Miami‘s Clam and SPS Tank

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today’s victim. I swear these corals/clams/snails go through hell with these urchins in a 20 gallon.
C1DAEA5F-31C3-40C3-87B1-75A873A8D0E6.jpeg
That's a fancy urchin lol

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My goal is to post weekly pictures of my display. It will be going through so many changes and I want to document them all so I can look back and be proud of my entire creations.

This week was very “traumatic” for me. Basically, my skimmer doesn’t fit because of a miscommunication issue with the manufacturer. I will let you know what the solution will be. Either we get a Regal 200 skimmer (which will still work good for my system), or we get a new sump built.

The new sump is going to cost $500 solely for delivery and uninstalling the old one. They apparently aren’t charging me for any of the glass of materials - just for delivery. They said if I can drop off the old sump and pick up and install the new one myself it will be free. Wait time is about 4-5 weeks.

The regal 200 skimmer costs a little over $700.

Since this was mainly a mistake on their end, they should be responsible to pay for it, but they aren’t completely admitting it that it was.

So once they talk it over with the team they will let me know what they decide…

Until then, here’s today’s update picture and video. Yes, the rocks are starting to turn brown, and it appears the tank is cloudier today since my UV is turned off (my entire sump and return is off because the manufacturers tried to fix the skimmer issue yesterday but couldn’t.)

I cannot turn the sump on yet because I don’t want them to tell me they need the sump dried for uninstalling/repairing it. It was a pain to completely dry it the past 2 days. :worried-face:

So. I wanted to be open because having a new tank (even when you spend money to have it custom built) sometimes doesn’t go perfectly. I am struggling and I have been feeling really sad and anxious lately. I need better coping skills for sure. This has not been easy on me if I’m being completely transparent.

93B77790-5BA3-497C-A165-7A39AF0741C1.jpeg

the sump fiasco is really unfortunate. I don't think the company is handling it they way it should be, and in your other thread I told you, "you need to stand up for yourself". I will admit that it is easier for my to give that advice than to embrace it, if I were in your situation. I suffer from people pleasing social anxiety. I spend so much energy over analyzing conversations I have had with people, wondering if I worded something in way that was received different than how I intended. I also avoid confrontation like it is a plague, and find my "standing up for myself" comes across way more apologetic than it needs to be. I think the big take away from this would be to just hold on to your final payment until you are satisfied with the work that has been completed. You cant go back in time, so just take it for what it is and move forward in a way that makes you feel comfortable. I hope you have a great day and don't let that situation cloud the excitement of your tank. Sending virtual hug :)
Heart Love GIF by The Kelly Clarkson Show

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the sump fiasco is really unfortunate. I don't think the company is handling it they way it should be, and in your other thread I told you, "you need to stand up for yourself". I will admit that it is easier for my to give that advice than to embrace it, if I were in your situation. I suffer from people pleasing social anxiety. I spend so much energy over analyzing conversations I have had with people, wondering if I worded something in way that was received different than how I intended. I also avoid confrontation like it is a plague, and find my "standing up for myself" comes across way more apologetic than it needs to be. I think the big take away from this would be to just hold on to your final payment until you are satisfied with the work that has been completed. You cant go back in time, so just take it for what it is and move forward in a way that makes you feel comfortable. I hope you have a great day and don't let that situation cloud the excitement of your tank. Sending virtual hug :)
Heart Love GIF by The Kelly Clarkson Show
Thank you very much! I also have social anxiety.

I stood up for myself (like you told me to). It wasn’t easy and they seem to want to put up the “fight” instead of bending their heads down.

They will let me know what they decide, but I don’t “care” what they say because I have the upper hand. They didn’t measure the physical skimmer and they didn’t send me the dimensions of the sump before proceeding to build it. I did approve the drawing for the sump. But yeah.

I think the best option is for them to just buy me the correct skimmer and I’ll even give them my current one if they want it.

I think that will be easier and cheaper for them. If they want to build me a new sump, I am fine with that as well so long as they don’t charge me for it since they will take my current sump back (and most likely resell it).

I just wish they will keep me in the loop today as they said they would. I am honestly just spending more time with my corals in the QT. It’s my current happy place. The main tank is just giving me anxious thoughts haha.

I want to look back at this moment and be proud of myself for persisting and staying resilient. That will make the outcome even sweeter. I think it’s the struggles that really make the hobby worthwhile.

For example, I wouldn’t feel satisfied if I had a dream fully stocked tank overnight in my house that someone else built and maintained. The best part is when I put my “blood, sweat, and tears” and got the outcome through the tougher times.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today’s victim. I swear these corals/clams/snails go through hell with these urchins in a 20 gallon.
C1DAEA5F-31C3-40C3-87B1-75A873A8D0E6.jpeg
That deresa is beautiful, what else have they picked up and taken round the tank?
I swear, in my 4' tank, nothing can grow unless its stuck down or a large colony because the urchins will take it into caves, up out of water and then ditch it near the mini maxi anemone or a stinging coral such as the torch.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That deresa is beautiful, what else have they picked up and taken round the tank?
I swear, in my 4' tank, nothing can grow unless its stuck down or a large colony because the urchins will take it into caves, up out of water and then ditch it near the mini maxi anemone or a stinging coral such as the torch.
Anything and everything. Frags, sand, activated carbon media bags, clams, snails, and a fighting conch.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yayayay! Glad you were able to use your dream skimmer.
We Did It Win GIF by HBO Max
You’re not gonna believe what mistake I made. The part I circled in red was what I tried connecting to but it was not correct and it made the pump much higher which didn’t fit under the glass panel.

It took me a week to realize this.
3FD958F7-60A1-4E32-B0C2-9CAF6B818FF4.jpeg

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re not gonna believe what mistake I made. The part I circled in red was what I tried connecting to but it was not correct and it made the pump much higher which didn’t fit under the glass panel.

It took me a week to realize this.
3FD958F7-60A1-4E32-B0C2-9CAF6B818FF4.jpeg
Hey, as long as it has the happy ending ….;)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I installed my Tunze Osmolator ATO! It looks like it’s going to be awesome!

Update tank shot!

D069C71A-02C4-4133-AC34-FEC6071A5426.jpeg
A481E2A8-2A05-40B4-BD0E-703E3DE426F4.jpeg
5FE4C415-5A0C-4221-BE01-502058FADB79.jpeg
The fish all look great, is that a WC yellow? Also I see the Olivasceus is looking like he’s going to mature!

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish all look great, is that a WC yellow? Also I see the Olivasceus is looking like he’s going to mature!
Yep, the yellow tang is from Hawaii. Here’s my orange shoulder from a few months ago.

0A55C2F4-F16F-40E9-8683-64DDFE3796FE.jpeg

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatoms left extremely quickly. Now I just have mild film algae which you can’t tell because I scraped it off a few days ago.

The tank is doing phenomenal. I removed the durso because it was a noisy pain to deal with. Now I have 1 full siphon and 2 emergencies which is all I need.

About the cabinetry, I’m considering leaving the top part (where the T5’s are) fully open the way it is now. I love how the tank looks like a rectangle instead of a 2D screen.

I will obviously cover the sump area, but I’m just loving the way the tank looks all open. Not only does it look good, but it’s SOOO easy to maintain. I don’t want to deal with door panels that block my way. I think this is awesome.

A89FA334-BA9E-45A5-AE98-19302C30CE85.jpeg

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatoms left extremely quickly. Now I just have mild film algae which you can’t tell because I scraped it off a few days ago.

The tank is doing phenomenal. I removed the durso because it was a noisy pain to deal with. Now I have 1 full siphon and 2 emergencies which is all I need.

About the cabinetry, I’m considering leaving the top part (where the T5’s are) fully open the way it is now. I love how the tank looks like a rectangle instead of a 2D screen.

I will obviously cover the sump area, but I’m just loving the way the tank looks all open. Not only does it look good, but it’s SOOO easy to maintain. I don’t want to deal with door panels that block my way. I think this is awesome.

A89FA334-BA9E-45A5-AE98-19302C30CE85.jpeg
I’d hang your light so it is t crooked if you are going to leave that open though :winking-face: :winking-face-with-tongue:

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d hang your light so it is t crooked if you are going to leave that open though :winking-face: :winking-face-with-tongue:
Can you believe I thought nobody would notice? I was going to say something like “ignore the crooked lights” :grinning-face-with-sweat:

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is looking like it’s coming along great!! Hopefully you are feeling less stressed about the process at this point :smiling-face::cool:
Definitely! I’m relishing in the joy. I even bought acros.

Remember back a few posts ago I wanted to get these 2 acros from tidal gardens? Well, I made a WTB (wanting to buy) thread and @joseserrano pm’d with excellent prices of milleporas and tenuis!

I got an awesome deal for healthy happy frags and I will definitely continue to purchase from him.

The white plugs on the right were all for him. I paid the same price as I would have for only 2 from tidal gardens. Crazy!

image.jpg
image.jpg

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely! I’m relishing in the joy. I even bought acros.

Remember back a few posts ago I wanted to get these 2 acros from tidal gardens? Well, I made a WTB (wanting to buy) thread and @joseserrano pm’d with excellent prices of milleporas and tenuis!

I got an awesome deal for healthy happy frags and I will definitely continue to purchase from him.

The white plugs on the right were all for him. I paid the same price as I would have for only 2 from tidal gardens. Crazy!

image.jpg
image.jpg
Nice!!!! You are very lucky to live in Florida. Lots of reefing going on there and buying from other hobbyists is win win. Your corals looks great! I’m such an invert nerd, quick glance at the corals and then I I was searching for your urchin to see it was up to. Lol did you move it to the big tank?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back