OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must say that I’m fairly happy with the maxspect duo, very quiet and I could remove the pump that was running my UV filter which was nice.
The one downside is that I find the UI of the controller freaking horrible...not a major issue as I’m not going to be messing around with any settings after the initial setup.

In other news the CBB is eating mysis and masstick very well (doesn’t like clams though which is strange). I’m slightly worried about the fact that it didn’t seem to be putting on weight as I would have hoped it would.
To help this further I build a feeder for it last night with some junk I had laying around and it seemed to work fairly well (stupid blues):

DD1A9A31-0022-40FB-A1D4-92BBABB80715.jpeg

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first major remodeling project in the new house is kicking of tomorrow, we’re completely tearing out the old spa/sauna room in the basement, redoing it from scratch + knocking down a couple of walls for good measure.
Since they will be tearing up the concrete and stuff I figure that it’s going to get fairly dusty. It’s not that close to the tank but I thought it best to put up some sort of protection.

Before:
0A940EC3-5F3B-4CA5-98E9-1A0CACFADCE5.jpeg

After
AAD650E6-C2F3-48E0-8050-D385B8845C18.jpeg

Can’t be good for the PH and I'm a little bit worried about overheating the lights. I left some gaps so that the heat is able to escape.

The project will take five weeks from start to finish but hopefully this stuff won’t have to be up for the duration.

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I did something unbelievably stupid...

A couple of weeks ago I noticed a bit of STN on a myagi tort. I try not to freak out over stuff like that, sometimes a coral just starts acting up for no reason.
But then a tenuis also started to losing tissue and diatoms started to appear on the sand, which was strange because I just changed the DI resin on my RO-unit.
I went to check on my RO tank and when I tested the water silica was through the roof. what’s stranger was that the water coming out of the RODI unit was fine.

Last time I filled it I was in kind of a hurry and somehow I must have put the wrong line in the storage bin.
I’ve been topping of and did a water change with freaking waste water!!
If that’s not the most avoidable problem I’ve ever had I don’t know what is.

Hopefully not to much damage have been done. I added a bunch of carbon and did a 20% water change as a first step, if things don’t turn around I’ll keep doing WCs.

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dang builders thought this was the perfect place to store all their materials o_O

D0CEFFF8-B8D9-49DC-851A-FFD6FD8C97D7.jpeg

The good news is that on my request they put up a couple of airlocks to keep any dust out so I no longer need to cover the tank :)

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are the corals doing after the water line waste water mishap?
Good luck with the renovations.

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are the corals doing after the water line waste water mishap?
Good luck with the renovations.
Most of them seem to be fine, however I have a couple who are not.
My red planet that has been growing like a weed has started sliming and developing some tissue necrosis, a tenuis looks like like it’s going to bite the dust.
The good news is that the tissue recession seems to have stopped on the tort and it’s having some PE.
Going to continue doing water changes and hope for the best.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sent in a ICP test to ATI to assess how out of whack my parameters were due to the RO-fiasco, Here are the results:

What’s strange is that nothing seems to be terribly elevated, my export measures must have worked...worked a little bit to well as a matter of fact, as you can see I literally no detectable phosphate and nitrates are terribly low. I’ve always had trouble with keeping nutrients up so I guess I shouldn’t have increased the photo-period of my refugium.
Going to feed like a madman and increase the dose of acro-power to remedy this.

I’m also low on iodine and high on manganese. I’m not going to worry about the manganese but going to look in to picking up some iodine.

My Hanna checker seems to be a bit off since it’s showing a kh of 7.5, perhaps a bad batch of reagent.
I also think my refractometer needs to be calibrated since I’m getting 1.026 on it.

Any other thoughts?

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luckily the tank seems to be recovering and alk consumption has started to increase once again, very happy about that!

Something else that I’m fairly pleased with
Is that the CBB has finally gained some weight compared to the emaciated state which I got it in. It’s still not all there yet but I think we’re on the right track:
D5C57DB8-C924-44F2-B6A1-21A21881225A.jpeg

Lastly due to the ongoing remodeling of our place I figured I might as well get a larger tank while we are at it. I’m going to be using this thread for that project: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/new-tank-in-sweden-planning-stage.698729/#post-7194679

Last edited:
OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is definitely recovering with a much higher uptake of alk and the fish seems to be enjoying the increased feedings I’m doing to rise nutrients:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started a separate thread for this project but I figured that it would be more fun to keep everything under one roof.
Ripoff from the other thread:

A little backstory: Me and my wife recently sold our townhouse and bought a house a bit farther away from the city.
We are now in the the middle of completely renovating all 125m2 of the basement and I thought why not try to incorporate a new tank in these plans.

As it happens I’ve found a very good spot for it after we’ve knocked down the wall between these two rooms:

09B9B272-5664-428C-AEB5-D4B34796BF85.jpeg

B1A4BC3E-F4D2-44DE-B13D-8EF9EE5A2119.jpeg

DD6CB728-4981-421A-9D66-4C920AF8F9D9.jpeg

This is one of a few that will be coming down. They had seven kids so lots of rooms haha. The aim is to creat one big room for relaxing and hanging out.
Concept:

509C4172-2EF9-48F2-BA50-4DEFAE723710.png

Another appealing factor about this placement is that behind the wall that the tank will stand up against is a unfurnished room that the wife is fine with me hogging. That means that I can run the plumbing through the wall and have an external sump. No more rummaging around under the stand baby!!
Looks like crap at the moment but that’s actually a positive since I have free reign to do what I want

80F22E41-3024-4F15-8CBC-271451356248.jpeg

I’ll also need to tile the floor and spruce up the walls in the future sump-room. There’s actually a faucet in that room but strangely enough there’s no drain to be found. I’ll have a plumber look in to the possibility of placing a drain there...would be nice to have.

As for the tank itself it will be a custom 150x70x50 (cm) with low iron glass.

77BA6945-F6E0-4990-B032-B20DB4D09237.png

The builder will be Akwarium Szczecin out of Poland and they will deliver it to my doorstep here in Sweden.
It might sound strange to have it shipped from another country but firstly they do some amazing work and secondly it’s basically half the price of having it made locally (shipping included).

The one bad thing about this is the placement of my current tank, I’m going to have to move it out of the room and set it up in my man cave so that we can work on the room.

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next outtake from the other thread:

Right, I’ve now placed the order for the tank and stand (it was somewhat of a challenge, the guy sucks at responding but since I was warned of this before I contacted them it wasn’t a problem).
Delivery time should be about 8 weeks but with everything that’s going on I’m not holding my breath.

The stand will be made of steel and I will build the surrounding cabinet myself since the quote I got was a bit much.
It’s going to be nice to have a proper stand after having to deal with the crap quality of the Red sea stand haha.

I will be going with clear silicone since I like the clean look but I’m having trouble with the color of the background. Black, blue, clear or tinted...Help!

I’ve decided to not knock down the wall separating the two rooms as a first stage of the project but rather fix the room that the tank will be going in to first, move everything over to the new tank, do the other room and then tear down the wall.
Doing it this way will mean that I don’t have move the existing tank :)

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And now we’re all caught up!

I’ve since my last post ripped out the entire room that I will be using for my sump. Tearing down the tiles, redoing the walls and putting down vinyl flooring:
CC90E3AA-CC7D-4CC3-B0DE-320F90785142.jpeg

D670525D-9D76-4B06-9B57-54E4115F107D.jpeg

509AF435-C333-4389-9022-1208C1C7C4DD.jpeg

A buddy of mine will also come in and re-do all of the electrical so that it’s fit for purpose.

I didn’t think that I would be messing with that dividing wall any time soon but I realized that I wouldn’t be able to get the new tank in place with it being there.
The previous owner built this dang like
It was a load bearing exterior wall!
03F3AA3E-FD95-45E6-BD83-C700CB874A17.jpeg

2BA9A7FC-183A-42B0-B9EA-B7EDC3928187.jpeg

BA5D61EA-F828-4C4C-BD1B-7DF838FEC23D.jpeg
E1F9F913-AF1C-4060-8533-9C8DCFC64253.jpeg
47291E9E-5E7B-4481-8148-B4A6378305CD.jpeg

freaking Spider-Man...die!!!
387735B3-BC7C-44AB-9155-BE43DFF62BB4.jpeg

So far so good I’d say...and I’m very lucky I have the wife fooled that this is all for some sort of remodeling effort and the new tank is just a bonus.

Now I’m just hoping that this Covid crap won’t delay the delivery of the tank for to dang long.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, what a great update.
I am very excited to see this one come to life.

Congratulations on the house.

I love the dimensions of the new tank. Close to the reefer size, but a little wider.

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, what a great update.
I am very excited to see this one come to life.

Congratulations on the house.

I love the dimensions of the new tank. Close to the reefer size, but a little wider.

Thank you! We’re very happy with it. Going to uncover the pool the next weekend so that’s the next milestone haha.

I've always wanted something with a bit more depth, should open up some interesting possibilities.

First pice of equipment for the new tank just arrived. I tested them on the reefer and could hardly go over 10% without them kicking up a storm.
FDBACBD2-C6E8-4358-9F0B-0C3DCE33E8E8.jpeg

Inspected upon arrival
71F8EB8B-B73A-4E71-8588-BB68CB5569C5.jpeg

one more piece of good news is that this guys in finally getting noticeably fatter :)
85365FE0-1DEF-4E5D-93C6-87A5CAA5BCFD.jpeg

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve decided on one more pieces of equipment for the upgrade, a clarisea SK5000.
It’s going to be awesome not having to change out the floss in the media cups anymore.
I will also implement automatic water changes and I’m leaning towards a smart aqua awc kit, however, I recently started reading about the kore 7th from pacific sun that could not only do the AWCs but also automate testing for alk via the khlab addition. There’s not a lot of information about this thing, any first hand experiences?

Oh yeah, I also picked up a deltece 40w UV since my old 20w would be undersized.
I’m also contemplating adding ozone via my tunze skimmer. I remember that being extremely effective for water clarity when I used it back in the day.

In other news I’m going to proclaim victory in terms of the copper banded butterfly, I’ve had it for about five months and not only is it starting to get fat, it has also grown since it was added.

Now I have a regal and a cbb so I guess an Achilles would complete the trifecta, maybe something to look in to when the new tank is set up.

Speaking of the tank it should be delivered this weekend but I wouldn’t bet on it. The warnings were true, the dude is strait up horrible at communication :)

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the tank won’t be delivered this weekend but will ship from Poland Monday morning which should mean that I’ll have it Tuesday evening.
Hopefully I can manage to entice a buddy to come help haul it in to place on a weekday.

It should weigh just north of 100kg so it shouldn’t be a problem with two full sized adults....although I’m slightly worried about a specific turn that might be challenging ;Nailbiting

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, tank still hasn’t shipped and the guy keeps promising that it will ship next week and so on.
I'm not worried, it’s just irritating.

I was going to with the Kore 7th for AWCs/automatic kh testing but after reading some reviews I got cold feet and decided to go with an AWC smart aqua for automatic water changes, I also picked up the Clarisea sk5000
CF9B4C1F-7EE5-466E-95CD-87215B6F1E17.jpeg

I just wish I had a new tank to hook these up to haha

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the current environment has everything a little cattywampus right now. Hopefully it arrives soon and you can get it up and running.

Side note: Love the parquet flooring!!!

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the current environment has everything a little cattywampus right now. Hopefully it arrives soon and you can get it up and running.

Side note: Love the parquet flooring!!!

That could definitely play a part in it but there are several reefers here in Sweden who has gotten tanks from him and not once have I’ve heard about someone who had the whole process go smoothly...but I knew that going in so it’s not the end of the world.

Glad you like the flooring! It looked freakin awful when we moved in here due to the fact that the previous owners had big mastiffs and six/seven kids.
the contractors we brought in certainly worked some magic :)

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back