Michael’s 140g kind of shallow sps build. Reefing in Sweden

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still looking great, Michael.
With those pigs in the tank, that skimmer cup will be more than necessary now.

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a mandarin a while back. It was real skinny and since I hadn’t seen it for about a month I just assumed it up and died on me.
I got a decent surprise when it all of a sudden swam across one of the open areas in the tank
94E44E81-10BE-4D9C-9B3E-24E1D6AB74B2.jpeg

It looks like it has put on a ton of weight so whatever it’s been doing seemed to have had a positive effect :)

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve recently started a Instagram account around the tank. I figured that it could be cool to have a picture journal to look back on and perhaps it might be interesting for someone else as well :)

The achilles has really been putting on some size lately and the teardrop is starting to get bigger :)

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got to running water pipes and installing a utility sink in my sump room!
Ow I just have to run lines from the RO and saltwater bins (and hope that the small pumps that came with the auto aqua AWC can handle the head pressure) and refilling any reservoirs should be a thing of the past.
A56D186D-3C18-4256-881E-4F348AEA429A.jpeg

And I need to clad that water pipe with some plastic coverings...dang that thing is ugly haha!

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit of windex action!

In other news I should be getting some nice torches in a little bit. It’s just a matter of waiting a bit more for Sweden to thaw so shipping is possible :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A bit of windex action!

In other news I should be getting some nice torches in a little bit. It’s just a matter of waiting a bit more for Sweden to thaw so shipping is possible :)

Man that reef is stunning!!

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Yeah, I’m up to about six feedings a day now haha.

Have you decided if you’re going salt or fresh in that sweet tank of yours?
The tank is looking great. The idol is indeed a monster already.

No decision yet. We are still in between location.
We recetnly bought a house that will be finished by the end of the year. So for now there is no need for a tank.
Maybe I will be back in a couple of years... and it will be salty... I have learned that by now.

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is looking great. The idol is indeed a monster already.

No decision yet. We are still in between location.
We recetnly bought a house that will be finished by the end of the year. So for now there is no need for a tank.
Maybe I will be back in a couple of years... and it will be salty... I have learned that by now.
Awesome! If you’re building your house a dedicated fish-room is a given ;)

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a cleaner wrasse yesterday. First time I’ve owned this species so it’s going to be interesting. It seemed to have settled in well and is already eating prepared foods :)

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The orpheks are really doing the business during the evenings.

The cleaner wrasse seems to be settling in nicely. One worry that I have is that it doesn’t seem to show any interest towards cleaning the fish. If that’s the case I have the worst luck, I’m currently totaling 2x cleaner shrimp, 1x neon goby and the wrasse...non of them are doing the job advertised haha.

I got sick of shelling out 30$ (SEK) a month for replacement rolls for the clarisea so I took a gamble and bought this thing of Amazon
1614702385154.jpeg

It’s a 90cm x 200m filter roll. Cost me about 400sek compared to 260sek for a clarisea roll. I’ll report back on if it works or not.

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been looking for a high quality gold torch for a good long while but sadly there are none to be had here in Sweden.
As luck would have it I stumbled over a retailer from Belgium that had some really nice ones in stock. Ordered this guy and should have it here by Wednesday
1615206204584.jpeg

Managed to get some fairly cool slow motion footage of the copperband feeding

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been looking for a nice gold torch for some time. Haven given up on finding one in Sweden I decided to bite the bullet and look abroad.

I found a retailer in Belgium who had some seriously nice 24k torches available and took the plunge.

It arrived yesterday, about 24h after being shipped. Unfortunately we had some cold weather in the Stockholm area and after spending 8h on a truck the water was ice cold when I revived it and it did indeed look grim.
1615479019056.jpeg

It had some tissue loss around the polyp but after floating it for one hour or so it actually started to puff up somewhat.

This was later yesterday evening and there seemed to be some hope of it making it through:
1615479140616.jpeg

To make matters worse I had some stuff to do at work today that meant that I couldn’t work from my home office. Been antsy as heck because I haven’t been able to check up on it haha.
Here’s to that I don’t find a melted torch when I get back from the office.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really hope the torch is making it. It shows great colours, even in this rough state.
Let me know where you have it from in Belgium. It can come in handy later.

Found you also on IG. Love your photos and videos.

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really hope the torch is making it. It shows great colours, even in this rough state.
Let me know where you have it from in Belgium. It can come in handy later.

Found you also on IG. Love your photos and videos.
As do I! It looks to be improving, tentacles were more extended today so I’m hopeful.
I got it from Coral-corner. I’ve had some dialogue wit the guys there and they seem to be a top notch bunch.

Thanks buddy! Found you as well :)
The idea is to have something to keep myself busy with when I eventually go on paternity leave haha

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the torch didn’t make it. It did show some positive signs but in the end what I suspect was a bacterial infection took hold and killed it of. Major bummer.

On the other hand the tank is doing well. This goni is really loving life right now

I also just bought a deltec kalkwasser reactor. Now I just need to find a decent peristaltic pump to go with it as I don’t want to hook it to my ATO since you lose a bunch of control.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back