OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes acros turn brown from too low nutrients or not the right light spectrum, I think, not sure lol. Your temp might also be playing a factor like said above you are in 26.7.
I know my spectrum and par are perfect. I use a combination of Blue+, Coral+, and True Actinic (T5 lighting). Par is 350-430.

Low nutrients causes browning? Apparently browning is excess zooxanthella. My nutrients weren’t too low (my Hannah HR nitrate kit is +/- 2ppm, and I feed well (ammonia is what corals care about). I know my nitrates weren’t too low despite the hobby grade kit saying it was.

The nitrates are always show higher with the Red Sea Nitrate kit (more accurate at lower levels).

I have a mixture of browns, but come to think of it, I think pale-brown is what I’m really dealing with. They basically look gray.

Not all acros look pale/brown; some look good, such as my Walt Disney, montipora, and green slimers…the easy corals. *face palm*

Ps, I’m not rejecting suggestions. I already raised my nutrients to try to limit all the variables. I know people say low nutrients cause bad colors.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know my spectrum and par are perfect. I use a combination of Blue+, Coral+, and True Actinic (T5 lighting). Par is 350-430.

Low nutrients causes browning? Apparently browning is excess zooxanthella. My nutrients weren’t too low (my Hannah HR nitrate kit is +/- 2ppm, and I feed well (ammonia is what corals care about). I know my nitrates weren’t too low despite the hobby grade kit saying it was.

It’s always higher with the Red Sea Nitrate kit (more accurate at lower levels).

I have a mixture of browns, but come to think of it, I think pale, brown is what I’m really dealing with. They basically look gray.

Not all acros look pale/brown; some look good, such as my Walt Disney, montipora, and green slimers…the easy corals. *face palm*
Sorry lol low nutrients causes greening, got that mixed up lol. I don’t know much about acros sorry lol, mostly just lps. Never found the RedSea nitrate kit accurate, so I’ve always used the Hanna one.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a quick picture (took it last month)

IMG_4844.jpeg

These corals are a few months old, but they look grayish. There’s no actual color on them. I’m trying so hard to make my tank clean and perfect, but I’m not happy with the results at all. I’m pretty disappointed honestly.
Are the polyps extending at night? If so, I would leave everything alone for now, but small drops in temperature won’t do any harm, if you trust the temperature reading you’re getting.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It almost seemed like the GFO raised the phosphates lol.
It can if you leave it in the tank after it's exhausted
I think my biggest fear of high phosphates is brown acropora
You realize that many corals are more drab in their natural environment, right? Forcing bright colors is not always best.

(Just a comment, not meant to criticize... I don't like drab coral in my tank either ;) )

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The nitrates are always show higher with the Red Sea Nitrate kit (more accurate at lower levels).

I have a mixture of browns, but come to think of it, I think pale-brown is what I’m really dealing with. They basically look gray.

Ps, I’m not rejecting suggestions. I already raised my nutrients to try to limit all the variables. I know people say low nutrients cause bad colors.
I was gunna throw out some suggestions but I don't know anything...

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the polyps extending at night? If so, I would leave everything alone for now, but small drops in temperature won’t do any harm, if you trust the temperature reading you’re getting.
Polyp extension is amazing. That’s the only good thing I get out of the acropora. Colors: meh.

But the PE is really good. I am going to lower the temps to around 78F. I trust the temperature readings a lot because I used 2 digital thermometer (not probes; not aquarium grade), and they were both around the same target. I calibrated my Apex to match it and it’s exactly as the thermometer.

It can if you leave it in the tank after it's exhausted

You realize that many corals are more drab in their natural environment, right? Forcing bright colors is not always best.

(Just a comment, not meant to criticize... I don't like drab coral in my tank either ;) )
I agree. I’m not looking to stress my corals. I keep higher than 0 nutrients. I used to think low nutrients would cure everything, but I saw no difference. It just gave me anxiety because I didn’t want to cause dinos, and I wanted my LPS corals to thrive as well.
I was gunna throw out some suggestions but I don't know anything...
Definitely give me your suggestions. I like your system and I think you have wisdom to offer. :)

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kangaroo!

I took Cheese in a harness to CVS for the first time; I needed shampoo and conditioner. A whole bunch of people were shocked (in a good way) that I had a bird on a leash. It was so funny.

I was telling Cheese in my head, “Please don’t fly. Please don’t fly.”

Luckily, he stayed out and made me seem like a much better trainer than I actually am.

My struggle with Cheese is that I can’t find a treat that makes him enthusiastic. He eats Harrison’s pellets for his main diet, which is fantastic for his health.

I tried offering spray millet, walnuts, pellets, and nutriberries, but he doesn’t seem very enthusiastic about any of them. He’ll eat the treats, but he doesn’t seem encouraged by them.

I need a good treat because I want to start clicker training him. I think millet might be his favorite so far, but he eats so tentatively. Can it be because he’s still so young?

@OrchidMiss What does Carrot enjoy the most for his treats? What does his main diet consist of?

IMG_4934.jpeg

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kangaroo!

I took Cheese in a harness to CVS for the first time; I needed shampoo and conditioner. A whole bunch of people were shocked (in a good way) that I had a bird on a leash. It was so funny.

Luckily, he stayed out and made me seem like a much better trainer than I actually am.

My struggle with Cheese is that I can’t find a treat that makes him enthusiastic. He eats Harrison’s pellets for his main diet, which is fantastic for his health.

I tried offering spray millet, walnuts, pellets, and nutriberries, but he doesn’t seem very enthusiastic about any of them. He’ll eat the treats, but he doesn’t seem encouraged by them.

I need a good treat because I want to start clicker training him. I think millet might be his favorite so far, but he eats so tentatively. Can it be because he’s still so young?

@OrchidMiss What does Carrot enjoy the most for his treats? What does his main diet consist of?

IMG_4934.jpeg
Man you seem to be loving Cheese a little too much…are those the first downy feathers you are growing? Getting ready to fly?

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kangaroo!

IMG_4934.jpeg
Does he have any interest in specific fruits? I treat my birds Strawberries, and Honey Dew Melon. Also make myself my own nutri berries, and they seem to like these much more than the regular store ones, they won’t touch those.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant believe I’ve missed a lot of this thread.
Anyway, enjoy some mandarin spam :)
7F529DA9-A603-4655-8F20-36EF3AB21AFA.jpeg
Your little sausage is a great splam addition. Mine is still doing well, although the girth isn’t as thick as yours.

Last edited:

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your little sausage is a great splam addition. Mine is still doing well, although the girth isn’t as thick as yours.

^ (My words above have a double meaning)
Hey mister… No one wants to hear about how you know about the Englishman’s little sausage! :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely need photos of yours!
Is yours a male or female?

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your little sausage is a great splam addition. Mine is still doing well, although the girth isn’t as thick as yours
I won’t make the joke…..I won’t make the joke…….

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back