Miami‘s Clam and SPS Tank

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a sea hare today. Totally unexpected to see one at the LFS and I couldn’t resist, but I have been on a waiting list with Live Aquaria so it was not an impulse buy. :D
679A774B-53D7-48E8-B902-CDF2A1DC6749.jpeg
For a second I thought that was a Bristleworm in the centre of the LR and didn’t realise the seahare was at the bottom, nearly said that’s not a sea hare haha.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a tip from a reefer: Embrace the ugly. :)

I am under staffed in the clean up crew department. The only reason why is because they were busy in QT.

I actually just brought in 18 trochus snails and my sea hare (a simple rinse is sufficient for quarantining a sea hare since they most likely cannot host tomonts) 2 days ago to the main tank and they are doing a phenomenal job, but they are under staffed.

I know quarantining 18 snails at once is pretty lame, but I had to start somewhere, and I couldn’t add more in the middle of the QT period or else I’d have to restart the clock all over again, and I needed any snail I could get my hands on for the big tank.

As soon as I transferred these trochus snails over, I purchased 80 astrea snails and they are in my QT. 80 snails is a lot even though it doesn’t look it in the picture.
image.jpg

Here’s my QT. I am expecting in 6 weeks from now to put some testers in the display.
CB99443A-628A-4B80-A239-143BD355E686.jpeg

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a tip from a reefer: Embrace the ugly. :)

I am under staffed in the clean up crew department. The only reason why is because they were busy in QT.

I actually just brought in 18 trochus snails and my sea hare (a simple rinse is sufficient for quarantining a sea hare since they most likely cannot host tomonts) 2 days ago to the main tank and they are doing a phenomenal job, but they are under staffed.

I know quarantining 18 snails at once is pretty lame, but I had to start somewhere, and I couldn’t add more in the middle of the QT period or else I’d have to restart the clock all over again, and I needed any snail I could get my hands on for the big tank.

As soon as I transferred these trochus snails over, I purchased 80 astrea snails and they are in my QT. 80 snails is a lot even though it doesn’t look it in the picture.
image.jpg

Here’s my QT. I am expecting in 6 weeks from now to put some testers in the display.
CB99443A-628A-4B80-A239-143BD355E686.jpeg
I read some responses from humblefish about the invert Quarantine adding new things timeline. They appear to suggest that if you add new inverts or coral to the invert/coral quarantine, that you do not need to restart the clock on the inverts or corals you added previously. Here are some screen shots

Screen Shot 2022-05-04 at 9.58.54 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-04 at 10.00.15 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-04 at 10.03.29 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-04 at 10.44.59 AM.png

I HOWEVER, am way to nervous and risk adverse to chance a free swimmer not getting rinsed off. BUT I thought I would throw this information at you in case it changes your opinion about waiting to add new things to the fishless quarantine.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-04 at 9.58.28 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-04 at 9.58.28 AM.png
    206.4 KB · Views: 33

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I read some responses from humblefish about the invert Quarantine adding new things timeline. They appear to suggest that if you add new inverts or coral to the invert/coral quarantine, that you do not need to restart the clock on the inverts or corals you added previously. Here are some screen shots

Screen Shot 2022-05-04 at 9.58.54 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-04 at 10.00.15 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-04 at 10.03.29 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-04 at 10.44.59 AM.png

I HOWEVER, am way to nervous and risk adverse to chance a free swimmer not getting rinsed off. BUT I thought I would throw this information at you in case it changes your opinion about waiting to add new things to the fishless quarantine.
lol don't make it easy for me! I so too want to move my inverts and corals into DT. Dont know why I dont trust all the vendors who said they were in fishless systems.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol don't make it easy for me! I so too want to move my inverts and corals into DT. Dont know why I dont trust all the vendors who said they were in fishless systems.
hahaha me neither! The guy I bought my inverts from told me the chances are so low. He looked at me and said "please, just add them to the DT". Also, that I "would end up killing more inverts in my new QT, than the risk was worth". He is a nice guy and I believe him that the risk is quite low, but it's not something I wanted to debate. I just smiled and said ok :) Im pretty sure my smile let him know I was going to do what I wanted and not risk it, so he dropped it. :face-savoring-food:

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
hahaha me neither! The guy I bought my inverts from told me the chances are so low. He looked at me and said "please, just add them to the DT". Also, that I "would end up killing more inverts in my new QT, than the risk was worth". He is a nice guy and I believe him that the risk is quite low, but it's not something I wanted to debate. I just smiled and said ok :) Im pretty sure my smile let him know I was going to do what I wanted and not risk it, so he dropped it. :face-savoring-food:
lol... I get that look a lot from my kids...

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I HOWEVER, am way to nervous and risk adverse to chance a free swimmer not getting rinsed off.
This is exactly why I don’t add more as well. :)

I feel like water can get into the snail shells so free swimmers can make it through? I failed ich eradication one time without clear understanding of how, so that’s why I’m extra careful now. :)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is exactly why I don’t add more as well. :)

I feel like water can get into the snail shells so free swimmers can make it through? I failed ich eradication one time without clear understanding of how, so that’s why I’m extra careful now. :)
Have you ever caught any pests on the coral/inverts?

I'd love a coral QT just so I could see any of the interesting life that can appear on coral frags.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever caught any pests on the coral/inverts?

I'd love a coral QT just so I could see any of the interesting life that can appear on coral frags.
You mean coral parasites? I dip everything but I never found any flatworms/red bugs yet. I did manage to completely eradicate aiptasia though.

My main purpose of quarantining my corals/inverts is for the fish parasites. The coral pests are also a large bonus, but I never dealt with coral pests before so it doesn’t hit close to home for me.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean coral parasites? I dip everything but I never found any flatworms/red bugs yet. I did manage to completely eradicate aiptasia though.

My main purpose of quarantining my corals/inverts is for the fish parasites. The coral pests are also a large bonus, but I never dealt with coral pests before so it doesn’t hit close to home for me.
yeah, I did mean coral pests, but I mean if any made it past QT if i remember correctly you have a wrasse (Halichoeres hortulanus) that will deal with the rest.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, I did mean coral pests, but I mean if any made it past QT if i remember correctly you have a wrasse (Halichoeres hortulanus) that will deal with the rest.
I have a Halichoeres melanurus which also can eat remaining parasites, right?

I did have the Halichoeres hortulanus and I loved that fish, but I posted a thread in Humblefish’s forum about my stocking list and experienced fish people said that they highly recommend rehoming it because it would be very aggressive to other wrasses as an adult.

So I had to rehome it. :(

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Halichoeres melanurus which also can eat remaining parasites, right?

I did have the Halichoeres hortulanus and I loved that fish, but I posted a thread in Humblefish’s forum about my stocking list and experienced fish people said that they highly recommend rehoming it because it would be very aggressive to other wrasses as an adult.

So I had to rehome it. :(
That’s a shame as if I recall it was a beautiful specimen!
Melanurus will do just as good of a job (IMHO, nothing beats the larger wrasses though).

Hope the hortulanus is having a great life though as he had a good one with your care. The melanurus is a nice wrasse too but some can be more aggressive than others.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a shame as if I recall it was a beautiful specimen!
Melanurus will do just as good of a job (IMHO, nothing beats the larger wrasses though).

Hope the hortulanus is having a great life though as he had a good one with your care. The melanurus is a nice wrasse too but some can be more aggressive than others.
Thank you. How do you have so much experience with fish? It’s so cool plus how do you remember all the scientific names? I’m very impressed.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. How do you have so much experience with fish? It’s so cool plus how do you remember all the scientific names? I’m very impressed.
I have worked in several LFSs and whenever I have spare time I will continue to research. Plus, over here we have to go by scientific names haha, have you seen some of the weird and wonderful common names we get?
I also get some of my experience from owning 50-60+ fish in the past. Books are also extremely helpful!

Just began to get into the scientific names of acropora and SPS.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have worked in several LFSs and whenever I have spare time I will continue to research. Plus, over here we have to go by scientific names haha, have you seen some of the weird and wonderful common names we get?
I also get some of my experience from owning 50-60+ fish in the past. Books are also extremely helpful!

Just began to get into the scientific names of acropora and SPS.
oh gosh… I had trouble keeping up with the scientific fish names… now your going to talk coral too!?!! I will be so lost.:upside-down-face::grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh gosh… I had trouble keeping up with the scientific fish names… now your going to talk coral too!?!! I will be so lost.:upside-down-face::grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:
I actually dont know how I haven’t ever gotten lost with fish names, I guess it’s just from righting them down several times then pronouncing them then just memorising them.

The coral names… Im already lost! And I’ve only begun with acropora!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back