Status
Not open for further replies.

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be fair.... the reason BRS mounted then that high is because that's what it took to minimize the visible color separation of LEDs..... many threads i have read mention ~ 16" above water to eliminate this.
They mounted them that high for the best light spread. I just pointed out that even at that height they are putting out lots of par.

tamanning

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Halides, and i also like the deep blue supplementation from the Orphek bars i have flanking them. I might consider the Radions, but I'm looking at $7200 for just the LEDs I'd need to cover my new tank.... And roughly the same for the V4s. 4 brand new ballasts, brand new reflectors, and new 250w bulbs are $900.... That's just too much coral and fish i can buy for $6k. AND i simply just don't have that kind of cash to drop all at once....
It seems funny to me we are paying thousands for something that costs pennies to manufacture. I get it the new is sexy ,but, come on.

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am finding myself looking at metal halides more and more lately. I have a 150 gallon SPS dominate tank with (4) Mars Aqua black boxes. I am getting decent growth and coloring. I am about to switch out factory diodes with a better spectrum to see.

I recently added a 2 bulb 60" ATI Blue+ retro kit 3 weeks ago and honestly I can see a big difference in color and growth?

I am looking at the Hamilton Cebu system. Do you think I should go with 250w or 400w?

Screenshot_20200426-214224_Chrome.jpg

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am finding myself looking at metal halides more and more lately. I have a 150 gallon SPS dominate tank with (4) Mars Aqua black boxes. I am getting decent growth and coloring. I am about to switch out factory diodes with a better spectrum to see.

I recently added a 2 bulb 60" ATI Blue+ retro kit 3 weeks ago and honestly I can see a big difference in color and growth?

I am looking at the Hamilton Cebu system. Do you think I should go with 250w or 400w?

Screenshot_20200426-214224_Chrome.jpg

wattage would depend heavily on tank height, mounting height, bulb choice, and ballast choice.
For instance. If your tank is 24” deep or less. 250 watt is fine. If it’s 30” deep, 250 watt may still be fine if you use 10k or maybe 14k bulbs. If it’s 30” deep and you’re going to run electronic ballasts and 20,000k, I’d consider 400 watt.

Tampaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 250w MH with brand new electronic ballast on a 72" 150g and can tell you its plenty of light anywhere in the tank, create overhangs for low light items. Acclimate corals coming from led/t5 setups, start them low.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this is the right place to ask but seems like plenty of experience going around in here so... I'm getting ready to fire up a 180gal (72x24x25). Looking to get to sps dominant ultimately but I'd like a few lps mixed in as I like them. I'm not wanting to get forced into using a chiller, would 3x175 work or should I get 3x250? Looking hard at the Cebu Suns. Anyone finding they don't need to cool at all? I live in Wisconsin and this tank will be in the basement where it's always cooler year round consistently. The 20k appeals to my eyes the most at this point. Bulb brand and ballast suggestions very welcome! Thanks all in advance.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this is the right place to ask but seems like plenty of experience going around in here so... I'm getting ready to fire up a 180gal (72x24x25). Looking to get to sps dominant ultimately but I'd like a few lps mixed in as I like them. I'm not wanting to get forced into using a chiller, would 3x175 work or should I get 3x250? Looking hard at the Cebu Suns. Anyone finding they don't need to cool at all? I live in Wisconsin and this tank will be in the basement where it's always cooler year round consistently. The 20k appeals to my eyes the most at this point. Bulb brand and ballast suggestions very welcome! Thanks all in advance.
MH lamps mounted vertically in a pendant fixture will focus light in a tighter pattern than a bulb mounted horizontally. In your situation, 175w lamps should be fine. Personally, if I were to use MH lamps, I'd go with 14000K.

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a office fan aimed at the water will cool it fine . If not get some AC

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my 250 watt radium bulb on a m80 ballast.

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

3 x 175W should work for you, but I agree with Dana that horizontally mounted light would give you a much better spread. However 175 W lamps are hard to find. Make life easy on yourself and use 3 x 250W. I live in AZ with the AC set at 78 and my tank gets to 79.8 at the highest, with fans. I use 3 x 250W MH over my current rimless tank. Rimless tanks without enclosed hoods are very good at dissipating tank heat and use them if you can. I like the look of both the 14K Phoenix and 20K radiums.

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still using 2 X 250W Hamilton 20Ks with electronic ballast over my 75gal. zoanthid only system.
Cebu has fans. You could also run a Vornado fan between the water surface and the fixture.
For the 250W, 20Ks... Hamilton with electronic ballast works great. The Radiums should be used with the M80 ballasts for better performance and longer bulb life. Great for SPS systems!!!! Radiums CAN be used with electronic, though, but performance will be changed besides spectrum will be bluer to the eyes. I prefer to use with the M80. I had 2 X 250W Radiums over my 75gal also with M80. Loved it! I love all bulbs. LOL! My only problem is that the zoas grow very fast with the Radiums/ M80.
My suggestion is for 250W, either Hamilton or Radium.
Have fun!

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently changed from 250w radiums on electronic ballasts which were way to blue for me and went with ushio 400w 14k bulbs. Love the color the white light brings out. Night and day but things are still transitioning to the new bulbs and higher par.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Now you decide the answer for this question:
0:19 - LEDs or Metal Halides for the Acros?
Don't forget to quarantine your corals! :cool:

Look I know this is a really old thread, but I stumbled on this and its one of the funniest things ive seen in a long time :D

Mike konesky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phillips where you guys at with those 20k cmh bulbs? Should have spent the RND money on that new led on 20k cmh bulbs instead. I hear the horticulture guys (big market for your current bulbs) are just dying for you to make something around 20k. Wink wink. I'll be patiently waiting.

Last edited:

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2017?????
What is your point?
HE talks about led replacement in 5-7 years..
Already crunched those numbers w/ current costs..

Just mh bulbs for the above 4 (worst case, could be 3) sets $59 each.. $472.... (250W hamiltons at "20000k" eh)
Assuming no ballasts fail...

Yep cheaper but not orders of magnitudes cheaper and NOT even adding another bulb to make up for not using the t5's.. (another 4X $59 =$236)..

Of course one would need to lower the $2200 fixture cost..
$289 x 3 plus $139 x 3= $1284..

$1284 + $472 = $1756.. vs $3359..

3= 250W MH's vs 4 radions..

LED degradation is speculative ATM..
Mh's shift spectrum almost instantaneously, well lets say monthly...
f2fig3.jpg

radium5.JPG

Quote.. Is one any better than another.................
NO
Hey this is a lot of information that I don’t understand. But I do understand that halide be better than LED. Who cares about the money YOLO friends

OlafsReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad to say is that I feel the same way today. In the beginning when I stated watching their videos I was impressed with the graphics and many things they said so well. I admire their hard work, availability/shipping and professionalism, but their videos are part of the job! That's the way it is if you want to succeed doing business. The videos will tell you what you need to hear to buy the products you are looking for no matter what!
Nailed it. Coming back to find the forums of the early 2000's gone, and my local group a thing of the past, it took me a about half a year and some $ to realize this. Though informative and done with passion, it is not where you (at least I) want to go to find information based solely on long-term experience growing what I want to grow. A fantastic way to convince yourself to buy something you think you might want though!

Took me a bit to rediscover the old salt reefers, forum goers, and locals with gorgeous life-filled tanks. Spent too long hunting through blue LED laden shots of dry rock tanks chocked full of a few $1k of the most expensive equipment someone can sell you. That said, there's some solid info for new-comers, and they are a good way to inspire people to join a great hobby.

Ha! Okay I think I need to wait til my coffee kicks in before getting on here next time. Too much salt in the blood on this one.

Last edited:

OlafsReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran 250w 1x over a frag tank and 2x over a display for years and never needed a chiller (in Seattle). They were pendants not enclosed in a canopy. I have not run the Cebu Suns, they came after my time. Some setups to look into: The classic Radium+m80, Radium + Selectable Wattage Electronic on Super Lumens Setting (underdriving them a bit), Reefbrite hybrid pendent + electronic ballast (run cooler), any of the Hamilton setups. Bulbs... Radium 20k, Hamilton 14/20k, Phoenix 14k.

Last edited:

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 years reefing, over 20 with MH and almost 10 with leds. I filled a 210g tank with MH and VHO. My leds I just figured out and I'm getting goog growth. I would say 35% better with MH. Bulb changes and electricity cost keep me using leds.

OlafsReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 years reefing, over 20 with MH and almost 10 with leds. I filled a 210g tank with MH and VHO. My leds I just figured out and I'm getting goog growth. I would say 35% better with MH. Bulb changes and electricity cost keep me using leds.
Honest question, how do you feel about having to change the LED after 4-5 year to make up for their decay/loss in power? If we have to use more LED fixtures and have to change them every 4-5 years that ends up costing a good deal more than 4-5 year of MH bulbs, no? That said I have some "high-end" LEDS, but am weighing the truth of the replacement / power cost claims of late. The second half, power consumption, is more complicated question as we have to consider tank depth / MH wattage to LED Wattage and any cooling issues/costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back