OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice!!!! You are very lucky to live in Florida. Lots of reefing going on there and buying from other hobbyists is win win. Your corals looks great! I’m such an invert nerd, quick glance at the corals and then I I was searching for your urchin to see it was up to. Lol did you move it to the big tank?
Yes. They were moved over!

I am actually thinking of some cool inverts for my tank.

I purchased 3 pieces of KP rocks and they had a little bit of bubble algae. Now my little 20 gallon QT has a bunch of them, especially on the clams.

I already have 1 emerald crab that I got from the LFS, but it doesn’t seem to be eating them. I know reef cleaners sells emerald crabs with a guarantee that they will consume bubble algae. They are so confident that they will issue a 100% refund if they don’t consume the bubble algae.

That’s wild. I am going to buy a few. I have a foxface in the main display that should consume bubble algae as well, so I’m not worried.

What are you favorite inverts? I think mine are tuxedo urchins and starfish.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I purchased 3 pieces of KP rocks and they had a little bit of bubble algae. Now my little 20 gallon QT has a bunch of them, especially on the clams.

I already have 1 emerald crab that I got from the LFS, but it doesn’t seem to be eating them. I know reef cleaners sells emerald crabs with a guarantee that they will consume bubble algae. They are so confident that they will issue a 100% refund if they don’t consume the bubble algae.

That’s wild. I am going to buy a few. I have a foxface in the main display that should consume bubble algae as well, so I’m not worried.

Oh man.. that’s like someone asking me what is my favorite kind of chip. :thinking-face:

Answer: each one has its awesome attributes and I haven’t met a chip I don’t like. :cool: :squinting-face-with-tongue:

I feel the same way about inverts!

At the top of this list would have to be crabs. All crabs……emerald, Pom Pom, decorator, hermit, and even crabs that are deemed “sump crabs” I think I just really like their grumpy faces and fun personality. Me and crabs have that in common, my RBF is strong. :expressionless-face:
:rolling-on-the-floor-laughing::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
Clams are really cool. I don’t have the set up or the confidence yet to attempt fancy claims, but I did just start reading about cleaner claims and I’m pretty excited about those.

Shrimp! I love my cleaner shrimp and pistol. Both of them crack me up with their insane strong work ethic. I admit, my pistol does get on my nerves at times with his constant rearranging of my sand bed. But then he builds a beautiful shell arch entrance and I go back to being amazed by him. I’ve also considered adding some sexy shrimp once I get the Rock flowers because I find them beautiful.

I really love urchins. The only reason I haven’t pulled the trigger on one, is the reputation about eating coralline algae. One of the things my husband is excited about is seeing our rocks covered in purple. There isn’t a bunch of things about the hobby that he expresses his input on. So when he does, I try to listen. :smiling-face-with-halo::winking-face: For now, I just live vicariously through others.

I think starfish are amazingly beautiful. They intimidate me though. I’ve heard they are hard to keep fed and often end up starving….. has that been your experience?

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Oh man.. that’s like someone asking me what is my favorite kind of chip. :thinking-face:

Answer: each one has its awesome attributes and I haven’t met a chip I don’t like. :cool: :squinting-face-with-tongue:

I feel the same way about inverts!

At the top of this list would have to be crabs. All crabs……emerald, Pom Pom, decorator, hermit, and even crabs that are deemed “sump crabs” I think I just really like their grumpy faces and fun personality. Me and crabs have that in common, my RBF is strong. :expressionless-face:
:rolling-on-the-floor-laughing::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
Clams are really cool. I don’t have the set up or the confidence yet to attempt fancy claims, but I did just start reading about cleaner claims and I’m pretty excited about those.

Shrimp! I love my cleaner shrimp and pistol. Both of them crack me up with their insane strong work ethic. I admit, my pistol does get on my nerves at times with his constant rearranging of my sand bed. But then he builds a beautiful shell arch entrance and I go back to being amazed by him. I’ve also considered adding some sexy shrimp once I get the Rock flowers because I find them beautiful.

I really love urchins. The only reason I haven’t pulled the trigger on one, is the reputation about eating coralline algae. One of the things my husband is excited about is seeing our rocks covered in purple. There isn’t a bunch of things about the hobby that he expresses his input on. So when he does, I try to listen. :smiling-face-with-halo::winking-face: For now, I just live vicariously through others.

I think starfish are amazingly beautiful. They intimidate me though. I’ve heard they are hard to keep fed and often end up starving….. has that been your experience?
have you read:
20150730_113915-e1438409299135.jpg

hehe

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can you believe I thought nobody would notice? I was going to say something like “ignore the crooked lights” :grinning-face-with-sweat:
Everyone notices. It's just we all believe you are going to fix it.
Definitely! I’m relishing in the joy. I even bought acros.

Remember back a few posts ago I wanted to get these 2 acros from tidal gardens? Well, I made a WTB (wanting to buy) thread and @joseserrano pm’d with excellent prices of milleporas and tenuis!

I got an awesome deal for healthy happy frags and I will definitely continue to purchase from him.

The white plugs on the right were all for him. I paid the same price as I would have for only 2 from tidal gardens. Crazy!

image.jpg
image.jpg
I am loving your frag choices! Along with that lobo in the right corner

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am loving your frag choices! Along with that lobo in the right corner
Thank you! They looked even better before they were shipped (which is completely normal). I’m definitely stoked about them!

0586382C-79B5-44EE-8D12-E99C152D1204.jpeg

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have much experience with starfish. I do think they are cool looking though.

I do have experience with Electric blue hermits and Halloween hermits. They are my favorite crabs.

I have a love/hate relationship with shrimp. They look cool once in the tank, but I have Katsaridaphobia (aka fear of roaches). Cleaner shrimps give me the jitters and I refuse to touch them or let them touch me. I will not physically touch their molted skeletons either. The legs really creep me out. lol

One time I added a tiger pistol shrimp. Man, you would have laughed if you saw me try to put that thing in the tank. lol

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I don’t have much experience with starfish. I do think they are cool looking though.

I do have experience with Electric blue hermits and Halloween hermits. They are my favorite crabs.

I have a love/hate relationship with shrimp. They look cool once in the tank, but I have Katsaridaphobia (aka fear of roaches). Cleaner shrimps give me the jitters and I refuse to touch them or let them touch me. I will not physically touch their molted skeletons either. The legs really creep me out. lol

One time I added a tiger pistol shrimp. Man, you would have laughed if you saw me try to put that thing in the tank. lol
hehe. the Cleaner shrimp are funky too because they're not scared; they'll just swim over and hop on and start picking through your arm hair. I nearly fell off my stool the other day when my cleaner shrimp saw a tasty morsal on my arm and just cozied right on up. I wasn't expecting him.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hehe. the Cleaner shrimp are funky too because they're not scared; they'll just swim over and hop on and start picking through your arm hair. I nearly fell off my stool the other day when my cleaner shrimp saw a tasty morsal on my arm and just cozied right on up. I wasn't expecting him.
lol.

I have some cool updates that @rmorris_14 will enjoy.

Today I added my fighting conch to the display from QT! It’s so interesting and funny!

In the next 2 weeks I’m going to place an order of blue nuckle hermits and PITHO crabs (they will devour the bubble algae that the KP rocks brought). Definitely also getting some film and algae inverts as well.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mine has to be the Pom Pom Crab, Lybia spp.
I also love quite a few shrimp - I have 2 cleaners and a boxer in my 4’ tank, the boxer is a golden dwarf (Stenopus scuttelatus) and has managed to escape the Jade for a good 2 months now. I’d love a cave shrimp (Stenopus pyrsonotus) but man I have no good place to keep one (I assume Atleast as I assume it’ll eat .75 inch fish and Will be eaten by a jade wrasse).

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol.

Today I added my fighting conch to the display from QT! It’s so interesting and funny!

In the next 2 weeks I’m going to place an order of blue nuckle hermits and PITHO crabs (they will devour the bubble algae that the KP rocks brought). Definitely also getting some film and algae inverts as well.
That sounds like a great start.
I have to agree that conches are hilarious to watch, I love watching mine travel around the tank on a day to day basis.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol.

The eyes on the fighting conch are carazy. They look human.
where are you going to order the blue knuckles from?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just had to look up the blue knuckle crabs and they look beautiful. Nothing like the electric blue hermits. Kind of reminds me of if a Neon Velvet damsel was a crab.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back