OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe try building some pillars on you own? I bought some Marco-ish rocks, broke them down with a hammer and chisel, pieced them together with glue and AF Stonefix into some interesting shapes. Wasn't too time consuming nor expensive, actually not that difficult either.

I might try that. I’ve done a couple of attempts before but it has mostly ended in frustration.
I’m artistically challenged in a way that almost borders on some sort of condition ;)

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations on your daughter. I am glad to hear she is well and healthy.
I like the idea of a pillar, but would avoid putting it in the far corner. I believe visually it will look better to put it at around 2/3 as it will draw attention to the rest of the practically even scape.

I love the scape as it is now. Maybe, you can get a staghorn or other vertical growing coral instead?

Thanks man! It was a 38h ordeal for the wife but she’s a champ.

I think you are correct in that. I have a very uninteresting square rock that I could remove to make space just where you are thinking. I think I’ll do that.

I also like the scale as is, the main problem is that it’s all old rock that is already thick with corals haha.
I do need a staghorn of some sort, don’t have a single one in the tank (does a green skimmer count?).

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks man! It was a 38h ordeal for the wife but she’s a champ.

I think you are correct in that. I have a very uninteresting square rock that I could remove to make space just where you are thinking. I think I’ll do that.

I also like the scale as is, the main problem is that it’s all old rock that is already thick with corals haha.
I do need a staghorn of some sort, don’t have a single one in the tank (does a green skimmer count?).
Green slimers count as well. I thought you had one already. I love the patterns they grow and is one of the corals I consider a must in a tank.

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just realized today that my alveopora has grown something crazy since I got it a year ago when I stumbled over a old picture:
4E913927-21DF-461F-A1DD-9730F437760E.jpeg

C5CEC7D2-9A49-49D2-9676-1C64BBA49988.jpeg

Nice to see that it appears to be thriving :)

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve helped a local reefer with some 3D blueprints for his new custom tank from the same guy who built mine.
He’s shutting down his current system and said that I could come pick out some stuff as a thanks for the help...that way he can also get some pieces back when he starts upper again.

Here’s some of the stuff:
8524ABDD-498A-415F-BD5D-56DBF91B6031.jpeg
DC95A569-E34C-4441-B167-7BB588750698.jpeg
49DD5C70-12E1-48C5-97E6-26E84719D243.jpeg

Can’t really capture the true color but it’s really orange/gold
56B85027-B97C-4962-BE4E-04074B2F14C2.jpeg
7C0FA93E-5E24-46DB-A6A2-DD69A9708B8F.jpeg
DFC22E52-9781-46F8-8BB7-85BB6D7BBB29.jpeg
C9C482EE-826C-4779-BCA1-BB49A7D49D67.jpeg

I need a new tank, the darn rock work is already full to the brim with corals
I’m going to find a better placement for the orange euphyllia
EFF47D46-A07A-4682-8F24-CBEC5F6D1593.jpeg

Some random fish pictures since I was taking photos
59CA47DD-1263-4A80-B0B5-DFA3E5FBD121.jpeg
53CB6AA7-E982-4FD5-A2EF-AF9433005F56.jpeg
182B4722-16C9-4FB7-AFC7-3D6C3A8BF9E9.jpeg

I need to clean my back glass but can’t find my razor blade scraper...oh well.

In other news I’m going to start dosing kalkwasser to raise PH and it should also help with decreasing the Consumption of ATI essentials pro for a bit of cost saving. CD385AA3-716D-498A-AF0C-71CFF52D8BC2.jpeg

Last edited:

hwastesson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s shutting down his current system and said that I could come pick out some stuff as a thanks for the help

In other news I’m going to start dosing kalkwasser to raise PH and it should also help with decreasing the Consumption of ATI essentials pro for a bit of cost saving.

Beautiful fish and corals. I've seen him trying to get rid of his last corals at SV, oh how I wish my tank was running rn...
How are you planning on dosing kalkwasser?

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful fish and corals. I've seen him trying to get rid of his last corals at SV, oh how I wish my tank was running rn...
How are you planning on dosing kalkwasser?
Thank you! It’s starting to look alright.
I’ve had some problems with low nutrients causing a slight Dino outbreak but through decreasing the lighting over the refugium and dry skimming it seems to be turning around.

Yeah, he has some very nice pieces for very reasonable prices.
The once I have from him is stuff that he doesn’t want to sell so I’m babysitting them hehe.

I’m adding it via a dosing pump. Mixed up about 15L of solution in a container below the sump. I’m starting with a dose of 1000ml per day spread out over 24 doses.

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you stirring it inside the container?
No, I stir it up initially to make a saturated solution and the excess kalk settles on the bottom of the container. There will be some waste by doing it that way but hey, it’s cheap as dirt.
Might look in to a stirrer down the line if I’m getting the results I’m expecting.

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, the same guy talked me in to taking six more colonies :eek:
He did however have to go out and buy some ceramic rock formations from arka for me to be able to place them.

Now it’s truly full!
D691A659-B946-49D8-B123-DB458674CE72.jpeg

Checking out the new arrivals
5D5CE9F0-BD0F-4EC2-B654-3106FE63959E.jpeg

That’s 11 colonies of various sizes added the last week. I’m going to have to keep a real close eye on the kh consumption for a while.

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I’ve said a couple of posts back I set myself a challenge to not buy any livestock that I couldn’t finance by selling frags.
Well, I managed to sell a bunch and it just so happens that this guy became available:
8C29F382-8D1D-4CC5-8DAA-F74D396071E5.jpeg

ADB3DD52-61DC-4E64-BA1F-DCFBBA4D69A5.jpeg

Achilles in the house!
I got it yesterday through my LFS but it came straight from De Jong and I picked it up in the bag.
It’s about 9cm and in great condition.
The regal angel and purple tang tried giving it crap but the Achilles fought back and put them in in their place. Now everything seems peaceful and everyone is getting along...more or less.

It’s actually eating, not with great vigor but so far its eaten mysis, frozen formula two and flakes so I’m somewhat optimistic.
Hopefully it will start taking to pellets and nori, at the moment it’s terrified of the feeding pouch haha

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the achilles:
Everything is still peaceful in the tank, some minor scuffles with the purple tang but nothing major.
It has eaten some pellets , masstick and shredded nori but the feeding pouch is still a no-go.
It’s still not pigging out like my other fish but I think it’s still adjusting to the tank and the foods on offer.
I’m going to try rubber banding some nori to a rock tomorrow and see if that’s more appealing to it.

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shot a quick video of the tank. (Watch it from YouTube, the quality here looks horrible).

I’ve done a slight rescape to better accommodate the new corals. I think I like the two separate islands better.
Sorry for the junk floating around, I just moved a couple of rocks :)

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was given a bunch of aquaforest products by a buddy of mine who apparently went a little hog wild when ordering stuff and bought to much. Lucifer the cat is providing quality control.
047E7203-F69B-4D78-BE78-92D9990DD5A6.jpeg

I’m starting with 2/3 of the recommended dosages and dosing the different supplements every other day in accordance with aquaforests instructions.
From what I understand one of the products (can’t remember which one) contains copper to limit the amount of zooxanthellae for brighter colors. I believe it’s the same methodology thing that Zeo has been doing for a while.
Should be interesting to see what the results will be and if it sucks it was free haha

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shot a quick video of the tank. (Watch it from YouTube, the quality here looks horrible).

I’ve done a slight rescape to better accommodate the new corals. I think I like the two separate islands better.
Sorry for the junk floating around, I just moved a couple of rocks :)

Looking great.
The Moorish Idol has grown significantly and its dorsal fin is more than mesmerizing, floating through the water with each movement.
Love it.

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great.
The Moorish Idol has grown significantly and its dorsal fin is more than mesmerizing, floating through the water with each movement.
Love it.
Thanks!
Yeah, that guy is a dang pig. It’s constantly eating and never seems to get full. I don’t think it read its own manual about being difficult to get feeding properly.

One worrying thing is that my regal has started behaving out of character the last month, being very reclusive and for the last few day didn’t eat. A total shift from it being a bully and eating everything that went in the tank.
No visible damage or anything. I just hope it turn around, my favorite fish by far.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back