OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, that was about 30 hours of work over the weekend but the tank is finally up and running!

We ended up removing all of the panels from the stand to safely get it inside.
2E276B77-6966-4396-BFF9-B0E7D654EA78.jpeg

Drilled some holes for the plumbing. Gluing that was a real ******* of a job.
DB37A760-E41B-4DB3-96B4-051C09CE9352.jpeg

F9E6DD03-54A5-4F82-8E27-BEE824C7FC08.jpeg

It was really convenient that the tanks were next to one another. Super easy to just pump over the water. With the reefer gone I can finally start working on that part of the room.
8ACEC78E-9AF9-4948-B54B-578A565FBD92.jpeg

Lending a helpful paw
5E0D1D10-B189-4844-972F-56C8565D4ACA.jpeg

It’s only out of the water that you realize how large some of the colonies are
A5D57664-A3F1-4BD8-B1E5-E758AA6EB1CC.jpeg

And this is the new tank
52028B1A-DD84-4F68-A24A-E0BBFF44B5D6.jpeg

0B98B499-BECB-4FC2-9A92-03AEFFFCB201.jpeg

Look at that ray of sunshine on the strawberry shortcake haha
4CBE0EFE-5AA7-49A4-A500-E63502AA21B8.jpeg

I still have a couple of things that needs doing, like setting up the automated water changes etc but I'm fairly pleased with the progress over the weekend....and I'm very happy I managed to “finish” this project before our daughter arrives in about 7 weeks.

Last edited:

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations on the tank move, but even more on the soon arrival of your daughter. That is wonderful news.

Can I ask you how big your sump is and how much space you would minimum need in the fish room behind the tank? You will have all arrangements (sump, rodi, mixing station, sink,..) in that room?

I like how the scape turned out and it shows how much bigger this tank is compared with the 350.

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations on the tank move, but even more on the soon arrival of your daughter. That is wonderful news.

Can I ask you how big your sump is and how much space you would minimum need in the fish room behind the tank? You will have all arrangements (sump, rodi, mixing station, sink,..) in that room?

I like how the scape turned out and it shows how much bigger this tank is compared with the 350.
Thank you, it’s exiting and terrifying at the same time.

The sump itself is 100x40x50. I went with some extra height in case of tank/uv etc would drain back in to the sump.
Yeah, I’m aiming to keep everything reef-related in that room, although I haven’t gotten to installing the sink and contacting a plumber just yet. I have some other projects running simultaneously that’s eating up both time and money :D
The room itself is about 9m2+ but it’s not 100% dedicated to reefing. We’ve got a couple of extra freezers down there as well as some shelves for storing miscellaneous crap.
I think that I could could make due with about 4m2 if I could use every single inch as a fish room.

How’s your move coming along?

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a nice sump size. Practical enough to have all equipment nicely in one place.

We have moved to Poland now and will be here for about 5 month more. After that we go to a new location, still to be determined.
Slowly we are preparing to head back to Belgium in a couple of years and now looking to get a house built... with a fish room.
I also believe that with a 2x2 room, this would be more then enough.
I have to tke this in account when discussing the plans later.

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a nice sump size. Practical enough to have all equipment nicely in one place.

We have moved to Poland now and will be here for about 5 month more. After that we go to a new location, still to be determined.
Slowly we are preparing to head back to Belgium in a couple of years and now looking to get a house built... with a fish room.
I also believe that with a 2x2 room, this would be more then enough.
I have to tke this in account when discussing the plans later.

Awesome. You definitely need a fish room.
I didn’t tell my wife when we were looking at houses but that was a definitive consideration that I had hehe.

If you’re working on a long timeframe I would definitely recommend Akwarium Szczecin as a tank builder, the wait time is insane but outstanding quality. Makes my old Red Sea tank look like hot garbage in comparison.
I also think that they can build the tank on site if you want.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. You definitely need a fish room.
I didn’t tell my wife when we were looking at houses but that was a definitive consideration that I had hehe.

If you’re working on a long timeframe I would definitely recommend Akwarium Szczecin as a tank builder, the wait time is insane but outstanding quality. Makes my old Red Sea tank look like hot garbage in comparison.
I also think that they can build the tank on site if you want.

Not really longterm at the moment.
Before leaving UAE, I had the tank and cabinet made and have moved this to home already, waiting for a house.
I wanted to go fresh water, but reefing is crying harder....
Luckily I can go both ways with this tank.

20200107_230729.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sheesh already looks great!

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sheesh already looks great!
Thank you! Fortunately everything seems to have taken the move in stride so far so I’m very pleased and relieved.

I was thinking of adding one of those prefabricated reef pillars to the far right but I’m starting to have second thought about that. Would be nice with some extra space to mount corals to though...

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really longterm at the moment.
Before leaving UAE, I had the tank and cabinet made and have moved this to home already, waiting for a house.
I wanted to go fresh water, but reefing is crying harder....
Luckily I can go both ways with this tank.

20200107_230729.jpg
That’s a sweet setup! It definitely deserves to house a reef and not some lousy tetras or something.

In all honesty I was contemplating starting up a FW tank myself before I decided to upgrade the reef tank.
I used to keep arowanas and other predators in the past and I kind of do look stupid having a big red Asian arowana tattoo on my arm but no Asian arowanas.
I think that’s out of the question now, if I mentioned it the wife would blow a gasket haha.

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a thing!

When I was doing the plumbing for the tank 14 days ago I ran out of pipes and had to visit my LFS.
He had a couple of moorish idols that just arrived and knew that’s something that I would be interested in.
Being the good guy that he is he told me that he would put it on layaway so that I could pick it up in a couple of weeks provided the upgrade went ok.
Well, everything did go ok so now I’ve picked it up and it’s in the tank.

It’s been about six hours since I brought it home and so far so good I would say, the regal has been chasing it like it does to all new additions but no actual damage is be. It’s eaten mysis, brine, nori and angel formula and it’s picking on pellets.
08F76293-5F1A-4440-B0DE-3DA416B7363F.jpeg

Feeding video:

I also picked up a pair of puellaris gobys to help keep the sand clean now that I have a much larger footprint.
FFCEE06A-7583-44C9-BD80-C86751B9A659.jpeg

Lastly I’ve placed an order on a Orphek or3 blue plus LED bar to supplement my Giesemann Aurora. I would like to run the whites higher than 35% like I do now but they are very overpowering so some more blue light should allow me to increase them as well.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, That is brave to put a mooring idol in there.
It looks good though.

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, That is brave to put a mooring idol in there.
It looks good though.
There’s a fine line between bravery and stupidity, I’m just hoping that I can stumble butt backwards in to the “brave” territory.
Anyways, it’s now eating pellets as well so the plan is to get an auto feeder. Frequent feedings should hopefully dissuade it from nipping.

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of the moorish idol is doing well and gaining weight.
Favorite foods are frozen formula two and mysis so far but it’s eating other frozen foods and flakes/pellets as well.
I have the reversed problem that a lot of people have, it not to keen to pick of the sand bed and prefer to eat out of the water column.
It has a bit of a cloudy eye after what I suspect is a run-in with the regal.

The mailman dropped of a package today:
22D55E54-69F5-4FB7-8EAC-68E67E072D56.jpeg

I actually managed to mount it to the Aurora by modifying the mounts that came with it.
Man this thing really makes things pop! I think I need to get one more because you know, having only one makes the fixture to be uneven and stuff...I need it as a counterweight dangit!
7874C155-ECCB-4C7A-ADBF-28BFD18007D7.jpeg

I’m going to start of with having it on for one hour a day and increase that with one hour every three days, after that I’ll start cranking up the whites.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Compared with that last full tank shot, the Orphek really makes the colours come out.
Doesn't look that bad on the Aurora as well.

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Compared with that last full tank shot, the Orphek really makes the colours come out.
Doesn't look that bad on the Aurora as well.

Yeah! It’s a bit to blue for my taste but I’m hoping that when I ramp up the whites I can maintain most of the pop.
I’m thinking about perhaps powder coating the heat sinks white to match the Aurora but that’s headache for another day.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The picture might not do the real view justice, but I like the blue view much more.
I was a white-viewer before but once I started moving from T5 to LED, those white days were over.

Will an extra layer of paint not influence the cooling capacities of the heat sink?

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The picture might not do the real view justice, but I like the blue view much more.
I was a white-viewer before but once I started moving from T5 to LED, those white days were over.

Will an extra layer of paint not influence the cooling capacities of the heat sink?
It might just be that The look of my old MH/T5 combo that I loved is stuck in my head hehe.

I talked with Orphek and they didn’t seem to think it would be a problem, however, if I decide to try it I’ll definitely make sure that it doesn’t affect warranty or something like that.

Sm51498

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might just be that The look of my old MH/T5 combo that I loved is stuck in my head hehe.

I talked with Orphek and they didn’t seem to think it would be a problem, however, if I decide to try it I’ll definitely make sure that it doesn’t affect warranty or something like that.
I understand chasing that look from early in the hobby. I still chase the look of the old URI Super actinic VHO bulbs lol.

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand chasing that look from early in the hobby. I still chase the look of the old URI Super actinic VHO bulbs lol.

Do you know what spectrum it had? I believe Orphek will custom make their bars to whatever spectrum you like for a surcharge of like 10$ or something like that.

Sm51498

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know what spectrum it had? I believe Orphek will custom make their bars to whatever spectrum you like for a surcharge of like 10$ or something like that.
That is interesting, I did not know that. I would need to see if anyone has it recorded somewhere.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back