Microscope dino ID help!

Deltec

Shiva

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Hi everyone,

I recently found out that I've been having a dino issue, and I got myself a cheap micrscope to ID them. I'm currently trying Dino X (on the third dose today), and it doesn't seem to be helping much; at least so far. Based on what I'm seeing in the microscope though, I'm starting to doubt if it is indeed dinos? Reef experts please do let me know your thoughts!

My parameters:
SG: 33.5ppt
Ca: 460ppm
Mg: 1440ppm
KH: 8.9
NO3: 2-5ppm
PO4: 0.05ppm

Thanks!

20210630_174247.jpg

taricha

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
yeah, I would bet the bulk of that material is filamentous algae (GHA).

BanjoBandito

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
There's dinos in there. They'll camp out in algae and/or their snot growth. What's the magnification? Kinda looks like Prorocentrum? It's got that fried egg look to me....how's it moving?

OP
S

Shiva

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Hi everyone, thanks for the inputs. The magnification is at 1200x but I'm not sure how accurate that is considering its a pretty cheap microscope. I just managed to get a better sample, and it looks more like Ostreopsis to me now. What are your thoughts? So far the dino x seems to be helping, and I've managed to keep my nutrients at detectable levels. Ideally this goes away soon!

Attachments

• 5_6269520609881883298.mp4
    714.2 KB · Views: 0
BRS

BanjoBandito

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Hi everyone, thanks for the inputs. The magnification is at 1200x but I'm not sure how accurate that is considering its a pretty cheap microscope. I just managed to get a better sample, and it looks more like Ostreopsis to me now. What are your thoughts? So far the dino x seems to be helping, and I've managed to keep my nutrients at detectable levels. Ideally this goes away soon!
Def. Ostreopsis. They have a "cyst" shell around them so they can be stubborn. Best action is to run a UV (at night or 24/7) since the enter the water column at night. I did a 4x round dose of DINO X and ran a UV for 2 weeks and mine were gone. The "ELEGANCE CORAL" method involves creating a large bacteria bloom inside the tank for a week to "out compete" them, it can work too, it's just more labor intensive, but it won't damage/upset your corals like DINO X can.

OP
S

Shiva

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Thanks for all the advice! I'll continue with the dino x for now (4 doses in already), since I've only got a couple of mushrooms and zoas. So far, only my zoas seem a little ticked off, but they're still alive. Also I'm running a corallife turbo twist 3x UV sterilizer 24/7 now. I'll keep you guys updated on the progress! Thanks again!

Deltec

Do you quarantine new coral before adding it to your reef tank?

• YES always

Votes: 88 16.3%
  • Sometimes depending (tell us why)

Votes: 61 11.3%
  • NO never

Votes: 376 69.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 15 2.8%
Premium Algae Scrubbers from Turbo's Aquatics!