Metal framing/bracing

Johndros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a hot minute since I posted or participated outside of the buy/sell forums haha.

So I'm still working on my 100g 4'x2'. I'm going to be using a hood to house my aquatic life hybrid.

They don't make plastic framing for aftermarket purchase so I was considering building an aluminum top frame with cross
bracing. I'm quite good at welding and brazing so it should be an easy project.

The crossbars I will just drill a few holes in the aluminum and use stainless hardware to fasten tightly so that the cross bars can be removed when aquascaping or heavy maintenance.

Has anyone seen this done before? You guys think it's overkill? Throw me your thoughts. I'll probably be starting in the next week or 2.

reefguy4664

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is hanging your aquatic life hybrid not an option or just prefer a hood over the tank? Is your tank rimmed or rimless? I don't have any experience with welding, but I've always thought about building a hood or canopy, but I rather use some type of hanging solution for my lighting. Also is this hood going to be hung from something or resting on the tank?

OP
OP
J

Johndros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is hanging your aquatic life hybrid not an option or just prefer a hood over the tank? Is your tank rimmed or rimless? I don't have any experience with welding, but I've always thought about building a hood or canopy, but I rather use some type of hanging solution for my lighting. Also is this hood going to be hung from something or resting on the tank?
I'm in if the weird 5% in the hobby that just like a hood. My new tank is not actually new, I got it second hand from a guy in my are. It's a 100g rimless and the silicone shows some signs of age. So for my piece of mind I am going to take a weekend and reseal the seams and put a frame on it. Peace of mind.

OP
OP
J

Johndros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think for me it's the "light pollution" or spillover into the rest if the room that I don't like. Our house is an open floor plan so the whole downstairs glows when I tried it on my last tank haha

reefguy4664

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can definitely understand the light spill issue. Personally I don't mind it, but I can see how it would be annoying.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back