Miami‘s Clam and SPS Tank

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of cats, I adopted Milo from a shelter yesterday. 15 years old and his person had to be placed in a nursing home. Kittens are cute but it breaks my heart when a senior that's been in a home all its life ends up in a cage :(. But he's mine now :)

Attachments

• PXL_20230325_224449474~2.jpg
    PXL_20230325_224449474~2.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 16

Kathy Floyd

ktfloyd01
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Speaking of cats, I adopted Milo from a shelter yesterday. 15 years old and his person had to be placed in a nursing home. Kittens are cute but it breaks my heart when a senior that's been in a home all its life ends up in a cage :(. But he's mine now :)
He is beautiful.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woah!!!!!! :star-struck: :star-struck: :star-struck: That hermit will bring all the boys to the yard!!
Haha. I almost tagged you for that picture. I knew you’d love it. It’s an Electric Blue Knuckle Hermit Crab.

I just got a big, beautiful cockatoo! :p

IMG_4813.jpeg

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha. I almost tagged you for that picture. I knew you’d love it. It’s an Electric Blue Knuckle Hermit Crab.

I just got a big, beautiful cockatoo! :p

IMG_4813.jpeg
I just love your cage set up! Like it so much lol

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He says “no cats in this house because cats eat fish and we are fish people”
I guess no humans in the house either lol.

Ps, my cat is allergic to fish. :)

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates: 6.5ppm
Phosphates: 0.15ppm

I’m not sure why the phosphates rose so high. I think it might be because I heavily stirred my sandbed after a while. A lot of crap and garbage came out. What’s funny was I installed my GFO reactor after testing my PO4 at 0.09ppm. It almost seemed like the GFO raised the phosphates lol.

The nitrates were dosed to around 6.5ppm. That was intentional since they were 0.8ppm last time I checked.

I would really wish I can find colorful acropora in super high nutrients. I think my biggest fear of high phosphates is brown acropora.

I have a brown/yellow acros (mariculture). Some parts are bright yellow and other parts are brown. I wish I can get it to look the way it did at the LFS.

I wish I knew what caused acropora to turn brown. I’m not happy with most of my acropora colors. They look brownish to me. :(

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a quick picture (took it last month)

IMG_4844.jpeg

These corals are a few months old, but they look grayish. There’s no actual color on them. I’m trying so hard to make my tank clean and perfect, but I’m not happy with the results at all. I’m pretty disappointed honestly.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it’s the temperature that’s the issue? I keep my temperature pretty warm (80F).

Could that be encouraging zoox to grow too much?

The controversial, age old question of what temperature is ideal for SPS coral. When researching Acropora Care, I found an article from Reef Buildersthat answers this question based on their coral farming experience. In their article, Reef Builders notes that they found Acropora to show the best coloration at a temperature between 73 and 74 degrees F. However, Reef Builders also notes that for the best Acropora growth, they keep temperatures between 77 and 79 degrees F.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it’s the temperature that’s the issue? I keep my temperature pretty warm (80F).

Could that be encouraging zoox to grow too much?

Yeah, 80 does seem high. Easy enough to slowly lower it to 78 and see what the results are over a month or so.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, 80 does seem high. Easy enough to slowly lower it to 78 and see what the results are over a month or so.
Thank you! I think this might actually be it! I’m almost positive, since everything else was spot on I think.

Plus, it’s well established that higher temps = higher metabolism.

This is a test! I am not saying higher temps cause browning!!!

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates: 6.5ppm
Phosphates: 0.15ppm

I’m not sure why the phosphates rose so high. I think it might be because I heavily stirred my sandbed after a while. A lot of crap and garbage came out. What’s funny was I installed my GFO reactor after testing my PO4 at 0.09ppm. It almost seemed like the GFO raised the phosphates lol.

The nitrates were dosed to around 6.5ppm. That was intentional since they were 0.8ppm last time I checked.

I would really wish I can find colorful acropora in super high nutrients. I think my biggest fear of high phosphates is brown acropora.

I have a brown/yellow acros (mariculture). Some parts are bright yellow and other parts are brown. I wish I can get it to look the way it did at the LFS.

I wish I knew what caused acropora to turn brown. I’m not happy with most of my acropora colors. They look brownish to me. :(
Sometimes acros turn brown from too low nutrients or not the right light spectrum, I think, not sure lol. Your temp might also be playing a factor like said above you are in 26.7.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back