How's everyone doing tonight? :)

Last edited by a moderator:

czhao1009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try pulse... (blue)
Also, reduce your air line valve more. :)
Thanks Cruz, roughly how much should I open the air valve to, 10%, 20%?

I briefly tried the pulse mode and it seems to be generating finer bubbles compared to reef crest. I'm still adjusting and see if my corals like the pulse mode or not :) I've set a timer to run the bubbles from 10pm to 8am everyday.

I still have a bit cyano issue, will keep an eye on it.

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Cruz, roughly how much should I open the air valve to, 10%, 20%?

I briefly tried the pulse mode and it seems to be generating finer bubbles compared to reef crest. I'm still adjusting and see if my corals like the pulse mode or not :) I've set a timer to run the bubbles from 10pm to 8am everyday.

I still have a bit cyano issue, will keep an eye on it.
5 to 10% should suffice... it's the pressure you need not necessarily the volume... :)

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you have too many bubbles?

I put both air stones near our two large returns, the air pump is rated at 126 GPH.

650 gallon system.
If you're getting bubbles popping at the surface of your DT (splashing significantly), then you have the wooden airstones a bit too close to the return pump intakes...

Try scooting them further away or place them in the weir section before the return pump chambers... this downward laminar flow will only allow for the smaller less buoyant bubbles to make it out the bottom of the weir...

The volume of air (126gph) isn't as important as the pressure your airpump creates on the inside of the airstone pushing out through the pores.
The smaller the pores, the smaller the bubbles... the smaller the pores, the higher pressure that is required.

Hope that helps, @nuxx :)

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're getting bubbles popping at the surface of your DT (splashing significantly), then you have the wooden airstones a bit too close to the return pump intakes...

Try scooting them further away or place them in the weir section before the return pump chambers... this downward laminar flow will only allow for the smaller less buoyant bubbles to make it out the bottom of the weir...

The volume of air (126gph) isn't as important as the pressure your airpump creates on the inside of the airstone pushing out through the pores.
The smaller the pores, the smaller the bubbles... the smaller the pores, the higher pressure that is required.

Using Lee's Wooden Airstone. I mean should you be able to see in the tank, or should it just ben filled with bubbles?

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is where all the kool kids are hanging out. :D
Hi Cruz! Thanks again for the texts with Ben. ;)

So this is the pump I'm using.
It's spec'd at up to 4.0 l/m and it's adjustable. Should I have it on full blast?
210218-luft-pmp-title.png

And I'm using this airstone

71tpyfoim9L._SY355_.jpg

Just started a couple days ago, running it from 10pm till 10am.
Some of you are talking about an air valve... do I need that?

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is where all the kool kids are hanging out. :D
Hi Cruz! Thanks again for the texts with Ben. ;)

So this is the pump I'm using.
It's spec'd at up to 4.0 l/m and it's adjustable. Should I have it on full blast?
210218-luft-pmp-title.png

And I'm using this airstone

71tpyfoim9L._SY355_.jpg

Just started a couple days ago, running it from 10pm till 10am.
Some of you are talking about an air valve... do I need that?
I like using an additional air valve and have the luft pump valve 50% open...

It's the pressure you need not necessarily the volume of air...

Oceanic is the Best Wooden Diffuser IMO... I'm sure there are others like Sanders, which is a harder wood (slower decomposition)
:) Happy Bubbling! :)

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like using an additional air valve and have the luft pump valve 50% open...

It's the pressure you need not necessarily the volume of air...

Oceanic is the Best Wooden Diffuser IMO... I'm sure there are others like Sanders, which is a harder wood (slower decomposition)
:) Happy Bubbling! :)
Thank you, sir!

And you mention around 5-10% open on the air valve... is there a visual cue I'm looking for?

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, sir!

And you mention around 5-10% open on the air valve... is there a visual cue I'm looking for?
Yes... just a fine cloud of bubbles coming out the sides...

Last edited by a moderator:

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, i had watched that vid before we started talking. :)
That's why I was asking last night about the amount of bubbles in the tank.
Almost nothing visible in this tank, and in most other vids you can barely see the coral there is such a cloud of bubbles shooting out of the returns.
I guess most people are doing it wrong! :)

My only issue is that I can't use my last baffle that leads to my return (far left).
After my baffle is a tray that holds a filter sponge (I don't run socks, I have a Triton system) so my air stone has to go in the return section.

i-vbNHKRq.jpg

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost nothing visible in this tank, and in most other vids you can barely see the coral there is such a cloud of bubbles shooting out of the returns.

My only issue is that I can't use my last baffle that leads to my return (far left).
After my baffle is a tray that holds a filter sponge (I don't run socks, I have a Triton system) so my air stone has to go in the return section.

i-vbNHKRq.jpg
No... not "wrong" per se... this is a very forgiveable method and it just takes a little adjustment to make it work for different sump styles and systems...

In your case I'd place the airstone in that grated baffle on the left... where you still will have high laminar flow... but you will get a lot of bubbles rising to the top of that return pump chamber...
To alleviate the salt creep and splashing/foam head in that section, utilize an open poret type sponge block across the whole return pump section to prevent splashing...

:)

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

i-vbNHKRq.jpg
BTW... Beautiful Sump, Dennis... :)

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW... Beautiful Sump, Dennis... :)
Thanks!
I have a thick course filter pad that sits in that tray.
I had run the air line down through that tray from the top, squeezing by the filter pad and attached the air stone underneath the egg crate.
If nothing else it was an easy way to secure the air stone. :D My suction cup wasn't holding.
So the rising bubbles hit the filter pad.

msderganc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!
I have a thick course filter pad that sits in that tray.
I had run the air line down through that tray from the top, squeezing by the filter pad and attached the air stone underneath the egg crate.
If nothing else it was an easy way to secure the air stone. :D My suction cup wasn't holding.
So the rising bubbles hit the filter pad.
Interested to see how this helps you. Maybe could you document before and after?

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Which needle valves are you buying?

Guess I need two :)

Getting some spray at the top of the tank :(

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which needle valves are you buying?

Guess I need two :)

Getting some spray at the top of the tank :(
Just grab the regular air line valves to start... :) the method is forgivable... :D no sweat, buddy! :)

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 43 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.1%
Back