Microbacter Start XLM. Patience is not my strong suit; tank cycling

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not new to saltwater aquariums but did take a long break. Missing the hobby and boredom from Corona Virus got the best of me and now I'm back. I just set up a 15 gallon column. Started last Friday (May 15th). I wanted to speed up my cycle so I tried out Brightwell aquatics Microbacter Start XLM & QuikCycl. I only added the Quikcycl the first day and the StartXLM every day for the last 6. I think I'm going to be stuck with the Nitrites for another week or so even though they advertise a 7 day cycle. Ammonia is dropping nicely. Still have some but it's steadily decreasing. NitrAtes are quite high (50) so clearly the bacteria is doing its job however Nitrites are stuck around 1-1.5 Patience is not my strong suit but I have no choice! Hopefully it happens sooner than later. Anything I can do to help or is this something I need to just let happen with time? I did a 15% water change yesterday like it says to do. Should I keep adding it for a few days? Should I add some more Quikcycl? Does anyone have experience with these products? I sound like such a Rookie! Lol

IMG_20200520_163320.jpg

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If patience is not your strong suit, you have 2 options... learn to be patient or sell your kit. The choice is yours. Nothing happens overnight here and as a matter of fact, it takes years... At least you are honest. For that, I have much respect for you. GLWS

OP
OP
Luckyduck

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good call. I think I just needed to hear it. For some reason I felt like I may have been doing something wrong but I should know it just takes time. A 7 day cycle is extremely short even though that's what Brightwell advertises.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I too am an impatient person. You can still be impatient, but with this, you can not. When I first got in the hobby a decade ago, I picked out a tank and a list of about 50 fish and called a local saltwater tank maintainer. He immediately informed me that my list wouldnt work because there are reef-safe, predator, and docile fish. I was look cool... I'll go reef safe. 10k$ and a month later hes adding water to my tank and a couple rocks. I ask him where the fish were. He said... you wont be adding those for a couple months...

And so right there and then I became a changed man. No longer could I throw down a wad of cash for instant gratification. Over the years I have learned to love the things in life that take time to age to perfection... cigars, wine, copper accents with patina, etc etc

Stick with it and it too may change your life a little bit for the better.

Obsessed Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started dosing tonight, from what I understand you shouldn’t add the XLM every day, just on the 4th and 6th day if your ammonia reads above .25ppm, according to their website. I wonder if adding to much could cause the spike in nitrites.

OP
OP
Luckyduck

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too am an impatient person. You can still be impatient, but with this, you can not. When I first got in the hobby a decade ago, I picked out a tank and a list of about 50 fish and called a local saltwater tank maintainer. He immediately informed me that my list wouldnt work because there are reef-safe, predator, and docile fish. I was look cool... I'll go reef safe. 10k$ and a month later hes adding water to my tank and a couple rocks. I ask him where the fish were. He said... you wont be adding those for a couple months...

And so right there and then I became a changed man. No longer could I throw down a wad of cash for instant gratification. Over the years I have learned to love the things in life that take time to age to perfection... cigars, wine, copper accents with patina, etc etc

Stick with it and it too may change your life a little bit for the better.
Lol the aspirations of a new aquarist. You'd think after doing it already for 7 years I would know how patient I need to be. Especially in the beginning. Get it right out the gate and it makes life easier down the road. You sound like a good guy, gotta take the time to enjoy the finer things in life! I started reefing when I was 18. Had many aquarium. A few reef tanks and a couple species specific (Sea horses in one & Angler in the other.) Technology for the hobby since I left the game has come leaps and bounds. There's some really cool stuff out there.

OP
OP
Luckyduck

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started dosing tonight, from what I understand you shouldn’t add the XLM every day, just on the 4th and 6th day if your ammonia reads above .25ppm, according to their website. I wonder if adding to much could cause the spike in nitrites.
Yea it does seem like that's what it says doesn't it. I have read a few other posts similar to mine and seems like 7 days is kind of a stretch. Specifically I read other people's Nitrites getting stuck for a week before finally coming down to 0. Keep me posted on how yours goes I'm very interested. What kind of filtration are you using? Is this a new setup or are you re-seeding an existing tank?

Last edited:

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If patience isn't your strong suit, a reef tank is a great opportunity to help improve there :cool: Some folks have been able to cycle with microbacter in a few days, some it takes about a month. Your nitrates will read high as long as you still have detectable nitrites in your system. But one morning, you'll wake up and nitrites will have vanished, and your nitrates will be much lower. Just hang in there and distract yourself with a good Netflix binge.

Obsessed Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea it does seem like that's what it says doesn't it. I have read a few other posts similar to mine and seems like 7 days is kind of a stretch. Specifically I read other people's Nitrites getting stuck for a week before finally coming down to 0. Keep me posted on how yours goes I'm very interested. What kind of filtration are you using? Is this a new setup or are you re-seeding an existing tank?

Seeding a fresh setup. Right now I don’t have any filtration running. It said to remove filter socks. I plan to run just a sock and some carbon in a reactor to start, but will explore other options as needed.

OP
OP
Luckyduck

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeding a fresh setup. Right now I don’t have any filtration running. It said to remove filter socks. I plan to run just a sock and some carbon in a reactor to start, but will explore other options as needed.
Cool man, new tanks are always fun! I have a CPR hang on back fuge with some Brightwell bio cubes & Brightwell Coral Lagoon Substrat in it but that's all I plan on running as far as filtration(I am running it now). I've always had luck especially in smaller tanks with biological filters. I'll be adding Cheato to the fuge as soon as I can sustain it. I only plan on adding 2 maybe 3 fish (all small species) so I shouldn't have a need for a skimmer. Get all the balance corrected in the beginning and the Cheato & bio cubes shouldn't have a problem with the bio load.

IMG_20200523_130734.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back