Micmol Thor x

Sabdali

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I've been looking around for new lighting on a budget for a mixed reef when I came across the micmol Thor x lights. After doing research on them, I've come to the conclusion that there's basically no research as it seems that very few people have used them and posted about it anywhere.

I wanted to ask on here if anyone has experience with the Thor series or even the micmol g3 pro lights. Overall, the lights seem really promising but I'd love more opinions on it

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have dealt with an older Micmol led fixture. It was very weak and the only way it would be useful is for a fish only tank or a reef tank that is only 10" to 12" deep.

Maybe these newer fixtures are better?

Also, the controller on the model I had was crap. And their customer service did send me a replacement, but it didn't work either! The fixture would turn on and off, and that's all!

I would only take a Micmol led fixture if they gave it to me free to test! Buyer beware!

OP
OP
Sabdali

Sabdali

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have dealt with an older Micmol led fixture. It was very weak and the only way it would be useful is for a fish only tank or a reef tank that is only 10" to 12" deep.

Maybe these newer fixtures are better?

Also, the controller on the model I had was crap. And their customer service did send me a replacement, but it didn't work either! The fixture would turn on and off, and that's all!

I would only take a Micmol led fixture if they gave it to me free to test! Buyer beware!
Yeah I saw a lot of info on their older models about this. I will say that these newer models, the Thor series, seem to be a cut above in terms of par but I don't have concrete numbers and there's literally no reviews around.

Thankfully, I found a good deal on some ai hydras locally or I probably would have tested these lights out

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AquaMaxx Prism LED lights are rebranded MicMol Aqua Air's iirc. There's a bit more reviews out there for the Prism's. MicMol is a solid budget brand popular in the UK.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see they have a hanging kit, if the bracket for the hanging kit just slides into the body like the old brackets do them I would say it’s a very dangerous combination attached to a wire unless they now provide screws to hold the bracket in place.
I have the mini on my nano and never figured out the controller. I just unplug it daily which is pretty annoying. I run it a 100% from day one but I don’t see how just two white diodes on the new pucks will look any good. I wonder what watt they drive the 3w diodes at?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back