MH ballasts tripping GFCI power strip

i_declare_bankruptcy

out of control
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a power strip that is GFCI protecting (meaning the plug for the power strip has the GFCI circuit built in, not the outlet) my in-tank equipment. I also run 2 36"T5 and 2 150HQI/magnetic ballasts through it on timers. I have the ballasts turning on 5 minutes apart (to avoid tripping the breaker). All of this equipment is relatively new and functioning correctly as I can tell. Even with the timing staggered, very occasionally one of the ballasts will trip the GFCI and the tank shuts off. Definitely makes me scared when I leave in the morning to surf or go on vacation or whatever. My tank is in my office and I've been lucky enough to catch it recently while working.

I understand GFCI's are error prone; would the best approach here be to move the MH ballasts over to a non-protected strip? I have a non protected strip running my MP40's and MP10 as well as ATO and doser. If the GFCI trips I will at least have flow in the tank, worst case. Anyways, what is the risk of this? My lights are hanging on a rack; since they're DE bulbs they have a glass plate as well so it seems safe to me but I still get freaked out thinking the rack will fall into the water or something.

Any thoughts here?

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The power draw on the MH light is causing the problem. Move it over to a non gfi outlet.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back