mhowe9's 245G display and Fish Room

mhowe9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In early May this year, my wife and I made the unexpected decision to move. This was just after I completed a project that include a new breeding room and dual in-wall tanks (245G and 180G). The tanks had been up for about six months when we decided to move. The move allowed both of us to cut a significant amount of drive time off of our commutes each day. We ended up moving to the new house in the first week of July. In the process of getting ready to move and actually moving I ended losing quite a bit of livestock.
Once we got settled into the new house, I turned my plans to getting both a display tank and breeding system up and running. Here was the plan that I came up with.
Fish-Room-Design-2-1.jpg

I ended up start building in October. I didn't get take many build pictures since I was too busy building. I am happy to have both the breeding set up and display tanks back up and running. Below are some pictures and some descriptions of the both of the systems as they stand today
In wall display tank (245G). Still need to finish trimming it out. I am thinking right now of an Angelfish/Butterfly SPS tank but we will see how it shakes out.
FTS.jpg

FTS2.jpg

Sump for the display with a ASM G6 skimmer, carbon reactor, and live rock
Display-Sump.jpg

Breeding setup. When it is all complete it will hold 23 tanks.
Breeding-Setup-4.jpg

Left racks
Breeding-Setup-2.jpg

Right Racks including the sump with a ATI skimmer, Reeflo Dart Return Pump, carbor reactor, and live rock.
Breeding-Setup-3.jpg

Quarantine Sytems (2 22G tanks and a 29G cube)
QT-System.jpg

fraggingfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that's an awesome setup. How is the maintenance for all of that.
With over 400g in water, those water changes sound very brutal.

OP
OP
mhowe9

mhowe9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The plan is to do the waterchanges in the main sumps only and cleaning the detritus from the tanks. The plan is 50g monthly on each system (Breeding and Display). I also built a semi automated water change system using the auto top offs that will make the process easier. I am pretty sure that I can carve out an hour or two month to get that accomplished.

OP
OP
mhowe9

mhowe9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the final display tank all trimmed out. My daughter wanted the purple wall so we did the purple trim to match.

Trimmed-out-display.jpg

OP
OP
mhowe9

mhowe9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took a couple videos today of the display tank and some new brood stock additions to the breeding system.

The Display Tank

[video=youtube;E-IT7pXVNkY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-IT7pXVNkY&list=UU4HqyqGoFbTk9-66Y-x1CQw&index=1&feature=plcp[/video]

No Spotcinctus Broodstock

[video=youtube;vqLUxi7yZCQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqLUxi7yZCQ&feature=BFa&list=UU4HqyqGoFbTk 9-66Y-x1CQw&lf=plcp[/video]

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back