MHLLE cures

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, my hippo tang has been in QT with all the other fish while my tank is fallow. They did 30 days in copper. now he has pretty far advanced MHLLE.

Pretty regular water changes, copper is down to 0.05ppm now. I feed reef frenzy, nori, flake and spirolina pellets.

I have read a little bit and basically what I have read is... nobody know why or how to cure.

2c253f16df1eef7dfb9a3a29c573f003.jpg

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not a fish expert by any means but from what I have read and seen with my own eyes is that stray voltage and certain carbon types will raise the odds of hippos getting HLLE.
@Humblefish might be of some further assistance here.

Dmb092182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would zoecon, selcon, and vitachem to add to there food. My purple tang looked bad during fallow period but when I added back to display he got better and no issues now.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
pdxmonkeyboy

pdxmonkeyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks guys, I REALLY appreciate it.

FFR... I am pretty sure I know how this happened. the fish were finished with QT and I put some carbon in a filter sock and clipped it to a powerhead.

The carbon was tumbling, it was late, and I wasn't thinking. the next morning the entire tank was INK BLACK!! I couldn't even see the fish!!

ran canister filter stuffed with floss and it was gone clear as a bell when I came home. I read that carbon fines can clog the pores and cause MHLLE.

anyways... adding selcon every feeding. going to get some freeze dried shrimp to soak.

OP
OP
pdxmonkeyboy

pdxmonkeyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wanted to post an update.

A number of things happened in my fallow QT, including flooding the basement so I told myself.. 61 days is long enough!!

Took the hippo and naso out and put them in my DT. It's a much safer place then in a small tank with the murderous Achilles and brutish Sohal.

Been feeding reef frenzy with beta glucan... .more people should be using this!! also soaking their nori in zoecon and I dosed the tank with vitamin C.

The hippo looks better already!!! the white is almost gone and its black now. He is out happily swimming.

I will try to post a pic later. Just thought I would post some good news.

Thanks everyone!!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 82.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%

Back