Mi_seriousbluereef Red Sea 3XL 900 build

Mi_seriousbluereef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 15+ years in the hobby, I have started building my dream tank. My Red Sea 3XL 900 was delivered in February 2021 and sat in my garage until October 2021.
The tank is now set up and plumbed. Waiting on me to build the habitat negative aquascape. Work hours and the holidays have slowed things down. My only days off are Sundays so I get one day a week to work on it.
This is going to be a slow build.
F87805AC-81C5-460E-8A1B-B65D6F5B9C60.jpeg
A9721B22-0F5E-441F-9FDB-1F7A66B229BA.jpeg
FEC25413-8C98-45FE-9AA8-1CA924284649.jpeg

Jaredtexas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 15+ years in the hobby, I have started building my dream tank. My Red Sea 3XL 900 was delivered in February 2021 and sat in my garage until October 2021.
The tank is now set up and plumbed. Waiting on me to build the habitat negative aquascape. Work hours and the holidays have slowed things down. My only days off are Sundays so I get one day a week to work on it.
This is going to be a slow build.
F87805AC-81C5-460E-8A1B-B65D6F5B9C60.jpeg
A9721B22-0F5E-441F-9FDB-1F7A66B229BA.jpeg
FEC25413-8C98-45FE-9AA8-1CA924284649.jpeg
I have the same tank man. Love it so far my only complaints are the space under cabinet. I should have done a false wall in the electrical portion to hide all my cables. I would recommend that. I also wish the return lines were bigger than 3/4” other than that the quality is absolutely insane and the tank is extremely well thought out

your tank came with the bars that support the front sag right? I am not sure if when you got the tank if they had the fix for it yet and started including it? They are aluminum and you 100% will need them

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank man. Love it so far my only complaints are the space under cabinet. I should have done a false wall in the electrical portion to hide all my cables. I would recommend that. I also wish the return lines were bigger than 3/4” other than that the quality is absolutely insane and the tank is extremely well thought out

your tank came with the bars that support the front sag right? I am not sure if when you got the tank if they had the fix for it yet and started including it? They are aluminum and you 100% will need them
I too have the same tank and I love it. Got it in October and they have the bars in the front. I'm debating putting a wall to separate the second sump from the rest of that cabinet. We are just now getting around to mounting 2 control boards. Too much equipment iwth apex to use the cabinet so will mount on wall with an acrylic cabinet over to protect from splashes. Dry side will be for dosing.

Oh, if you didn't get one, the RS pull out panel add on is worth it. Nice to be able to pull out the equipment to get to it.

I love that it is well planned. So quiet once everything is dialed in. My 125 was always noisy. Could never get the returns quiet!

What equipment are you going with. I went all Red Sea plus 2 mp40's and it truly is an awesome set up. Can't wait to see what you come up with

OP
OP
Mi_seriousbluereef

Mi_seriousbluereef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too have the same tank and I love it. Got it in October and they have the bars in the front. I'm debating putting a wall to separate the second sump from the rest of that cabinet. We are just now getting around to mounting 2 control boards. Too much equipment iwth apex to use the cabinet so will mount on wall with an acrylic cabinet over to protect from splashes. Dry side will be for dosing.

Oh, if you didn't get one, the RS pull out panel add on is worth it. Nice to be able to pull out the equipment to get to it.

I love that it is well planned. So quiet once everything is dialed in. My 125 was always noisy. Could never get the returns quiet!

What equipment are you going with. I went all Red Sea plus 2 mp40's and it truly is an awesome set up. Can't wait to see what you come up with
I’ve got 2 Jaebo SCP-120 gyres on my 125g right now. I’ll start with those. Planning on getting 2 MP60’s in the future

I was thinking about getting the pull out panel. Glad to hear you like it. I did get the Innovative Reef control board that fits on the dry side. That will make it so much easier to keep everything neat.

Are you using your ATO?

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got 2 Jaebo SCP-120 gyres on my 125g right now. I’ll start with those. Planning on getting 2 MP60’s in the future

I was thinking about getting the pull out panel. Glad to hear you like it. I did get the Innovative Reef control board that fits on the dry side. That will make it so much easier to keep everything neat.

Are you using your ATO?
I hadn't seen the innovative reef control board . I got 2 of the adaptive ones from BRS. Between 2 rs 45's, 2 mp40's, 2 heaters, 2 return pumps, 2 dosers, skimmer, lights, algae scrubber a nd all the apex stuff including a trident, and god knows what else, there is no way it would fit in the dry side without having to block the back where the air venting is. I may have my husband put a panel on the wetside to block it and add maybe a power strip there. We are just now getting around to organizing all this "stuff". He's even designing and building an acrylic case to go over the control boards to keep splashes out (I have about 15-20 inches on each side of the tank so tight fit)

I'm using the apex atk for my ato, running it from the garage. I set up the 2nd sump connected so have a refugium in the back and right now, the pump for the manifold and the UV in the 1st chamber. I'm moving the pump to the main sump though so I can use that area for my reactor.

Using the rs 45's on each end and 2 mp40s on back, I have no detritus in the sand or rocks so def. consider adding flow to back. Of course, depends on your rockscape a bit. Super pleased with the tank and set up

are you going to see if you can get those middle struts? You'd need to do before water in!

OP
OP
Mi_seriousbluereef

Mi_seriousbluereef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hadn't seen the innovative reef control board . I got 2 of the adaptive ones from BRS. Between 2 rs 45's, 2 mp40's, 2 heaters, 2 return pumps, 2 dosers, skimmer, lights, algae scrubber a nd all the apex stuff including a trident, and god knows what else, there is no way it would fit in the dry side without having to block the back where the air venting is. I may have my husband put a panel on the wetside to block it and add maybe a power strip there. We are just now getting around to organizing all this "stuff". He's even designing and building an acrylic case to go over the control boards to keep splashes out (I have about 15-20 inches on each side of the tank so tight fit)

I'm using the apex atk for my ato, running it from the garage. I set up the 2nd sump connected so have a refugium in the back and right now, the pump for the manifold and the UV in the 1st chamber. I'm moving the pump to the main sump though so I can use that area for my reactor.

Using the rs 45's on each end and 2 mp40s on back, I have no detritus in the sand or rocks so def. consider adding flow to back. Of course, depends on your rockscape a bit. Super pleased with the tank and set up

are you going to see if you can get those middle struts? You'd need to do before water in!
Susan, meant Adaptive Reef. My brain isn’t working today.
My cabinet did come with the bars to prevent sagging. Glad I don’t have to worry about that.
Do you have substrate in your tank? I’m going to be putting in a DSB so my power head placement is going to have to be finessed a bit. It may make more sense to get MP40’s and put them on the back like you

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Susan, meant Adaptive Reef. My brain isn’t working today.
My cabinet did come with the bars to prevent sagging. Glad I don’t have to worry about that.
Do you have substrate in your tank? I’m going to be putting in a DSB so my power head placement is going to have to be finessed a bit. It may make more sense to get MP40’s and put them on the back like you
Ah, makes sense. Lucky you can get away with just 1 lol's. I will fill 2! Also glad you have the bars. It is a beast of a tank. Yes, I have a 2 inch sand bed. 1" in places and deeper in others thanks to my diamond goby lol's. I would think if you put the mp's on the back wall, 2 40's would do it. I have them about 8" down from top
20220104_170252.jpg

OP
OP
Mi_seriousbluereef

Mi_seriousbluereef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting close to being done with my rock work. I need to cover a few more seams and then rinse everything off. Hoping to cover the seams tonight and rinse the rocks of tomorrow night. Then I will start rinsing the sand.
trying to use the rule of thirds for my rock placement. I’m wondering if I’ll still like this placement once all of the sand is in. 6C0E762C-1824-4B4B-BE23-5C3EAAE4CC1C.jpeg

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! My only comment is you have vertical towers basically. Vertical walls. For coral placement a more terraced or sloping design with areas for corals will allow better coral placement. Think where you will be putting the types of corals you want to add. So not just the tops of your towers but the base and sides. Eventually with corals filled, you won't see the rock work anyway. Do you have enough crevices or caves for your fish? Are you using live sand? If yes, you don't rinse that.

OP
OP
Mi_seriousbluereef

Mi_seriousbluereef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! My only comment is you have vertical towers basically. Vertical walls. For coral placement a more terraced or sloping design with areas for corals will allow better coral placement. Think where you will be putting the types of corals you want to add. So not just the tops of your towers but the base and sides. Eventually with corals filled, you won't see the rock work anyway. Do you have enough crevices or caves for your fish? Are you using live sand? If yes, you don't rinse that.
Thanks Susan. I think you are 100% correct. I’ll be re-evaluating.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Susan. I think you are 100% correct. I’ll be re-evaluating.
Saw your post on FB. Glad you are here. Much better advice here overall! Saw someone yesterday giving absolutely wrong advice and wrong belief! Couldn't believe it.

OP
OP
Mi_seriousbluereef

Mi_seriousbluereef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added some LED lights to the sump. Also just installed a Tunze Ozmolator. Have some cable management to attend to when I get a chance.
4F67B04C-7BAF-46C4-862D-17D50E7C9B68.jpeg
B22C34B9-4C12-431E-9832-11AAD9D80811.jpeg

pghreeferteam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting close to being done with my rock work. I need to cover a few more seams and then rinse everything off. Hoping to cover the seams tonight and rinse the rocks of tomorrow night. Then I will start rinsing the sand.
trying to use the rule of thirds for my rock placement. I’m wondering if I’ll still like this placement once all of the sand is in. 6C0E762C-1824-4B4B-BE23-5C3EAAE4CC1C.jpeg
I am curious what you mean by "covering the seams"...thinking of the same tank. Following, thank you for taking the time

OP
OP
Mi_seriousbluereef

Mi_seriousbluereef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finished putting together my Red Sea screen top. It wasn’t horrible to put together. I feel it’s easiest to use the metric system when assembling.
CE6ABBA4-B7BE-4AE0-A0D0-1A64CB7BBA3C.jpeg

OP
OP
Mi_seriousbluereef

Mi_seriousbluereef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 75 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 74 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.2%
Back