MH & LED Mix Help with par/photo period

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, I guess I know why the hammy 20k par might have been so low... My 10-year-old Eletronic ballast just went up in smoke. big pop and she was done. guess testing bulbs was too much for it. I did notice one of my other ballast was running a bit yellow and down to 248 watts, they normally around 260 the last time I tested. So time to find 3 more ballast.
Better it happened during testing than running while you were away.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello
Above my tank (180g standard) is 3 x 250 watt phoenix bulbs (electronic ballast), 4x viparspectra black boxes half the white optics are removed and 2x Blue 470nm light bars flanking the other lights. lights are 16 inches above the water ,Now I know this is enough light to melt even the most light loving acro. But looks fantastic throughout the photo period. since I have all the lights my goal is a ramp through out the day with the benefits of both lights. but confused on par levels when it comes to the LED.

Right now is
2x Light bars 12 hrs
4x viparspectra 10 hrs total, par 180 to 200 at the top of my rocks 130 to 150 at bottom of tank.
MH runs for 3 hrs working them up to 4 hrs total run time. Still need to get par for all lights on.
While I don't have any sps corals in this tank right now (getting ready to order some) My lps at the bottom of the tank have been under this lighting for a week now and look great.
With the par being 200 just from the led I assume this is still less par than I would have with 400 watt metal halide.Using the 250" as a peak sun. Just wondering if anybody would think this is to much/ not enough. any thoughts?
That measurements for the led sounds very low for what they can put out. Have you verified those measurements with a different meter?

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
300 par is low for my sps lol. I have 300 par across the bottom of my tank.
Without knowing the photoinhibition points for your individual corals, I'm sure 300 should be fine. Have you noticed any improvements since you hit 300? You can always experiment by gradually changing levels later.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without knowing the photoinhibition points for your individual corals, I'm sure 300 should be fine. Have you noticed any improvements since you hit 300? You can always experiment by gradually changing levels later.
I had photoinabition when my lights were running higher. 55% per channel. Now I'm running them at 35% getting 300 par at the bottom, and corals have started taking off.

Funny thing I had, that got me to double check my par was sps were literally branching in a downward direction instead of up. Now that I turned my lights down they are branching normally.

Now I still have 500 par at mid level and 700 at the upper 1/4 to 1/3 of the display.

OP
OP
W

wrassie86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That measurements for the led sounds very low for what they can put out. Have you verified those measurements with a different meter?
Yes, 200 250 par was my starting point for the LED before the halides were to kick on, but one of my old Halide ballasts went out and a second is on its way out also. So until I get 3 new ballasts, I have 6 viparspectra lighting the tank. Last quick check i was @ 300ish par at the top of rocks

OP
OP
W

wrassie86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had photoinabition when my lights were running higher. 55% per channel. Now I'm running them at 35% getting 300 par at the bottom, and corals have started taking off.

Funny thing I had, that got me to double check my par was sps were literally branching in a downward direction instead of up. Now that I turned my lights down they are branching normally.

Now I still have 500 par at mid level and 700 at the upper 1/4 to 1/3 of the display.
How long is your peak lighting? what lights are you running?

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Funny thing I had, that got me to double check my par was sps were literally branching in a downward direction instead of up."
Wonder if they were picking up on the reflected light from the bottom, or trying to grow away from the source.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, 200 250 par was my starting point for the LED before the halides were to kick on, but one of my old Halide ballasts went out and a second is on its way out also. So until I get 3 new ballasts, I have 6 viparspectra lighting the tank. Last quick check i was @ 300ish par at the top of rocks
And the bottom area?

OP
OP
W

wrassie86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Funny thing I had, that got me to double check my par was sps were literally branching in a downward direction instead of up."
Wonder if they were picking up on the reflected light from the bottom, or trying to grow away from the source.
I've had acro's and digita do that from to much downward flow. have also seen it in other people tanks, not sure if it was lights or flow.

Last edited:

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had acro's and digita do that from to much downward flow. have also seen it in other people tanks, not sure if it was lights or flow.
My flow has not changed, and I've got extremely varied flow, with the following, 4 jeabo mcd10000 pumps on closed loop across the back wall. 6 scp150 gyres 2 sow22 and 2 ow20 powerheads spread around the back and side walls. There's 3 pumps powerheads per side with a gyre low near the Nottoway pushing water through the rockwork.

This is in my 400g. So downward flow is not the issue in my case. Only change has been dialing the lights down a bit , which within a week the sps started showing a shift in growth.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you think that should be closer to 300 par?
It all depends on your coral plans and placement. I nor anyone else can tell you what's best par for your system since we have not seen it and have no clue on your stocking plans.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back