Miami‘s Clam and SPS Tank

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a queen angel eat a big hole out of the middle of one of my large maximas in a completely healed over several months.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a queen angel eat a big hole out of the middle of one of my large maximas in a completely healed over several months.
They really do heal quickly, it’s surprising how clams can be more difficult than SPS yet they seem to thrive and end up being the easiest animals once they get the perfect lighting conditions.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m feeling a bit clammy today!
IMG_8318.jpeg

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They really do heal quickly, it’s surprising how clams can be more difficult than SPS yet they seem to thrive and end up being the easiest animals once they get the perfect lighting conditions.

They’re much more complex organisms than coral, which actually should make them easier to keep. I certainly think they’re easier to keep than coral. They just tend to be underlit like you said, resulting in “mysterious clam deaths”. The only other difficult to detect reason for death is that they can carry a type of virus they can lay dormant for years.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re much more complex organisms than coral, which actually should make them easier to keep. I certainly think they’re easier to keep than coral. They just tend to be underlit like you said, resulting in “mysterious clam deaths”. The only other difficult to detect reason for death is that they can carry a type of virus they can lay dormant for years.
Also PMD can be quite hard to detect when it’s a minor case. I was lucky I caught that case of PMD on my main maxima rather early as it was curable. On the other hand, I only noticed PMD was what killed my Deresa after it passed as I was looking at older photos of him vs some of the last photos I got.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This Maxima looks stunning!
IMG_8331.jpeg

Now I’m torn… will my next clam be green or do I hold out for a few stripes.
I also love the ones that are almost like lightning in their mantles with the dark blue, almost black but then the bright colours in the centre.
Who would’ve thought, I didn’t just get a green clam, I got a stripey green clam!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New acanthophyllia alert! It’s the orange one.

Looks like someone is nicking the orange.

IMG_7861.jpeg
That guy is truly fluorescent!
Got any Scolys or do you focus mainly on Acanthos, Trachys (and maybe Welsos)?

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That guy is truly fluorescent!
Got any Scolys or do you focus mainly on Acanthos, Trachys (and maybe Welsos)?
I have a scoly. It’s a super easy coral and looks good. It never caused me stress. :)

Took this photo right now with my iPhone camera flash

IMG_7870.jpeg

Older photo from 2 months ago, but the same scoly is there. This is what it really looks like.

IMG_6983.jpeg

I have a mantis shrimp in my tank. I’ve always known it was in the tank, but I never cared about removing it. I put a bottle trap tonight because I would like to catch it now before it gets bigger.

I caught one last year with the same bottle trap. The KP rocks I added last year brought them in.

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also PMD can be quite hard to detect when it’s a minor case. I was lucky I caught that case of PMD on my main maxima rather early as it was curable. On the other hand, I only noticed PMD was what killed my Deresa after it passed as I was looking at older photos of him vs some of the last photos I got.
Yep but PMD is so easily cured. I still think corals are much more difficult than clams. I can’t count the number of times I’ve had to dip, treat, frag, etc corals. In my 30 years of marine systems I’ve had PMD once and pyramid snails twice, and the only clam deaths were preventable (the snails or them getting overgrown in my sump) and happened because I was staying at one of my other residences for an extended period of time. Meanwhile I’ve had too many coral and anemones die over the decades than I want to remember :(

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a scoly. It’s a super easy coral and looks good. It never caused me stress. :)

Took this photo right now with my iPhone camera flash

IMG_7870.jpeg

Older photo from 2 months ago, but the same scoly is there. This is what it really looks like.

IMG_6983.jpeg

I have a mantis shrimp in my tank. I’ve always known it was in the tank, but I never cared about removing it. I put a bottle trap tonight because I would like to catch it now before it gets bigger.

I caught one last year with the same bottle trap. The KP rocks I added last year brought them in.
Good luck! I caught a Eunice worm (Surprisingly it wasn’t a true Bobbit) with a bottle trap, that guy is now living in my 4’ tank’s sump as they are good CUC.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheese is doing great!

IMG_7924.jpeg
IMG_7926.jpeg
IMG_7928.jpeg
He’s beautiful! The blue in his tail and wings is gorgeous (Now I see why most of my fish are blue and yellow… it’s just too nice to ignore).

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 80 87.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back