Micromussa (a.k.a Acan Lord) orange out?

Vergilius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any recommendations on how to prevent or reverse an acan "orange out"?

It looks like it even happens to coral vendors.
20200326_164231.jpg

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about orange but mine seem to change color quicker under lower lighting conditions.

shaggydoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found nearly all LPS will change color under different lighting conditions. General rule, less light usually brings out more colors, but the type of light also plays a big factor. I've had multiple acans turn red that were a rainbow of colors in the LFS. I've since moved a couple of these colonies lower in my tank and even into shaded areas, and I've seen some of the rainbow colors returning.

I've also had other LPS turn a variety of colors when they were brown in the store. Changing colors is half the fun, and is why I steer clear from very expensive pieces just because they have a lot of colors. I pretty much plan on things changing when they get into my own system, and I love it when the ugliest brown $5 frag at the store turns into this teal and orange beauty:

49601693921_92b74f675f_c.jpg

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All corals color up depending on alot of factors. Usually high end venders have all these pretty dialed in and way above what we can achieve in our systems. Watch any coral documentary and try to spot any rainbows or highly florescent colors, there are very very few (less than 0.1 %) yet our tanks look like a glow fish tank under a black light. It's all a product of artificial light and the veriences there in. Colors will shift and corals will change. Nothing we can do about it short of 100%replicating the tank they came from.

Perfect example is the strawberry shortcake acro, hundreds are purchased and only very few retain the colors they were purchased for. This happens to all corals to a lesser extent. Some of my corals have shifted corals some for the better some for the worst, it's just part of the game. I have one acan that is now a rainbow that I originally purchased as a deep red. Shame as I really liked that deep red lol.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back