tank and a pair of Black & White Ocellaris in another. When I built the 120G both pairs went in and stayed paired, establishing their own little zones in the tank. The Mama Ocellaris was the overall queen of the bunch though, always harassing & dominating the two Black & Whites.
Then a few months ago the male Ocellaris got bug eye and couldn't be saved in time.
Oddly enough, the two females have become best buddies and the small male Black & White is left on his own most of the time.

Then this happened:

IMG_7825.JPG

I'm pretty sure the eggs are from the 'queen' orange & white Ocellaris. But it sure looks like the 'female' Black & White is tending them. As far as I know, females don't turn back into males - or am I wrong? These two sure act like they are paired off.

- D

OP
OP
don_chuwish

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think we'll be able to save the hatchlings. Not only do we not have a way to care for the hatchlings - no tank or food ready - but they'll probably hatch while we're away for Thanksgiving.
I'm still really curious about the Black & White 'female' though - 'she' sure acts like the male mating partner.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back