Microbacter7, Cycle and QT Meds

alex2400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello - I’m starting new tank and want to QT all fish with meds (Ich-x, prazipro, maybe maracyn) prior to entering the DT. Since I don’t currently have running system I have been dosing Microbacter7 into the QT tank with my two new clown inhabitants to cycle the tank. How long should I wait to starting the meds? I have a Seachem Ammonia Alert badge in the tank and ammonia levels are at safe levels. The instructions on the Microbacter bottle say to dose daily for two weeks with a new tank. I was thinking of starting the meds after the two week period. Should I wait longer than that? Also should I continue to dos Microbacter while dosing the meds? Should I remove the Ammonia Alert when dosing meds?

Bonus question: Should I be doing water changes when dosing Microbacter7? The bottle doesn’t give any instructions to water changes.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello - I’m starting new tank and want to QT all fish with meds (Ich-x, prazipro, maybe maracyn) prior to entering the DT. Since I don’t currently have running system I have been dosing Microbacter7 into the QT tank with my two new clown inhabitants to cycle the tank. How long should I wait to starting the meds? I have a Seachem Ammonia Alert badge in the tank and ammonia levels are at safe levels. The instructions on the Microbacter bottle say to dose daily for two weeks with a new tank. I was thinking of starting the meds after the two week period. Should I wait longer than that? Also should I continue to dos Microbacter while dosing the meds? Should I remove the Ammonia Alert when dosing meds?

Bonus question: Should I be doing water changes when dosing Microbacter7? The bottle doesn’t give any instructions to water changes.

AutumnReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do water changes when dosing the bacteria but wait 2 days or so after dosing so that the bacteria can settle.

As for medicine, I would start whenever the fish enter. Not doing so just means that if something happens then you have to make the QT longer than you would have if they were medicated from the start. Some people wait till they see something, but again I find this unhelpful unless there is some concern about the specific fish and a reaction to a medicine as again it just means that you wait till the fish is in danger before doing something and that resets the QT time.

albertski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Did you end up cycling the tank before you placed fish in them? I'm on day two. I'm ghost feeding and using Microbacter7 but I have no idea if it is working. Ammonia badge never changed from Safe.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you end up cycling the tank before you placed fish in them? I'm on day two. I'm ghost feeding and using Microbacter7 but I have no idea if it is working. Ammonia badge never changed from Safe.
Check nitrate

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 70 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back