Messed up salinity and I am in trouble. What did I do wrong?

OP
OP
Chelymay

Chelymay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been there and done it all with water issues. My one tip: invest in a glass hydrometer for salinity (not yeast, or alcohol.) Get a Tropic Marin hydrometer. If you can't , you can pick up a mini glass knockoff (again, for salinity, and not alcohol) off of Amazon quite cheaply, and they're pretty accurate (but should still be checked, in case you got a dud). Why? It's the only type of instrument which measures salinity that never has to be calibrated. Everything else, including electronic checkers, drifts. The one con: they're usually big and awkward to use.

Salinity issues caused at least 90% of my problems when I started my builds.
Agreed. 95% of my freshwater tank issues are resolved with clean water. But that being said salt and fresh couldn’t be more different to me.
Stability is true in both but getting the right salinity and elements are tricky for me right now. I know it will get easier.

Corals are a beautiful thing to behold. I want all of them but I get it now, they are not plants that just need a flourish tab shoved under their roots.

They are amazing little creatures that have stolen my heart. I know you reefers feel it too.

I want it all and I want it now”

OP
OP
Chelymay

Chelymay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so take a breath and just
CHILL.
Do one thing and only one thing at a time. Go slow.
You still have fish that need you too so put that in the forefront of your mind.
Now. Clean everything up in there. Anything dying or dead or too far gone. Make up some new water cuz you need to get that crap out of there and move on.
Now chill some more.
Don't go back to your LFS just for your own piece of mind for a bit and because you don't need to drive 90 minutes and waste that time.
Let us bring it right to you now.
Once salinity is great test for other parameters. Just concentrate on ammonia, maybe pH. Test all your other things and write them down.
You can start to get those in order little by little. Your fish don't care and neither does your rock so you have a running reef tank just not what you had or wanted but one nonetheless. So start there.
Everything is going to be okay. Stop listening to everything and take a step back and listen to yourself for a minute.
Instant ocean salt is 6 1/2 cup measures or 3 cups of salt per 5 gallons for about 1.025 or 6. Any of the big brands will bring your parameters in line in a tank that small with a water change a week for a bit. Need to just get everything stable for a minute or two.
Hopefully this helps a bit.
Don't ever be afraid to ask us questions on here. Were here for you.
Thank you. I am overjoyed that you and everyone here is so nice and willing to help without making me feel ashamed for my mistakes. The people at my LFS kinda do that. I end up in a panic and buy whatever they tell me.

I am going to upgrade my salt brand, which is, in my opinion, one of the most important things to have and the one thing my LFS has never mentioned?
Here is a picture of all the things I have purchased and I stare at them and think, I shouldn’t have to put all of this in there. Right?

Attachments

• AA5D6727-3E30-4661-BB91-A8E6FD86B7A9.jpeg
    AA5D6727-3E30-4661-BB91-A8E6FD86B7A9.jpeg
    162.6 KB · Views: 47
OP
OP
Chelymay

Chelymay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea Coral Pro is my favorite.

1616451125032.png

A lot of people love Tropic Marin PRO

1616451152488.png

Brightwell's mix is also apparently really good.

1616451103592.png

I'm so consistent with my RedSea Mixes adding 2.5 cups that every now and then I don't even check the salinity before I dump it (More accidental then intentional)

Nice to have a consistency like that.
Those all look far superior to what I am using. I also have heard that Fritz ProAquatics Reef Pro Mix is also good. Too many choices.

Here is a question, when I do change my salt how do I do that?

I am thinking a little bit with each water change, not sure on the percentages. 10% new salt with each water change or more?

Or is it ok to just to switch it out? Get the bad water out asap? That sounded wrong as I typed it

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your advise. Here’s what I know.

Was it a new batch of salt?
I had pre-mixed a 20 gallon batch several days before.

Is it the same batch you were using before this all began?-
I used the same formula 1/2 cup per gallon of rodi water .

And, which salt mix are you using?-
Instant Ocean, which has always been clumpy or solid no matter if it’s in a sealed bag or sealed bucket.

Your LFS said you corals had a bacterial infection. What is this based on?-
He looked at the pictures and told me to dip them for 30 minutes to prevent more tissue loss from the infection. Wait a week and do it again until they recovered.

If you have Cyano.-
I am not sure if I do, he said I did by looking at the pictures.

Ignore your local fish store. It seems to me that you present a problem to them and they sell you a solution in a bottle.-
I bought the reef dip $15 and the red slime remover
They said I should be adding iodine so I bought the Red Sea Trace Colors PRO Multi Test Kit Iodine/Potassium/Iron $70. Plus the Iodine supplement $20 to find out that my iodine is .09 so that was a waste of time and money.

To be honest my corals have never been in great condition. They usually die or deteriorate. Some of the the coral I bought early on had no chance based on what I know now and my water parameters then. They just wanted a sell I’m thinking.

I am very open with my water parameters with them before I buy to make sure they are going to be happy in my tank.

I feel terrible about this. ☹️

Are you using Instant Ocean or Instant Ocean Reef Crystals? I like the stuff and have been using it 15 years. They do have a tendency to put out bad batches, so, it is a good idea to test a fresh batch from time to time and be sure that your results match what is listed on the bag.

I am glad to hear you are using RODI. Based on independent recollection, I recall reading posts here on R2R that talk about how tricky it can be, storing pre-mixed salt water and the effects on its chemistry during storage. Personally, I don't mix fresh batches of salt water until the day before I use it. This allows you to get your temperature correct before adding your salt and getting a thorough mix before using it.

Always double check on here what the LFS tells you. They are trying to compete with the internet. But because they are physical stores, they have larger overhead and find it difficult to compete with on line services. This is why they are quick to try and sell you something; it is a matter of survival. The $90 they had you spend on iodine and supporting test kits proves my point.

Please try not to beat yourself up about this. You are new to the hobby and you are going to make mistakes.

Corals need light... good light. Good light provides spread and intensity. So tell us about the lights you are using.

Post some full tank pictures of your setup.

If you follow the advice you get here, your tank will THRIVE.

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Chely sounds like a rollercoaster. Sorry your having issues. How is your coralline growth? Your tank is young still. your water Params sound good. I feel that it may be time for an ATI water test. This will give you a baseline. It also does ro/di water. In my experience this can be the cause of your issues as zero tds water can still have some metals in it. I was having issues and it was copper getting through my ro.. ATI caught it, and my tds read zero. This killed my snails, but not my coral, although coral looked terrible. What are you using for flow?

You are right on about stability.
instant ocean is great salt.

My vote for the new tank is something 30” front to back. The extra depth gives you great options for scape and flow.

ReeferLou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So less phosphate and more nitrates. Should I be using phosphate remover and feeding more. I feed once a day with a variety of frozen, flake and pellets.
I used phosguard in my freshwater tanks.
I dose NeoNitro and it lowers my phosphates. Hannah check phos at .13 and if I dose NeoNitro at 5ml in 75 gal next day phos is down to .04. My Nitrates test less than 1ppm. My system is nitrate limited too like yours.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chelymay

Chelymay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using Instant Ocean or Instant Ocean Reef Crystals? I like the stuff and have been using it 15 years. They do have a tendency to put out bad batches, so, it is a good idea to test a fresh batch from time to time and be sure that your results match what is listed on the bag.

I am glad to hear you are using RODI. Based on independent recollection, I recall reading posts here on R2R that talk about how tricky it can be, storing pre-mixed salt water and the effects on its chemistry during storage. Personally, I don't mix fresh batches of salt water until the day before I use it. This allows you to get your temperature correct before adding your salt and getting a thorough mix before using it.

Always double check on here what the LFS tells you. They are trying to compete with the internet. But because they are physical stores, they have larger overhead and find it difficult to compete with on line services. This is why they are quick to try and sell you something; it is a matter of survival. The $90 they had you spend on iodine and supporting test kits proves my point.

Please try not to beat yourself up about this. You are new to the hobby and you are going to make mistakes.

Corals need light... good light. Good light provides spread and intensity. So tell us about the lights you are using.

Post some full tank pictures of your setup.

If you follow the advice you get here, your tank will THRIVE.
Thank you but I do get upset when I mess up, luckily you guys got my back.

I usually mix 2 days before. Plus I have some rodi set aside for top off. I am not sure if I should use rodi straight from the holding tank or let it “set” a day.

I am using two NICREW 100 Watts Aquarium LED Reef Lights currently. They’re not easy to control you have limited choices, white or blue or both. Increases are at 20% increments. White is as low as it can be and blue is at 60%. I also have a really small blue led for nighttime viewing that turns off at 10pm.

I am going to get a larger tank very soon and I would like to get the AI Prime lights. I hear good things about them.

Here is my JBJ 45 AIO. I turned my white up to get a better picture.

Attachments

• D7F93569-9184-4D7E-BE4B-43518ECC1893.jpeg
    D7F93569-9184-4D7E-BE4B-43518ECC1893.jpeg
    134.4 KB · Views: 32
OP
OP
Chelymay

Chelymay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose NeoNitro and it lowers my phosphates. Hannah check phos at .13 and if I dose NeoNitro at 5ml in 75 gal next day phos is down to .04. My Nitrates test less than 1ppm. My system is nitrate limited too like yours.
How often do you dose?

reefGoat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is so hard because you want everything to be perfect for you little guys and gals. I absolutely think of my coral as being more than a plant.

I love java fern in my freshwater water but it doesn’t seem the same as coral. I have never been devastated when my freshwater plants die.

Does that sound harsh, I do love my plants but it’s just feels different to me.
Hang in there, it will get easier! Take it slow and only try to change 1 thing at a time.

And FYI corals are animals not plants

Pdash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the long post.

My tank details are:
45 gallon AIO
Temperature: 80
Salinity: 1.025
PH: 8.2
Calcium: 520+ (it’s always been high)
Alkalinity: 9-10
Nitrate: 0
Phosphate: .25

I have been having issues with my corals. They seemed to be doing fine then I did a water change on Saturday and then boom everything looked terrible. On Sunday I went to my LFS and they tested my water, my salinity dipped from the usual 1.025 to 1.021- I was using a hydrometer and have since learned that they are VERY inaccurate so I bought a refractometer.

They said the other parameters looked great. So I was told to go home and bring my salinity back up slowly. Did that in 2 water changes and over the week that followed watched in horror as my beautiful corals begin to die because of me.

As I said almost immediately after the salinity dip my corals started to fall apart. I had two happy hammers, one had just split, the split one is now falling apart while the other is hanging in there. My xenia disintegrated, zoas closed up and are receding from the rock, green button closed up and looks fleshy, toadstool and kenya tree falling apart and turning to mush. My green star polyps are stressed but are out and my mushrooms shrank a bit but are alive.

All of my fish are fine. Thankfully

I lost all of my snails, one shrimp and my urchin ☹️ but my remaining shrimp, conch and a hermit crabs are still alive. What? Why? How?

I had some KoralRecovery on hand so I added that for a few days until I could get to my LFS (it’s an hour+ away)

One week later I again go to my LFS where they tested my water and said it all looked good and my salinity is back to 1.025 but I said my corals are still looking pretty bad and what can I do to help them?

I showed some pictures to my LFS guy and he said it looked like my corals had a bacterial infection and to dip them in Seachem Reef Dip which I did yesterday for 30 minutes in tank water, gave them a quick rinse in tank water and back home to the tank they went.
One of the other guys that works there said I should be dosing iodine so I bought a Red Sea tester kit and the iodine+ supplement. He also pointed out that I have cyano and I then bought Ultra Life Red Slime remover which is what he used and it worked. Haven’t been able to bring myself to put anything in the tank. I’m afraid now.

I tested it today and it was .09 which is high. Is it too high? Is it my salt mix (Instant Ocean)? I read it could be Nori but I only give that to my blenny twice a week and it is a tiny 2” piece.

I usually have carbon and Chemipure in my media basket but removed it when I put the KoralRecovery in but I put the carbon back in yesterday with a tiny water change because I needed a couple gallons of tank water to do the dip and rinse.

What could be causing it to be high and I am guessing that I should not be adding iodine at this point.

I am fairly new to saltwater, less than a year but have been a freshwater aquarists for a decade. I figured I could learn salt since I understand how a biological system works. Stability is key. Don’t chase numbers, small corrections and patience!!!

I am doubting all my decisions now, all I do is read and read and read some more. My head is going to explode.

There are literally a million posts and videos on “how to start a reef tank in one day” out there and they can’t all be right.

I got the all in one jbj 45 and now I wish I had a place to put all the stuff I should have to keep my system stable. All I have is a media basket and some filter socks and some bio pellets. Oh and two small power heads.

Definitely going to upgrade like soon.

What am I doing wrong? Bring it on, I want to learn and will welcome the criticism.

Maybe a compliment sandwich if you will
You know, this is good but this is bad but this is good.

Thanks you guys in advance, you always come through here on reef2reef!!

My tank details are:
45 gallon AIO
Temperature: 80
Salinity: 1.025
PH: 8.2
Calcium: 520+ (it’s always been high)
Alkalinity: 9-10
Nitrate: 0
Phosphate: .25

The first 5 pics are a couple of days after the salinity issue and the last 2 are from today, the day after the coral dip.

A78A5390-ECCB-4705-BD03-4C27F7B3F2A2.jpeg 6EE92649-51F3-4795-986B-C88C72F893C7.jpeg 1F1128C9-E0DC-440E-AF56-4C30E34B63AA.jpeg 8C8A2554-0FCE-4832-9CA8-9E957B21E893.jpeg 85BC3F60-518E-428C-9680-D72923716F00.jpeg 1D25C0B9-802A-421B-9C1C-75B17BFBA4B7.jpeg DA166024-E1F4-4B7E-9289-7D2509010473.jpeg
Your main problem is you are having issues then running to a LFS for advice. Don't do this... please.
You need to know ahead of time how to handle various possible problems.
1. Local fish stores lie, distort, or just don't know what they are talking about. They must sell you stuff to survive.
2. Even if they are honest they never have as much info about your own tank as you do, so this limits how helpful they can be.
3. Time is of the essence, knowing what you are doing reduces the time between a problem arising and you finding a solution.

Last edited:

tamanning

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t rinse mine after each use and would shake the pointer loose so it would float freely. I think that may have had something to do with the inaccuracy.
hydrometer not withstanding the best thing you can do is calm down. problems show up fast recovery is a bit more slow. It sounds like you have taken the correct steps. Keep your tank levels where your corals were used to before and they will come back give them time. Good luck.

Pdash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read that high salinity is worse then low. So I would agree with you on that. I am just wondering if I should up my salt game and not buy on the cheap. I am willing to buy the best salt out there if I new what it was. Maybe it will help with my calcium always being high?
For fish, coral not so much. Cheap salt is not the issue with your tank.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Myself, and plenty others, have used regular instant ocean for years and years. Changing salt brands isn't going to fix the issues.

Like many have said above: go slow.

We are all guessing here at how to help.

If I were in your position I'd focus on getting things stable through basic small weekly water changes.

This all takes time. Do 10% weekly water changes and test for alk, calc, NO3, po4, salinity and pH. Test before and after the change. See your trends.

I doubt you need to be dosing anything right now.

Get everything stable before you start dosing/adding stuff from bottles.

Then keep things stable for a few months until you feel confident you "know" your tank.

Good luck and have fun!

OP
OP
Chelymay

Chelymay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hang in there, it will get easier! Take it slow and only try to change 1 thing at a time.

And FYI corals are animals not plants
During all my research I was amazed to find out that they are indeed animals. I get just as upset when they don’t greet me every morning like my fishies do.

When my tank is unhappy, I am unhappy

I am strong in my resolve to make this a beautiful journey. They are worth it!

I was raised on the beaches in Florida but I fell in love with the smoky mountains and I live at the top of one now.

I fell in love with reefing and I have my ocean with me now too. It’s crazy but I can’t help myself.

ReeferLou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do you dose?
Dose Every day for nitrate- I also test every other day but get close to zero. test my phosphates t1 per week unless I am changing something. When my phosphates spike up to .1 I know I need to add a little more NO3. I am too scared to dump enough NO3 in to get a 5ppm reading. But I may keep upping the dose to 2 or 3ppm

ss30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just let it rest for a week or so, if running LED's and you can turn them down then do it. The only other this is your P04(Phosphates) is way to high needs to be around .03-.06 and you need some N03(Nitrates) around 10-15ppm.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those all look far superior to what I am using. I also have heard that Fritz ProAquatics Reef Pro Mix is also good. Too many choices.

Here is a question, when I do change my salt how do I do that?

I am thinking a little bit with each water change, not sure on the percentages. 10% new salt with each water change or more?

Or is it ok to just to switch it out? Get the bad water out asap? That sounded wrong as I typed it
No one else answered yet but 100% you can just switch it.

You could technically do a 100% WC with new saltwater. It wouldn't have any bad effects as long as it was heated to same tank temp.

I'd say just do some 20% WC's though every week either spread out or at once doesn't matter, and you'll see improvements with any of the new salt mixes I mentioned.

Fritz is good too, basically just don't ever use Instant Ocean LOL.

OP
OP
Chelymay

Chelymay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one else answered yet but 100% you can just switch it.

You could technically do a 100% WC with new saltwater. It wouldn't have any bad effects as long as it was heated to same tank temp.

I'd say just do some 20% WC's though every week either spread out or at once doesn't matter, and you'll see improvements with any of the new salt mixes I mentioned.

Fritz is good too, basically just don't ever use Instant Ocean LOL.
Really wow. That is awesome!

I went ahead and ordered some Fritz top of the line stuff they have. It will be here on Thursday.

It says on their info.

Parameters:
Salinity 35 ppt (1.0264 sg)
Calcium 400-450 ppm
Magnesium 1350-1450 ppm
Alkalinity 8.0 - 9.0 dKH
Strontium 9 ppm
Potassium 400 ppm.

I think that is in line with what everyone is telling me. Fingers crossed. So long Instant Ocean.
Thanks so much

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 43 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.1%
Back